Valued Contributor

Re: Azelaic Acid - Would sensitive skin be able to use this?

@Shanus wrote:

Please Ladies, find products that work and stay with those. Constant switch ups and changing products, especially acids and skincare with active ingredients. You can cause normal, non-reactive skin to become red and sensitive and it's difficult to find out which skincare products caused the changes.

A simple, efective skincare routine is essential. Changing products as often as changing underwear...NO.

***YouTubers are paid to hawk products. They receive payment for each time they're mentioned/promoted. Don't believe everything you hear. How many products do they actually use when they promote a different one that's the HOLY GRAIL each week?

I completely agree.  I know from personal experience that many “beauty you tubers/influencers” are basically saleswomen.  YouTube is their JOB.  They make money through endorsements, affiliate links, etc.  The more products they recommend, the more money they make.

Super Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I use the Lactic Acid in my am routine and the Paula's Choice in my PM routine. I agree that Angie from HotandFlashy definitely has an intense routine - I would never follow that!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also use Paula's Choice Azelaic Acid.  I mix it with my moisturizer morning & night.  I have dry, sensitive skin, but I don't have rosacea.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I saw something about this in a recent magazine I was reading.  It claims to do all kinds of things and says it is good for people with rosacea, which I have.  I also tend to break out a bit with rosacea and have some redness.  But I do have very sensitive skin.  It claims you can use this with sensitive skin but have to use some care.   Does anyone here have any experience with using this on sensitive skin?  I appreciate your input! 

Yes, I purchased it from Paula's Choice. It made me beet red and I needed Cortisone Cream to counteract it. I heard about it on Dr. Dray's channel. I also have redness from rosacea. I rarely break out from rosacea but I have very sensitive skin too. I ended up throwing it away.

It may be recommended for sensitive skin with rosacea but it sure didn't work for me @AngelPuppy1 .

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

Thank you!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@scullychick 

I know!  I guess if that's I had to do was sit and try beauty products  -- no, not me! 

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife 

Thank you!!!  Maybe mixing with moisturizer would be a better thing to do! 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

Well, I certainly don't need any more issues with my skin!  Thank you! 

Valued Contributor

I’ve used prescription azelaic acid (finacea) for almost 10 years, was prescribed for hormonal acne and mild rosacea. Acne is long gone but I still use it because it really addresses dark spots like nothing else I’ve tried. I used to use the finacea in the morning and retin a at night but my post menopausal skin can’t take that anymore. I now alternate finacea and retin a at night. I didn’t get any peeling or irritation when I started using it.
Frequent Contributor

I started using Azaleic Acid about a year ago. I used Paula's Choice.

HUGE WARNING - if you have rosacea OR sensitive skin, PLEASE test it on a small area first.

ANY acid can be difficult for the skin to handle. Everyone's skin type is different. 

I have sensitive skin and ALWAYS put a moisturizer on FIRST, then apply the Azelaic Acid over the top of the moisturizer.

Also, I only used it 4 days per week, NOT daily. 

You can only get 10% over the counter.

HTH