Respected Contributor

New It brown powder....Good review

I have been using the brow pencil from it and Wander and they are fine but you have to work to make it all look even.  I got the brow powder and it is so much easier and faster.

Valued Contributor

Re: BECCA Cosmetics Ingredients!!

@Flady1

Thank you for starting this thread and giving us a "heads up."  This is women helping women and that's beautiful.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I personally wouldn't trust the FDA as far as I could throw them.  However, my personal opinion after reading studies about paragens is this is a subject that some jumped on as being bad and it just snowballed and a lot of misleading information has been put out there about it. 

FWIW, this is from Paula Begoun's website about parabens.

Are Parabens a Problem?

For years, parabens have been the target of well-intentioned, but ultimately misleading, information about being the cause of certain health issues. You might be wondering why parabens are used in cosmetics in the first place. They’re a group of preservatives that help prevent the development of harmful organisms that would otherwise thrive in makeup and skincare products. So, how did they get such a bad rap?

Parabens: Fact and Fiction

The reason there’s concern about parabens is because of research suggesting they can alter or disrupt how some biological systems work, potentially leading to health problems. There are also claims that parabens can cause skin to break down. The problem? The studies that used to make these alarming allegations didn’t take into consideration how parabens are used in cosmetics products.

In some studies, high concentrations (up to 100%) of parabens were used. Much lower amounts, usually less than 1%, are used to preserve cosmetics. In other studies, large quantities of parabens were fed to lab animals, not applied topically as they are with skincare and makeup products.

Let’s clarify a common misconception: Most ingredients applied to skin do not get into the body. They remain within skin’s uppermost layers where they do the most good. One of skin’s natural roles is to shield the body from external influences, and that includes things we apply to it. Besides, if all those ingredients sailed right through skin, nothing would be left to protect it and lead to visible improvements.

Back to parabens: Safety panels across the globe have stated that parabens, as currently used in their cosmetic applications, are safe. In fact, they’re among the least-sensitizing preservatives available, even more so than several preservatives used in products labeled “paraben-free.”

If you choose to use products that don’t contain parabens, that’s a personal decision—but know that parabens are among the most-researched and safest ingredients to use when it comes to effectively preserving the makeup and skincare products we love.

References for this information:
Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology, May 2017, pages 320–325
Annual Review of Food Science Technology, February 2017, pages 371–390
Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry, June 2008, pages 4631–4636
International Journal of Toxicology, July 2008, pages 1–82

If you don't trust the FDA then who DO you trust?? The "References" listed in this post are known to use the FDA findings in much of their literature. I am a chemist and I have worked for the FDA in the past. I know how they do their testing and how they report it. I would trust the FDA more than I would some independent lab that has not been given any accreditation.

Trusted Contributor

I know, when I read them I felt uneasy, because for the last 5yrs I've been researching and using all natural and organic skincare and 90% makeup... I'll stick to my now skincare routine but I ordered and felt like I was cheating on a diet..lol

I ordered the tsv, under eye blue primer with powder...it reminded me of Trish Mc. product I used to use and liked.

Only tried Becca's lip&cheek product several yrs back and loved it as a blush. Now that I have cleaned out my old products its time to bring in some new...if I'm not happy back they go !!

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think many of the products we use we apply primers, sunscreens all before applying the makeup. Our skin was designed to protect us from outside contaminants — germs for the most part. 

I’m not worried. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I never gave the ingredients I thought because those products are not for my age group...Too much shimmer and shine shows imperfections... pores, wrinkles, lids that have lines, etc. 

When Jane T. was presenting, she even kept mentioning her daughters, gifts for graduation, etc. That’s the proper age group for a line based on “twinkle”....16-25.

Honored Contributor

The biggest problem with highlighters is that too many people over apply it & it looks shiny instead of twinkly or sparkly. A liitle bit is all that is needed. Obviously the TV demonstrations go overboard to show people what the color looks like. 

It should be subtle, not blatant on your skin.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I personally wouldn't trust the FDA as far as I could throw them.  However, my personal opinion after reading studies about paragens is this is a subject that some jumped on as being bad and it just snowballed and a lot of misleading information has been put out there about it. 

FWIW, this is from Paula Begoun's website about parabens.

Are Parabens a Problem?

For years, parabens have been the target of well-intentioned, but ultimately misleading, information about being the cause of certain health issues. You might be wondering why parabens are used in cosmetics in the first place. They’re a group of preservatives that help prevent the development of harmful organisms that would otherwise thrive in makeup and skincare products. So, how did they get such a bad rap?

Parabens: Fact and Fiction

The reason there’s concern about parabens is because of research suggesting they can alter or disrupt how some biological systems work, potentially leading to health problems. There are also claims that parabens can cause skin to break down. The problem? The studies that used to make these alarming allegations didn’t take into consideration how parabens are used in cosmetics products.

In some studies, high concentrations (up to 100%) of parabens were used. Much lower amounts, usually less than 1%, are used to preserve cosmetics. In other studies, large quantities of parabens were fed to lab animals, not applied topically as they are with skincare and makeup products.

Let’s clarify a common misconception: Most ingredients applied to skin do not get into the body. They remain within skin’s uppermost layers where they do the most good. One of skin’s natural roles is to shield the body from external influences, and that includes things we apply to it. Besides, if all those ingredients sailed right through skin, nothing would be left to protect it and lead to visible improvements.

Back to parabens: Safety panels across the globe have stated that parabens, as currently used in their cosmetic applications, are safe. In fact, they’re among the least-sensitizing preservatives available, even more so than several preservatives used in products labeled “paraben-free.”

If you choose to use products that don’t contain parabens, that’s a personal decision—but know that parabens are among the most-researched and safest ingredients to use when it comes to effectively preserving the makeup and skincare products we love.

References for this information:
Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology, May 2017, pages 320–325
Annual Review of Food Science Technology, February 2017, pages 371–390
Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry, June 2008, pages 4631–4636
International Journal of Toxicology, July 2008, pages 1–82

If you don't trust the FDA then who DO you trust?? The "References" listed in this post are known to use the FDA findings in much of their literature. I am a chemist and I have worked for the FDA in the past. I know how they do their testing and how they report it. I would trust the FDA more than I would some independent lab that has not been given any accreditation.

@SilleeMee. Yet you still use the under eye product?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

"SilleeMee. Yet you still use the under eye product?"

Yes, why wouldn't I use it?  As I posted earlier, the FDA has not told us that the ingredients are unsafe to use. I don't use talc on my face because for me it is too drying, especially around my eyes where the talc can make the skin around my eyes wrinkly. But there isn't any scientific proof that it causes health problems when it is used in cosmetics.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

"SilleeMee. Yet you still use the under eye product?"

Yes, why wouldn't I use it?  As I posted earlier, the FDA has not told us that the ingredients are unsafe to use. I don't use talc on my face because for me it is too drying, especially around my eyes where the talc can make the skin around my eyes wrinkly. But there isn't any scientific proof that it causes health problems when it is used in cosmetics.

@SilleeMee Must have misread your post re: undereye brighteners. You were advising not to use setting powder w/ product and that you do not.