Regular Contributor

I won't leave the house without it.  I just look way, way better with it and I would just be lazy to not do it.  My eyebrows and eyelashes are very light blonde and you can't see that I even have these from 10 feet away.  I look terrible without makeup.

Valued Contributor

Re: As you get older...

[ Edited ]

Now that I'm retired I don't wear as much.  When my IT CC cream is gone I won't repurchase.  However, I do like a little concealer dabbed here and there.  I don't need primers or really even moisturizer as I have normal/oily skin.  I do my brows eye shadow and mascara.  I do blush and lips too but not heavily. (no dark colors) 

I like to look nice and it's too bad but I believe it's very true that you are treated better when you look your best.  I am short and when I'm at the deli and I'm not looking put together they skip right over me!  

I also color my hair and don't plan to stop.  (most of my friends are gray which is fine for them but that's not happening anytime soon here)  Smiley Happy

Edited to add:  My mom and mother in law lived well into their 90s.  They both wore makeup.  Not excessive, but they always looked pretty.  I want to be like them.  I volunteered at a nursing home and did nails, I had ladies that were 90+ and a few of them still wore lipstick and eyeshadow.  They were adorable Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

i started wearing mascar and eye shadow at 14!!   most of  my life until 40ish deathly afraid of someone seeing me with no makeup!  i'm 63 now and have not worn any makeup for at least  a year. i used to take my makeup bag with me while DH drove,  put on makeup in the car.

My life changed. After i had neck surgery last December, i no longer care. i had an 8" Frankenstein scar from the base of my skull to below my shoulders.   after a few rough weeks, i survived the surgery just fine; i had A hip replacement 5 weeks ago.

i came out of 2 major surgeries in less than 1 year. some paint and powder are so insignificant to me. i am thrilled that my body has bounced back! i can swim again and ride a bike and to top it off, NO CANE!!!!! i can walk again....and just dance <3

Honored Contributor

I wear make up everytime I go out.  I do it for me as it makes me feel good.  I even wear when at home.  I don't want to get into  rut and not care what I look like.

Super Contributor

Well I'm way passed 60 (80) but my skin still looks great and I'm thankful for that.  I quit wearing makeup many years ago, now just wear mascara occasionaly and eyebrow color always.  I discovered one day while I was putting on makeup, I didn't look any better with it than I did without it....LOL.  So from that day on, I never looked back.

Honored Contributor

When I'm home, it's antiaging and sunscreen.

Work, since COVID, antiaging, sunscreen, and eye makeup.

Super Contributor

I'm 81 and think I look pretty good for my age, (at least people still tell me that).  I'm not the little old gray haired lady down the street by any means.  I don't feel I'm ready for my day if I haven't put my makeup on, done my hair and have my earringas on, feel naked without doing any one of these things.  I'm always dressed for company or if I need to go out somewhere planned or unexpected.  It's just my preference.  Spending the day in my PJs or sweats just isn't my style, and only something I would do if I were ill.  

Honored Contributor

I have never really worn make up, even though I am a licensed cosmetologist.  I have made up everyday people and models, but it is not for me.

On special occasions and for pictures, I have worn eye liner and mascara, but have never needed foundation, eye shadow or heavens forbid eye brow pencils and I hate lipstick with a passion.

I am fortunate that I have great skin, full brows and eyes that already pop.  I have a rare eye color.

I used to wear nail polish, but gave that up.

I would never go out of the house without earrings. I wear them constantly and have since forever.

Esteemed Contributor

I look better with make up and like wearing it. My brows are getting thinner and I have light gray/blue eyes, so I like to enhance. I use a muted plum lid shadow. When wearing a mask, I don't use foundation, blush or lipstick, but I routinely use these enhancers. I routinely wear jewelry and polish nails.   

My sis is 21 months older than me. She is more gray than I am but is letting her gray / brown hair grow out. It's a gunmetal gray. She retired and stopped wearing any make up, nail polish or jewelry. She had an impressive, intense career and wore suits and worked long hours. Honestly, you have to look twice if you haven't seen her for a while. She doesn't look like the same person. She and hubs were a good-looking couple, but she now looks like his older sister now. 

That being said -- it's a personal decision whether to enhance looks. No right or wrong answers. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

I have no opinion. I feel it should be a personal choice at every age. I personally love seeing faces however they look, I really so.

And I love it when people have the confidence to wear a lot of makeup, or none at all, or anything in between, or something different every day. 

The thing I appreciate as I get older is that I'm less likely to make my choices about things based on others' opinions! That said, I have noticed that the happier I'm feeling generally, the less I think about putting anything on my own face. But when I want to, I enjoy wearing it.