Trusted Contributor

Re: BECOMING SUSPICIOUS OF NEW SKINCARE

@Still Raining wrote:

Never trusted much from sales talk.  Remember Tatcha and her book?  Josie and her nuts?  Tarte and her clay?  Long ago E Grant and her algae?

I swear someone had volcano water off the coast of Hawaii?

All scams.

@Still Raining I didn't buy into the whole spiel about the book, but do like and use some of her products.  What I'm suspicious of are new Tatcha products now that the company has been sold.  Wish I could remember what she introduced, so I guess I did have some trust in what she was producing.  

Honored Contributor

What irks me is when they change the ingredients in my "tried and true" products.  Or discontinue the products altogether.

Then it's back to square one again.

Honored Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

Yes, I've wondered about this myself, especially when watching Denis of Tweak'd.  Do you think he's really climbing to "the highest elevations" as he puts it, to obtain all the rare ingredients for his hair products?

No @KKJ  I don't believe he's climbing the highest elevations to get these rare ingredients for his hair products.  He's using his marketing skills as he did with Ojon to successfully sell Tweak'd.  I don't use his products, but they must be good since a lot of people like them. 

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Great skin comes from two sources, good genes and youth.  The first one lasts and the second is ony temporary. 

@songbird   Those may help, but there is some good, honest skincare out there. Everyone's trying to make a dime and it gets confusing.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Never trusted much from sales talk.  Remember Tatcha and her book?  Josie and her nuts?  Tarte and her clay?  Long ago E Grant and her algae?

I swear someone had volcano water off the coast of Hawaii?

All scams.

@Still Raining   Don't forget Cindy Crawford's French melons. 

Honored Contributor

I don't watch QVC.  Used  to in the early 2000s and I was shopping cookware and Diamonique.  It seems like a lot of these beauty brands just sell on QVC??  I'm not familar with a lot of the products you ladies talk about.  

I think that there ARE new products with NEW ingredients as they are being discovered are beneficial for skincare.  What you guys are using now and loving was new at some point.  And maybe your mothers and grandmothers said the same thing about products you're lovin' Smiley Wink  For example, I had a sample of Glow Recipe PHA/BHA Toner.  Used it last night.  Not sure but that might have been the most hydrated and soft my facial skin has ever been since I was born Smiley Surprised  Do you think anyone, 50 years ago, would have thought about putting watermelon and cactus juices on their faces?  Do you think anyone, 50 years ago, would have thought about putting snail snot on their faces?  Don't even try to get between me and my snail snot! LOL

Tried and true is great.  There's a reason for that title.  But new products CAN evolve and someday may be a "tried and true" product Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have oily blemish prone skin and kept hearing how I need a moisterizer even for oily skin.  I finally learned to use my own common sense and never use anything but a serum that is not tacky.  That is it for moisture and I don't have anymore breakouts or milia.  I do believe there are some products that help your skin look better but nothing will turn back the clock.  Those pictures they show are a joke.  Most of the time I cannot even tell a difference in the pictures.  

Esteemed Contributor

I won't watch skin care presentations for that very reason.  Every new brand touts a new far-fetched ingredient to get our attention.  The more far-fetched, the more money they charge.   And people will pay it!   That's what amazes me.   Like Barnum said, there's one born every minute.  Yes, and they're watching TV shopping channels.

I stay with the tried and true.  The old standards.  I found products my skin loves and stick with them.  Skin care does not have to be expensive to work.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

What irks me is when they change the ingredients in my "tried and true" products.  Or discontinue the products altogether.

Then it's back to square one again.

Yes! And after touting their product for months and months, bam! Out comes the "new and improved" formula of the same stuff. If it was so good, why'd they have to improve it?

Honored Contributor

We’ve come along way from Venetian Ceruse.

Always Happy to use science, and my own common sense before trying anything new.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras