Esteemed Contributor

Re: At what age dis you stop shaving your legs

Decades ago, a co-worker told me that the hair on her legs stopped growing when she turned 50.  I thought, "oh boy! I won't have to shave anymore!"   Well, 50 came and went and I still had to shave -- and then 60... 65... and now I'm 70 and still shave almost every day.  Every day in summer.  I hate feeling fuzzy and I wear shorts or capris every day.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

My legs were never really hairy, I am 64 and recently I shave maybe once a month, I have no hair on my legs and I can not remember the last time I shaved them

I'm glad that you posted this-I've been thinking about this and wondering if something was wrong with meSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

My legs were never really hairy, I am 64 and recently I shave maybe once a month, I have no hair on my legs and I can not remember the last time I shaved them

Does this have anything to do with all of the hair-thinning that I've been going through. Thick course hair has turned into fine straight thin hairSmiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I stopped shaving my legs and under arms in my late 20's to early 30's.  I actually never had much hair in either area.  My leg hair was never visible but I could feel it.  I shaved every 3 months or so.  Then I used either Nair or Neet (I forget which one) on my legs.  I followed the instructions and a weird thing happened.  No hair ever grew back on my legs.  I'm 57 now.  After a couple of years, I used it on my under arms and the same thing happened, well almost.  My under arm hair does grow back but so slowly and it's so fine that I only have shave it twice a year.  My friend who is a physician said she thinks it killed the hair roots.  No root,  no hair growth.  I'm not complaining.    

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree   You are one very lucky girl!  I know a dark haired woman who even has to shave her tummy and toes (she's 61)!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Full legs &  underarms twice a week now used to be every other day.

Honored Contributor

I don't recall exactly - maybe my early 70s.  

Respected Contributor

I'm 64, and still shave my legs every day! Can't stand the bristly feeling if I don't. I could shave my underarms every other day, but only do it once a week since I don't wear sleeveless. I've been in full menopause for years.

The hair on my head is mostly gray, but everywhere else it's still mostly dark...darn genetics!

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@chrystaltree   You are one very lucky girl!  I know a dark haired woman who even has to shave her tummy and toes (she's 61)!

The women on my mom' side are all have dark, almost black hair.  I was fortunate with the body hair but very unfortunate with facial hair.  We all have something...LOL   When I was younger, I would have traded my heavy brows and upper lip hair for leg hair.  Lots of waxing.   Life is funny.  The brows that I hated and had to tame for most of my life are right in style now.  

Respected Contributor

I shave my legs two to three times a week in the summer.  In the winter once a week.  I'm 72.  I have no underarm hair.  That hair migrated to my chin and upper lip.