Esteemed Contributor

I've been using L'Oreal Creme Triple Care Color for quite some time now (Light Brown).

However, just today, I realized I had been using the small tube of shampoo on my ends before applying the color!   

Evidently some brand I used in the past included a serum to keep your ends from absorbing any color and I thought it was this brand. 

It wasn't!

While I do only roots, my hair is thin and the color always travels through my hair.

I've searched my past brands and cannot find anyone that has such a product included.  If anyone knows, please let me know.

Maybe I'm crazy and have been using it wrong all along Cat Very Happy

I will say this.  My hair color has never looked better, so maybe I'll just keep using it the wrong way Cat Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I colored my hair at home for many years.  After I finished my roots I would file remaining color 1/1 with mild shampoo to do rest of my hair; always worked like a charm!

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I colored my hair at home for many years.  After I finished my roots I would file remaining color 1/1 with mild shampoo to do rest of my hair; always worked like a charm!

What does "file" mean?  Mix it with your shampoo?

Esteemed Contributor

@santorini wrote:

@patbz wrote:

What does "file" mean?  Mix it with your shampoo?

@santorini 

I think maybe she meant "fill" the remaining color container with mild shampoo?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman I have used every hair color they make over the years, I think. There is definitely at least one brand that has the end protect conditioner. I have no idea which one, but it's our there. 

Esteemed Contributor

I tried coloring my hair (roots only) but I never could master how you color the back of your head. I always left spots that didn't get colored. How do you do it? Would appreciate any advice.

Contributor

Re: At Home Hair Color

[ Edited ]

Perhaps

L'Oreal Paris Excellence Creme,

6 Light Brown

Level 3 Permanent Hair Color

has the small tube for the ends

Search online to see if the box is recognizable as your product

Respected Contributor

@elated wrote:

I tried coloring my hair (roots only) but I never could master how you color the back of your head. I always left spots that didn't get colored. How do you do it? Would appreciate any advice.

You load up both (gloved) hands with goo, bend over, spread your fingers out and massage it into the scalp in the back.  When I do my own, I use 3 boxes so I have enough.

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

i used to do it by myself and just loaded some color onto my gloves and worked on the back. in more recent years, i just ask my daughter to come over and do it for me. cheap box of color, cheap labor. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I HAD A HARD TIME WITH THE BACK OF MY HEAD AS WELL WITH THE ROOTS.  WAS SO HAPPY TO HAVE MADISON REED MOVE INTO TOWN.

HAVE MY ROOTS DONE TWICE A MONTH , AS I HAVE ALMOST BLACK HAIR.

IT IS $65 A MONTH, AND YOU CAN HAVE YOUR ROOTS DONE AS OFTEN AS YOU LIKE.  EVERY WEEK IF YOU CHOOSE.

IT ENDS UP COSTING ME $32.50 EACH TIME.

LESS THAN BUYING BOXES THESE DAYS.

JUST NOT READY TO GO GRAY!!  HAHA!

HAVE A GREAT REST OF THE DAY!