Valued Contributor

I love reading health and beauty books from the late 1800's to the turn of the last century. The biggest tip was to stay out of the sun and strong wind. Exercise with dumbells or isometrics, walk outside, don't eat too much and don't each too much desserts and puddings. Many of them also have skincare recipes.Recipes for henna or natural hair dye. Many of them applied to older women. This information was widely available then to all men and women since some of these books were the best sellers of the day. Ofcoarse, just like now, they had to wade through all the snake oil being sold. And at least one of the authors who was praised for her youthful apearance at an older age, had a facelift.

Some women back then thought that vanity was a sin, but obviously someone was buying those books and applying the techniques. Someone's grandmother was using her dumbells, eating fresh foods, going for walks, making her own skincare, and looking fabulous, lol! I don't think women shared too much back then with each other the way we do now. 

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@ShanusI agree with you, but I'm no way as frugal as you sound in your post. I don't color my hair and would not have plastic surgery or injections, but I do like the latest skin care , make up and clothes and do have a Pilates, but no gym membership. What I really wanted to convey was, my grandmother's didn't have the time or money to worry about growing old: they were busy with living full lives. Their idea of exercise was working in their gardens, cleaning their homes and walking to and from church on a Sunday. If it bothered them or they had a poor opinion of themselves because they were growing old, they never complained about it and it didn't show. 

@blackhole99  That’s true, but they also didn’t have pressure from social media to look as young as those women their age. They had more important things to think about.

I am by no means frugal...more timid about trying new products that would wreck havoc on skin when my hg works fine. I do have gym membership, but pointing out that all can be done at home. 

I purchase expensive makeup (mostly Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier) & my skincare is not inexpensive...SkinCeuticals (medical grade), but routine scaled down to only necessary products. Clothes are my big splurge on individual items, but there again my wardrobe is paired down to basics. 

Enjoyed your comments about grandmothers. So true. They worked hard because they didn’t have our conveniences. A swipe of lipstick and they were ready to go. 

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting perspective, @lkat.   You ask:  "... why bother posting on this forum if you've decided to go gray and be makeup free?"   

I still enjoy reading and posting on this beauty forum even tho I don't wear much makeup, and I have gray hair.  Gasp!   I'm still very interested in beauty - to me, beauty is more than hair color and makeup and I like to read other ladies' ideas.  Like yours. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I was thinking about this statement and have some thoughts to contribute.

For myself I think outward beauty is often expressed on our faces because of our thought processes. If someone perpetually scowls their entire life, their face eventually starts to take on the appearance of someone who does just that. Someone who smiles a lot and has a positive outlook on life, when they age they have a certain demeanor that spells out warmth and beauty. Their eyes have an unmistakable twinkle and we don't find ourselves focusing on just their outward appearance but their energy and vibrant personality. They exert positive energy..... That is the definition of Beauty for me.

I understand not everyone will agree but the older I get the more I have seen this throughout my lifetime. Unhappy people generally age poorly and happiness seems to show on the face and reflects a life well lived. And no amount of makeup or hair dye can change that.

Honored Contributor

None of us are experts with all the answers. We're all in the same boat.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

None of us are experts with all the answers. We're all in the same boat.

AMEN!!!!👏👏👏👏

Contributor

Re: BEAUTY/AGING

[ Edited ]

Amen!!

" Outer beauty attracts, but inner beauty captivates the heart."

"Happiness and confidence are the prettiest things you can wear."

Honored Contributor

This is a Beauty Forum. Beauty, like most things, is subjective. It’s certainly a personal choice whether you wear makeup, just some makeup or none at all. It’s also an individual decision to color your hair or let it go grey. 

As long as there are threads started on this forum, women are entitled to comment on their feelings here about beauty. 

Some are interested to find new products while others review items they’ve tried that worked well or not. There are questions asked and we all try to offer sugestions or solutions. There are comments about aging, anti-aging, etc. It’s all good reading if you’re interested in anything “beauty” as I am. 

To me, it’s important to remain kind to other posters if their opinions differ.