Honored Contributor

Re: BECCA Cosmetics Ingredients!!

@makenaI won't even pretend to know if the ingredients are harmful, but I suspect you're right.   I just know I'm not all that worried about them.  I'm not eating them and I'm not putting them on tissues that have been long suspected to be susceptible to some of those ingredients

. I try not to sweat the small stuff -  so many of the things I could worry about, I'd  have so little contact with that the likelihood of harm is very slim.  Unless I try a cosmetic and have a negative reaction, I just use it. There's not an ingredient I live in fear of.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

I wore BECCA when it was a beautiful line founded by a lovely lady in Australia. Most of the products had names that reflected this, and they were good products. Once they were bought out of course the quality went down. I haven't tried anything by them since. Smiley Sad 

Same here! The company changed! Not for the better. Favorite mineral powder discontinued, Talk about disappointing. "IT cosmetics CC Airbrushed Powder" No talc or parabens. "Kristin Gelm" enjoy her YouTube channel. Love the finish! Beautiful never cakes or settles in wrinkles. Highly sensitive and irritating ingredients cause problems. IT cosmetics works for me. Woman Happy

Super Contributor

The "problem" with talc is the potential for asbestos to be present. Makeup is routinely tested and must test asbestos-free. Parabens are preservatives and are present in makeup in amounts that are far below the amount deemed "dangerous". The jury is still out on aluminum. It was once (but not anymore) thought to cause breast cancer, and is now possibly linked to Alzheimer's in rats. One could probably never use the amount of product needed to make a difference to their health. All in all, purchases are always a choice. I think most of us get bored before we ever even get halfway thru a makeup purchase anyway. I'm not worried.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

@makenaI won't even pretend to know if the ingredients are harmful, but I suspect you're right.   I just know I'm not all that worried about them.  I'm not eating them and I'm not putting them on tissues that have been long suspected to be susceptible to some of those ingredients

. I try not to sweat the small stuff -  so many of the things I could worry about, I'd  have so little contact with that the likelihood of harm is very slim.  Unless I try a cosmetic and have a negative reaction, I just use it. There's not an ingredient I live in fear of.

@millieshops Very well said!   Don't sweat the small stuff.  What was my excuse.  I went to bed one night healthy and woke up with a darn lymphoma and it wasn't from makeup.  Cancer can happen to anybody.  Makeup sure isn't the cause of it. 

Honored Contributor

Excuse me! Talc is irritating ingredient! Some of us rather not suffer. 

Trusted Contributor

@Flady1, thank you so much for this useful information.  I was impressed by the presentation and was quite tempted, but yes, I also have just read the ingredients.  Very appreciative for your post !

Honored Contributor

Watching now; it doesn't look so great on the model they are showing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The FDA has this to say about parabens:

https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm397393.htm

Until the FDA makes an official recall of parabens used in the cosmetic industry, then I don't feel there is anything wrong with using it.

As for aluminum in cosmetics...there has been no scientific proof that it causes health problems.

FDA and talc:

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productsingredients/ingredients/ucm293184.htm

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I personally wouldn't trust the FDA as far as I could throw them.  However, my personal opinion after reading studies about parabens is this is a subject that some jumped on as being bad and it just snowballed and a lot of misleading information has been put out there about it. 

FWIW, this is from Paula Begoun's website about parabens.

Are Parabens a Problem?

For years, parabens have been the target of well-intentioned, but ultimately misleading, information about being the cause of certain health issues. You might be wondering why parabens are used in cosmetics in the first place. They’re a group of preservatives that help prevent the development of harmful organisms that would otherwise thrive in makeup and skincare products. So, how did they get such a bad rap?

Parabens: Fact and Fiction

The reason there’s concern about parabens is because of research suggesting they can alter or disrupt how some biological systems work, potentially leading to health problems. There are also claims that parabens can cause skin to break down. The problem? The studies that used to make these alarming allegations didn’t take into consideration how parabens are used in cosmetics products.

In some studies, high concentrations (up to 100%) of parabens were used. Much lower amounts, usually less than 1%, are used to preserve cosmetics. In other studies, large quantities of parabens were fed to lab animals, not applied topically as they are with skincare and makeup products.

Let’s clarify a common misconception: Most ingredients applied to skin do not get into the body. They remain within skin’s uppermost layers where they do the most good. One of skin’s natural roles is to shield the body from external influences, and that includes things we apply to it. Besides, if all those ingredients sailed right through skin, nothing would be left to protect it and lead to visible improvements.

Back to parabens: Safety panels across the globe have stated that parabens, as currently used in their cosmetic applications, are safe. In fact, they’re among the least-sensitizing preservatives available, even more so than several preservatives used in products labeled “paraben-free.”

If you choose to use products that don’t contain parabens, that’s a personal decision—but know that parabens are among the most-researched and safest ingredients to use when it comes to effectively preserving the makeup and skincare products we love.

References for this information:
Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology, May 2017, pages 320–325
Annual Review of Food Science Technology, February 2017, pages 371–390
Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry, June 2008, pages 4631–4636
International Journal of Toxicology, July 2008, pages 1–82

Respected Contributor

That is why I have not been attracted to these products.  So many now offer good for you ingredients and leave the bad stuff out so why buy something like this.