Esteemed Contributor

BEAUTY GURUS - I NEED YOUR HELP!

My skin has never been dry.  And, perhaps aside from a little sagging, never had a problem - except now:  I'm dry and wrinkly!

Gotta toss out all my makeup as it just looks awful on now.  My skin routines definitely, no longer working.

I would appreciate any/all the advice you can muster from skincare to makeup solutions.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: BEAUTY GURUS - I NEED YOUR HELP!

Change your cleanser for starters. Try one that is more gentle, maybe one that is moisturizing and cleanse with cool water...avoid very warm or hot water even in the shower. Washing with hot water is one of the biggest reasons for dry skin.

Respected Contributor

@eddyandme Do you mind sharing a few skincare brands/products and makeup brands/products you were using?  So, we won't give you advice on what doesn't work for you.  

Respected Contributor

I was always oily, but in the last few years, my skin has gotten very dry and I've had to change my skincare products, especially for the winter.

Here are some of my dry skin favorites:

1. Korean Sheet Masks. I like masks by Leaders, like the Aloe Soothing Mask (Ulta, online Korean skincare places)
  2. Missha Time Revolution the First Treatment Essence (Target, Soko Glam)
  3. Hanskin Hyaluron Skin Essence (Soko Glam)
  4. Josie Maran Argan Milk (QVC, Sephora)
  5. Dr. Jart Ceramidin Liquid (QVC, Sephora)
  6. Dr Jart Ceramidin Cream (QVC, Sephora)

Korean Sheet Masks are soaked in serums and provide a lot of hydration. I put one on and meditate or listen to an audio book for 20 minutes. You can use them weekly or nightly. When I'm really dry, I use them nightly until I'm feeling more balanced. They usually have enough serum that you can even rub the remainder into your chest and hands.

Korean Essences are a step bewtween a toner and a serum. They often have hyaluronic acid, which is great for hydration and moisture. My skin feels so much better when I use an essence under my other skincare. Using these in combination with my other moisturizing skincare makes everything more effective.

Josie Maran Argan Milk is a great moisturizing serum and using it under my regular moisturizers always makes my skin feel better. The Dr Jart Ceramidin liquid is another moisturizing serum. It contains glycerin, a humectant, which helps keep my skin feeling good all day.

Dr Jart Ceramidin Cream I got on sale in February and it's my new favorite winter cream. A little goes a long way and I love it for giving me the moisture I need to get through the day.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Change your cleanser for starters. Try one that is more gentle, maybe one that is moisturizing and cleanse with cool water...avoid very warm or hot water even in the shower. Washing with hot water is one of the biggest reasons for dry skin.

This is a great recommendation. People forget how much a cleanser can strip.

I put on a lot of moisturizing skincare at night and in the morning, I don't use a cleanser at all, I just rinse my face. It makes a big difference for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Sure, @momoftwo2007

Cleansers - have a medley which I switch around:  PTR, Purity, SSC (C, A and Gluc).

Skincare - SSC, occassionally Perricone (hate the smell); most recently, Elysee.  I change out products so skin doesn't get used to it.

Facials - PTR Black Mud (just did that this AM) and tossed out his Pumpkin (too harsh).

Have also used IT skincare and tossed out - didn't find effective on me.

Esteemed Contributor

Here's what works for me:

Dr.Denese skin care line-----facial cleasing wash, Wrinkle Defense duo (face & neck) MD33 Eye (or an eye cream from this line) plus the day cream (moisturizer plus all in one product for day)

Makeup---Bobbi Brown foundation stick, pot rouge, eye shadow pallette ,mascara (anyof them) and gel eye liner

Doris Dall 10 lip products---her blush is also nice.

All of these products go on quickly and only require a little bit. I can get out the door or in bed faster now than in the 35 years I was in the office. Hope some of them work for you. 

Honored Contributor

Im no skin care guru for sure, but there may be a medical reason for the sudden change in your skin.  You may be dehydrated due to not drinking enough water, menopause, medications, salt intake, etc.  Check these out first before you toss everything.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Oh, @momoftwo2007, forgot to add makeup:  Bobbi Brown and Laura Geller.

Now gtta run to hairdresser's and even the BB cover has failed to cover my allergy eyes - look like a football player ready for the big game!Woman Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Im no skin care guru for sure, but there may be a medical reason for the sudden change in your skin.  You may be dehydrated due to not drinking enough water, menopause, medications, salt intake, etc.  Check these out first before you toss everything.

Good ideas @Imaoldhippie.  Wicked allergies lately hasn't helped, I'm sure.  But, more importantly been munching more chips and dips and, of course, hot dogs!  These foods seem to be my go-to's when really busy.  You reminded me, I should go back to my diet and including more 'natural' foods and veggies.  Thanx.