Respected Contributor

Re: As you are aging, what's been the hardest thing to adapt regarding your beauty regimen?

I don't even know what it is called. I think sallow means yellowish skin. But my face just lacks brightness. I've tried the various color corrective creams and brightners but having very dry skin results in these creams not taking well on my face. 

The balance and brighten finishing powers seem to be glittery and just cannot use the "pinky" tone finishing powers. 

I often think changing from dyed brown hair would help my complexion woos but dread the time in the salon chair. 

Oh, well, I am healthy, happy so I can deal with a little aging.

Super Contributor

Re: As you are aging, what's been the hardest thing to adapt regarding your beauty regimen?

As far as my face goes, graying and sparse eyebrows and a sagging jawline.  I also have dry eyes and have to use artificial tears 5 or 6 times per day so I only use mascara now if I'm leaving the house. 

Looking in the mirror at the older ( not so attractive anymore)  lady staring back at me can take a psychological toll if I allow it to.  That's when I remind myself how blessed I am. This aging body is just a temporary shell that I'm living in and the outside of me isn't as important as what's on the inside. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your replies!!!  Looking at things from different points of vew is very helpful and gives me a new outlook.  I tend to focus at times only on my bad points and not my good points!  DH says - if you could only see what I see when I look at you!!  My insecurities I guess started when I was a young teen and they are still here. LOL!  

Makeup has always been a fun thing for me. I still enjoy going to stores and browsing even though a lot of things I can't use or are not suitable for me any longer.  

It's nice to know that we do all have a lot of the same common issues though!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Regular Contributor

The hardest for me is how my hair has changed. I use to have thick and shiny beautiful black hair. I was always asked what I did to achieve this. Now its not the same its thinning, a bit dry and white hair non stop. I try to fix my hair to hide the gray because I hate dying my hair. I dont mind the hooded wrinkle eyes and sun spots but I cant get over my hair. But when I feel negative about it I try to look on the bright side and do things that make me forget.

Respected Contributor

I finally accepted the cold hard fact that I am no longer a spring chicken, but, this ole hen look's pretty darn good for a high mileage chick....

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Thank you all for your replies!!!  Looking at things from different points of vew is very helpful and gives me a new outlook.  I tend to focus at times only on my bad points and not my good points!  DH says - if you could only see what I see when I look at you!!  My insecurities I guess started when I was a young teen and they are still here. LOL!  

Makeup has always been a fun thing for me. I still enjoy going to stores and browsing even though a lot of things I can't use or are not suitable for me any longer.  

It's nice to know that we do all have a lot of the same common issues though!!!  

I too will always love to look at makeup even though I don't buy as much as I nearly used to, it's still fun to look and try on!

Regular Contributor

I love this thread! thank you, ladies, it's nice to know im not alone. i turned 50 this year and i have really come to the realization that much of what i use to do/love is just behind me now. I have always been a makeup junkie, but im trying to use up what i have and  be mindful of what i buy to replace things. Biggest challenges: skin issues brought on by menopause  have forced me to concentrate on skincare. With my skin bright and vibrant, i need less makeup.

Eyeshadow is no longer my friend. i use a neutral primer all over and a light taupe cream for alittle depth, brown shadow for liner and mascara.

Lips have shrunk-super sad  about this, as i use to think they were one of my best features. contemplated lip injections for 1 second before realizing they still wouldnt look like they use to. I have good luck using the nyx wonderpencil to lightly outline my lipline then pat it in to blend-this keeps lip color from feathering. i still like my reds and berrys for lipstick, but recognize those days are numbered. Still have brook sheilds brows so thats holding. Trying to have a positive attitude-and remember that beauty is an outward reflection of your inner spirit. It also helps that my husband of 25 years still tells me im the most gorgeous thing he's ever seen. It sounds silly, but he says it so earnestly, it's easy to believe, and im able to look in the mirror, feel the little tug of times gone by, and then go on w my day and look forward.

Last thing that has helped-i apply makeup using a magnify mirror but without my contacts in! i instantly look 10years younger! lol

Honored Contributor

If I could see everyone of you, I would tell you how beautiful you all are!!!!  This post is so meaningful to me and I hope that it has been of some help to others, as well.  And you know what, it has seemed like a little beauty club --- what I wished for!  LOL!  A place where we could all speak freely about what we are not so happy about that has changed as we are changing!  I know that no matter what, we are still the same on the inside!!!  Kindness on the inside makes you more attractive on the outside.  

I work with nearly all women who are way younger than me and sometimes this really makes me feel old, too!  It's hard at times to feel relevant and remember to not compare yourself to others.  I mean, we all age and it happens to everyone --- sooner or later.

But I have to say it is comforting to read here that so many of you have candidly shared your concerns.  

I think as we get older, we are often treated differently.  I know my mother who is very ill right now, has been going through this.  I keep telling people who seem to disrespect her and others like her --- no matter what she looks like now or seems like now -- she is still a woman -- and deep inside that elderly, sick, frail woman --- is still the heart and soul of that beautiful young, vibrant woman -- and she is still and will always be, beautiful to me!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Great meaningful thread which resonates so strongly.  I'll contribute when it's not 4:30am where I live.  I need sleep but my mind won't wind down.

But thanks for starting this @AngelPuppy1.  Makes me feel so not alone.  I can see the true beauty in each and every one of you.

Honored Contributor

I am in my 50s and my biggest complaints are...

I can't see to do eye makeup anymore. I need a magnifying mirror which is totally scary because that thing allows me to see things I'd rather not see. 

I have wiry grey hairs mixed in with my blond ones. Instead of paying the stylist to highlight my dark blonde hair I am using a spray in lightening product at home which works well to conceal the grey ones. 

The chin hairs are annoying to say the least. Every day I am removing another one or two or three.......

I wear less makeup then when I was younger. I was never a heavy makeup gal, but I definitely use fewer products. I only use brown eyeliner smudged on top lids only and a bit of neutral eye shadow followed by mascara. I use a tinted SPF primer and/or CC cream instead of regular foundation. I still have very oily acne prone skin so I add concealer where needed and a light dusting of shine reducing powder. A bit of brightening under eyes, hint of blush, and a light berry lip finish the look.