Respected Contributor

I followed a stylist for 25 years.  When she opened her own shop, she used Aveda products. (but was not considered a full on Aveda salon [although I never really understood why]) Personally I didn't care for the shampoo and conditioner she used and sold me.  I tried it a few times at home but switched back to Moroccanoil products.  Eventually "my" girl could no longer hold scissors so sold the business.  The new owner stayed with Aveda for awhile but eventually went with ColorProof.  I liked it a great deal more than Aveda.

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper 

The salon I used to go to at the time that used and sold Aveda products, was going to have a big hair show in a nearby city and I was going to be one of the models.  When I was getting prepped at the salon, Horst was there and I got to meet him.  He was very impressive and I was scared to death!  I cancelled out of the show though because they were going to do some really drastic stuff to my hair on stage and I was not up for it!  I used their products for years.  I was sad to read quite a few years ago of his passing.  They seemed to be really ahead of the times with their products and their beliefs.   

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper 

The salon I used to go to at the time that used and sold Aveda products, was going to have a big hair show in a nearby city and I was going to be one of the models.  When I was getting prepped at the salon, Horst was there and I got to meet him.  He was very impressive and I was scared to death!  I cancelled out of the show though because they were going to do some really drastic stuff to my hair on stage and I was not up for it!  I used their products for years.  I was sad to read quite a few years ago of his passing.  They seemed to be really ahead of the times with their products and their beliefs.   

@AngelPuppy1  Wow!  I've seen one of those shows.  My best friends' brother owned several Aveda salons, plus an Aveda teaching school.  He has since retired, and sold it all (so he can travel and paint all over the world -- what a life, right?).  One of his premier colorists was featured one year and it was wild but amazing.  Smiley Very Happy

Years ago, I did some art for his salons.  All the salons are still very much Horst devotees.  I wish I could have met him.  They follow his ideals of clean beauty to the letter! Very much ahead of their time.  

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  My hairdresser went to Horst beauty school in Minneapolis. I live in a small town in N. WI. We have a few stylists that attended his Beauty School.  He said Horst would wander into the school from time to time and talk to the students. I recall seeing his hairstyles in Glamour magazine.

Aveda has stipulations on the layout of the salon and even parking area. I asked a hairdresser why they didn't sell Aveda? We have one salon that sells it. I recall going into an MSP Airport store and enjoying the wonderful aroma.

Respected Contributor

I just gave up on my Aveda salon that I had been going to for over 10 years due to the owner. I really liked the woman who did my hair but the owner was too obnoxious for me to continue supporting his salon. The thing that pushed me over the edge was the last time I was there, he was telling his client that he had seen a news report that verified that women who decided to go to their natural gray were giving up on themselves and looked at least 10 years older. He had 2 clients while my color was processing so I had to sit through this story twice. The next thing that happened is that my stylist colored my roots with the wrong color. I had been tryingk to eliminate the reddish tones and go to a honey brown tone. She forgot to change the color on my card the last time when we started the change so I was back to red. I. understand that people make mistakes but the owner stood there and laughed saying that he guessed he shouldn't have complimented the color. He didn't offer  to give me a discount on the service. That's not how you run a business with a client that is there every 4-5 weeks fo 10 years.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper 

I was in my early 20's at the time and was a country girl and so shy! I was terrified at the thought of being in such a production to begin with, but the very talented and kind stylist talked me into it.  After I realized all that was involved and all that they were going to do to my hair, and being on that stage, etc., I just couldn't handle it and backed out!  I remember Horst was so handsome and had such a strong presence about him.  And he had these eyes that were just riveting and bored right through you!  I was tongue-tied!  LOL!!! Thinking back now I think --- oh, sheesh, I should have done it.  I mean --- hair is hair --- it grows back for goodness sake!!!   That's awesome that you did art for the salons!!!  Yes, Aveda was indeed way ahead in their thinking and mission.  

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf 

My stylist way back when also did.  At the salon I went to, it was the same way.  The salon was very strict as to how it was set up and the procedures.  I don't remember how it went, since it's been so long, but I do remember that the woman that I had was like a master stylist and she said that stylists had to shadow other stylists for quite some time before they became master stylists.  This place was strictly Aveda.  I remember back in the day I didn't make a lot of money but for some reason I decided to start getting my hair done there and buying a lot of their products. I think I spent the majority of my salary in that place!  LOL!    

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 

That's terrible!  I would not have thought something like that would have happened in an Aveda salon.  I don't see how that owner keeps many clients acting like that!