Respected Contributor

Re: BEAUTY GURUS - I NEED YOUR HELP!

@eddyandme wrote:

Sure, @momoftwo2007

Cleansers - have a medley which I switch around:  PTR, Purity, SSC (C, A and Gluc).

Skincare - SSC, occassionally Perricone (hate the smell); most recently, Elysee.  I change out products so skin doesn't get used to it.

Facials - PTR Black Mud (just did that this AM) and tossed out his Pumpkin (too harsh).

Have also used IT skincare and tossed out - didn't find effective on me.

I have used IT skincare and it did not agree with my skin.  I just started trying the Cereve's Skin Renewal Night Cream (Many on this board have recommended it). I have only been using it a couple days, but I have notice significant improvement with my skin.  

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Im no skin care guru for sure, but there may be a medical reason for the sudden change in your skin.  You may be dehydrated due to not drinking enough water, menopause, medications, salt intake, etc.  Check these out first before you toss everything.

Good ideas @Imaoldhippie.  Wicked allergies lately hasn't helped, I'm sure.  But, more importantly been munching more chips and dips and, of course, hot dogs!  These foods seem to be my go-to's when really busy.  You reminded me, I should go back to my diet and including more 'natural' foods and veggies.  Thanx.

Diet is paramount. Drink lots of liquids (preferably water) and clean up your diet. I went on a plant based diet for awhile and gave up oils. My skin paid the price for it and was dryer than the Sahara Desert. When I added olive oil it improved and I rarely need anything more than my Neutrogena moisturizer, some exfoliation and a good cleanser to have good skin...

Creams and serums can only do so much. What you eat is probably the most important. Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Oh, @momoftwo2007, forgot to add makeup:  Bobbi Brown and Laura Geller.

Now gtta run to hairdresser's and even the BB cover has failed to cover my allergy eyes - look like a football player ready for the big game!Woman Sad

For applying makeup, I think it is best to apply a hydrating moisturizer first. I use the Garnier SkinActive Moisture Bomb SPF 30 before makeup. Then I use a liquid foundation  (I don't have a particular brand, I rotate through many) or BB cream, then use very little powder (powder emphasizes wrinkles).  I usually finish my makeup routine with the Mario Badescu's facial spray (also recommended to me on this board).  You can also spary it on throughout the day.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme@momoftwo2007@Trinity11@Imaoldhippie@Fressa@Sweet_Serenity

Me: DRY DRY DRY (Sahara Desert dry) cannot tolerate most skin care products u;tea-dry for 3 years

Solutions so far: after cleansing add Heavy ointment-type nightcream in a thin layer (thin thin layer) over wet face/eye lids

Press Isomers serum into pores to prevent break-outs

use Renova sparingly

LaRoche-Posay Anthelios sunscreen 60+

Henne Lip balm —only thing that works on my lips

Take 1 tsp internally coconut oil every day

AL Marine Collage Peptides

I now have the belief that after the age of 60, many of my health problems were caused by extremely dry internal environment. Drinking lots of water did not correct this. Oils in diet helped.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for your recommendations.  I checked the cruelty-free sites - some products are now owned by larger companies so it's hard to accurately trace cruelty-free, imho.

It's a toss up between ResQOrganics and Mad Hippie for skincare right now.  Also, just based on some of your recommendations,  I'm back at my diet, i.e., better food choices (bye-bye chips, etc.), drinking more water and easing off the "harsh" facial cleansers.  So, thanks for all your useful advice - greatly appreciated.

Now, gonna research make-up products and eventually switch over to cruelty-free eventually - something more suitable to a "boomer"!

Again, thank you all for your helpful responses!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I agree with the ‘better diet’, but the oils & processed foods

contribute to the skin’s dry condition.

To increase blood flow, eliminate the oils, animal products and

processed foods....and bump up the greens!  More oxygen in the blood,

the better the skin’s texture & condition....and of course healthier body. 

With processed meats (ie hot dogs) being compared to a

cigarette, it ain’t good...for your body, internal organs 

and for your skin. 

Low fat, whole foods & plant based to the rescue!

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I agree with the ‘better diet’, but the oils & processed foods

contribute to the skin’s dry condition.

To increase blood flow, eliminate the oils, animal products and

processed foods....and bump up the greens!  More oxygen in the blood,

the better the skin’s texture & condition....and of course healthier body. 

With processed meats (ie hot dogs) being compared to a

cigarette, it ain’t good...for your body, internal organs 

and for your skin. 

Low fat, whole foods & plant based to the rescue!

Thanx, @sidsmom.  That's exactly what we've (me and Eddy, my furbaby, have been doing:  he loves fruits an veggies and I do too.  I'm a minimal meat eater, but often include cheese and eggs with our meals.  Because so much has been going on since last fall, kinda went off the wagon to grab something quick and easy.  The only "bad" food normally eaten are macaroni, bread and cereal and rice cakes.  Just starting to switch back and feeling better!

And, oh! we love out ice cream!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Diet and hydration is very important to skin, I suggest ground flax seed 2Tbsp. daily in a smoothie. I drink one every day and at my age my skin looks pretty good.

Frequent Contributor

Do you exfolkate ? It's a product by Kate Somerville ! I use just once a week ! Remember bunch of products won't make your skin glow! Less is more for sure ! Josie Maran oil milk and eye serum and elemis cleanser and moisturizer at night ! 

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme, you may want to seek medical advice. Since you don't have dry skin by nature, something may be going on in your body that is the culprit. Besides what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Instead of wasting money going with all of the suggestions, I would try to find out the cause. Wishing you the best.