Honored Contributor

Re: At what age dis you stop shaving your legs

I hate shaving, but at 63, haven’t actually stopped yet.  

Having smooth legs has never been a high priority to me; I hate underarm hair.  

Keeping up with facial hair is a priority, but I only shave my legs before medical appts.   

Super Contributor

I shave my legs every other day as well as my armpits. I envy those of you that don't need to shave or rarely shaves.

Regular Contributor

I stopped shaving my legs in my mid-to-late 40s.  But that's ONLY because I have done laser hair removal in a doctor's office!  Otherwise, I'd be shaving frequently, and still dealing with ingrown hairs on my thighs too. 

In fact, that's the MAIN reason why I chose to do laser hair removal on my legs (after first starting off with laser hair removal on my face, and then lower arms).  I had one recurring ingrown hair/cyst on my inner thigh, and after having it blow up & sending me to the ER to get it lanced one last time, I finally decided to have that cyst surgically removed for good.  The laser hair removal afterwards just insured that I wouldn't have to deal with any other nasty ingrowns/cysts down the road.  I can't even tell you what a huge difference my thighs are now.  Best beauty/monetary decision I ever made!   If you cannot afford to do your whole legs lasered at once, ask if you can get your thighs done first from the knee up (and ask how much it is so you can compare), then come back later and get the lower legs lasered.  

If any of you still have dark hairs ANYWHERE (legs, face, arms, armpits, etc), consider getting a consulation for laser hair removal.  Keep in mind that you will have to do several multiple sessions/visits about a month apart though, but well worth the $$$ spent in the long run.

I cannot speak to the IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) hair removal devices though (i.e. Tria) that they sell/demonstrate online & on TV... it might initially work for some ppl who have light hair growth, but I'm wary of them because I did have IPL hair removal in multiple sessions over the course of a year done at a doctor's office and that did cr*p!!  Waste of money for me.  If hindsight was 20/20 vision!  I didn't know enough info back then though.  IPL just burned my hairs but barely made a dent in stopping the overall hair growth permanently.  The real laser hair removal is much more effective IMHO and I saw permanent results fairly quickly. 

P.S.  Be careful when you see both terms "IPL" & "Laser" used together.  IPL is NOT a laser.  They are NOT the same.  

Valued Contributor

I am 65 and only have to use my epilator about once a month. That is all that is needed. The little bit of hair that does grow is mostly on my knees and is very light. I could actually go longer than a month, but choose not to.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Used an epilator for several years about every 2-3 weeks. That was heavenly. Following the accident in December, I couldn't bend or twist enough to continue with the epilator. I returned to shaving in the shower. It was quick, easy and efficient . . . and I only had to bend over for a few minutes!

However, at 71 I'm realizing that now shaving my legs weekly is a necessity to have clean, stubble-free legs. I do swim, wear shorts and skirts all summer. Once I'm finished with PT (if it helps), perhaps I'll resume with the epilator and, hopefully, return to every 2-3 weeks. Who knows? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I stopped shaving my legs after I had laser hair removal done in about 6 sessions about 10 years ago. I always hated the dark hair and the stubble on my legs and laser hair removal freed me of the need to shave my legs. I also had laser hair removal done on my underarms for the same reason.

Respected Contributor

@jpie @Lucky Charm

My gift to myself at 50: electrolysis....no shaving legs, underarms, eyebrows.  Laser didn’t work for me !  At 74.5, I have saved a lot of time !  Wasn’t very expensive compared to laser !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I stopped shaving everything a few years ago in favor of epilating. I have no plans to stop removing the hair on my legs. 

Respected Contributor

I never really started. I never had a lot of hair on my legs and when I thought I did I used Nair. I tried shaving once and it was a disaster. 

Honored Contributor

I started using an epilator about 7 years ago and now at 68 I rarely need to run it over my legs or under my arms. I never did have thick dark hair on either area though.