Regular Contributor

Re: BEAUTY PURCHASES & REVIEWS

I'm from the red lipstick family.  My dad took a picture in about 1960 of me, my baby brother, my mom, grand mother & great grand mother.  My mom & grandmother had on the reddest of red lipsticks.  My grandmother wore red her whole life, my mom still does.  When I started wearing makeup in the 1970s, I went more for a burnt orange color, but when Estee Lauder discontinued my favorite, like the other women in my family, I went to red.  Got tired of it and lately have been buying Doll 10's nudes (gradually wore darker colors in the red family).  My mother HATES the look, but I don't and love Doris Dalton's moisturising lipsticks & glosses.  

But lately I wanted a change, so I decided to go back to the reds.  I've bought my mom a number of lipsticks from Sephora and she loves Make Up For Ever.  I've used it before, so I went to the Sephora in the Oculus (I live in NYC) and bought their Artist Rouge Creme C404.  

This is a great true red (orangish, not blueish) and it stays on my lips for hours.  I put it on before leaving home (after breakfast) but have coffee and lots of water at work in the morning.  It is still 80% visible.  Unless I have a greasy lunch, there will be a red tint afterward.  It wears off by the end of the work day, but I easily get 5-6 hours out of it.

The down-side of this lipstick is that it makes my lips feel as dry as a bone.  As I said, I've used other Make Up For Ever and didn't get they drying effect.  However it didn't last as long either.  It feels dry especially when compared to Doll 10.  But the Doll 10 does not last much past my morning coffee at work.  Six in one hand, 1/2 dozen in the other I guess.

I tried a number of products while in Sephora including a L'Occitane hand cream. I liked it and would have bought it, but they didn't have one of the sample out for purchase and since I was at lunch, I didn't want to hunt down a sales rep to find i in stock.  However, while in the check out liine, I saw a made for Xmas set of L'Occitane hand creams gift set. I bought them to try and am even more in love.  It had sample sizes of four of their hand creams.  They have a new customer and buy at least one of them again either from Sephora or from a L'Occitane store.  

Honored Contributor

@Maloyo,  Check out Laura Mercier's sheer lip collection.  Healthy Lips is very pretty and moisturizing.  Nordstrom carries it and free shpg and free returns.  It is one of my favorites because it's not bold but has color.

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

@Katcat1  Thanks for the recommendation.  Never tried this brand, but will look into it.

Trusted Contributor

I went a little crazy on a buying spree of Korean skincare.  I live in a hot/humid climate and still have an oily t-zone at 60 years old, so I'm always looking for non-greasy moisturizers and sunscreen.

At my Super Target, I purchased Whamisa Green Tea Foaming Cleansing Gel, the Moisturizer and Serum Toner.  I like all the products and am pleased that Target is carrying them.  I also picked up Missha Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence Intensive (not the new Moist version).  I really missed this essence and bought a back-up bottle, lol.

From iherb, I purchased Missha Time Revolution Night Repair Ampoule (this is a serum in a dropper bottle).  Nice serum and am pleased with it.  This serum is supposed to be a pretty good dupe of the Estee Lauder Night Repair serum.  Also purchased Mizon Black Snail All in One Cream (this is the one in the black jar) and like it as well.

I've been on the hunt for a BB/CC cream for my cool tone complexion (most of the CC creams are too yellow) and purchased My Skin Mentor Dr. G Perfect Pore Cover BB Cream SPF 30 PA++.  It has a tint with a pinkish cast and would work best for those with fair to light complexions but it works for me with powder foundation on top of it (I am light-medium).  I also bought Dr. G Brightening Up Sun Cream SPF 50+ PA+++, this is a sunscreen with a pale peachy-pink color that brightens the complexion and seems to work on different skin tones.  Since I have an oily t-zone, I also purchased Dr. G A-Clear Oil Control Sun Cream SPF 50+ PA+++, this is a non-tinted sunscreen that doesn't leave a white cast.  I'm pretty pleased with all three Dr. G products.   

Honored Contributor

Its Saturday so had some errands to run and, oh gee, what a surprise, found myself looking at Revlon at Walgreens and there just happened to be an Ulta acrosss the street.... LOL  At Walgreens I bought two more ColorStay Overtime lip colors.  They are buy one get one at 50% off so bought another Faithful Fawn and a Bare Maximum, plus two lip pencils and some Gold Bond hand lotion, which is excellent.  At Ulta I wanted to check out the Laura Gellar "Fix it" I think its called.  Its a finishing powder and I really liked it so picked up one of those and some Ulta eyeshadow primer.  I have very oily eyelids and this stuff keeps my eyeshadow on all day.  My daughter uses the Mario Bedescu (sp?) rosewater spray and I've been wanting to try that so got some and figured if i don't like it, I'll give it to her.  Then while standing in line I noticed they had "try me" sizes of Too Faced "Better Than ..." mascara and I've been wanting to try that too so got one of those.

Hope everyone is having a good Saturday!

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

Thanks to those that commented about BECCA.         Daysdee

@Daysdee My local Sephora had the illuminating primer I got in my Beauty Box as the 100 pt reward so I picked up another one. Your store might have it too if you want to try it?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was at Sephora today I found the Beautyblender liner.designer pro I had looked at online. It really does make detail work so much easier. Like cat eyes, eye contouring, keeping mascara off the rest of your eye, multi eyeliner looks ect. I used it to line white eyeliner above my black liner and also to do a cat eye and to contour and love this thing. It also comes with it's own mirrored storage case so it's easy to travel with and to not lose. 

It's an exclusive and limited edition product if anyone is interested. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

e.l.f. Blush Palette in the 'Light' version. Was looking for a new blush but I couldn't decide on any particular color so I picked this palette up this morning at Walmart for $6. It's huge and I love all the colors. The one on the lower-right has a slight glow/shimmer to it and it makes the apples look like they have a healthy glow. I love this.

16602655.jpg

Respected Contributor

My Beekman order came in last week...i got the trio of lip balm. I'm using the mint, and I like it very much. Makes my lips moist, and plump, and stays on all night. I also got Blaak Night EYE cream...im pleased with hydration, and smoothing of lines. Last, I got hand cream duo in Ylang, and I'll say, the smell is AWSOME!! It's a lighter cream, but leaves my hands soft. Not greasy, and absorbs after a short time. Overall...very happy with everything I've been ordering from Beekman.
Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom  Read your post about the Beautyblender - as well as others who had mentioned them - and was thinking "what the heck are they talking about?"  So went on Sephora's website to check it out.  Then realized I had one of those but had never used it as I just wasn't sure what to do with it.  Went on Youtube so I could see how to use it and tried it out with my foundation and powder on just one side of my face.  OMG!  I love it!  Going to order from Sephora the online only set with the two BB's and the cleanser and the two minis as I think those will be easier for me to use for concealer.

Once again, the ladies on this board have me spendin' my money!  HAHA