Honored Contributor

Re: As You Know, I Don't Wear Sunscreen

[ Edited ]

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@monicakm wrote:

@brandiwine 

And I don't understand the lack of reading comprehension by some here.  REREAD my comment.  I was just asking, for those that use it, are they using it as instructed by health professionals/cancer organizations?

@monicakm   Derms and health professionals recommend putting the SPF along the pointer and middle finger to judge how much is needed for face and neck....2 fingers which I think is 1/4 cup to be protected. I do use a bit more for my neck...front and back if my hair is worn up.

@Shanus I think you meant 1/4 tsp. 😉😅

@Texasmouse   Yes. Thanks for catching my "boo boo".

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

No bashing please.  I'm not in the sun enough to be harmed by it.  I've shunned the sun and heat all my life.  So now that that's out of the way,

I wear capris and sandals most of the year (Texas).  I'm sitting in the shade with my legs (knees down) exposed to the sun to try and get a little color. About 10 mins a day. Not looking for a savage tan, just enough to give my milky white legs a bit of color (I don't want to do self tan).  If I use a sun screen, I won't tan.  Right?  And again, I'm not wanting to look like JLo.  

Thanks

I tan even with sunscreen @monicakm . But I only wear it to the beach. 

It is in my Lancôme foundation but that's it.I don't want the chemicals from sunscreen and on my face, they always break me out. My skin at nearly 70 is clear, a few fine lines and no brown spots or irregularities. My hands have no brown spots either. 

Respected Contributor

I think you should test out how your skin reacts to the 10mins per day on your legs.  I also feel everyones skin is different and what will cause a problem for 1 person may not for another.

I can't go in the sun due to my skin diseases (rosacea, prickle heat, sun poisoning reaction, hives) so SPF is a daily event for me LOL!  Also I own clothing, hats and even my newest purchase from Amazon of a VU face visor (have no idea if it really works as I haven't taken it up to the opitical center to see if they could test it for me. 

In my youth I wanted to be able to tan like my girlfriends and it was very popular to have a dark tan.  With my skin type (ultra fair) that was a disaster!  But I did the damage trying and well I can't go back in time and stop myself.  Wish I could.  I have lot's of sun damage popping up all over the place plus everything else.

I recently had a full body skin check at derm's office and thankfully nothing is cancerous.  I just hope and pray that doesn't happen and take many steps to help for the last 30 yrs since I was diagnosised with rosacea.  That rocked my world and sun is like putting gasoline on a raging fire.

I have family and friends that have zero issues and would never do what I do and I do not tell they should.  We must go by what we each are dealing with and make the best choices with good information.  I sure wish I had listened way back in the day....I was a silly teen and 20 something that didn't listen and got burned many times.  

I do use a 1/4 tsp of spf on face....then 1/4 on neck....1/4 on chest or more depending on the top I have on.  I have another skin condition on my neck & chest broken caps plus redness which they call Poikiloderma.  Might try VBeam on this in future when I am done doing them on my face for rosacea.

Now for the rest of me...that depends...if I am wearing short sleeves I wear spf on arms/hands.  Then if wearing open sandals I started doing the tops of my feet as they will tan and get strap marks.  For some reason tops of my feet do tan and not burn LOL!  I usually wear full pants but if it's hot out I will wear crops and then I do put spf on.  So it just depends on the time of the year here (we are not like Texas) and what my plans are for the day.

Best wishes to you and hope this wasn't a novel to readWoman LOL

Respected Contributor

@monicakm  I read and comprehend just fine.  The directions you posted don't name a source so I have no idea if this is from a dermatologist, American Cancer Society, or a sunscreen company.  You do mention that if you use as much and as often as this pic recommends it is beneficial to sunscreen companies.  I mean no disrespect to you or your research in skincare and makeup knowledge.  

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite 

Best wishes to you and hope this wasn't a novel to read

Woman LOL

No, it didn't seem like a novel to me.  It was a pleasant and informative post.  I'm sorry you've had to deal with this.  I know to most people, getting out in the sun is a fact of life we don't even think about and some people (gasp) even like it.  I have jokingly told people I'm allergic to the sun, but, maybe I really am to a degree.  If it hadn't been for my family's (and my) love of horses, I may have shunned the sun as much as I do now.  That was about the only thing that could get me out in the heat.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 

I want to use what you use.  You look GREAT for 70 (g)  It's been many decades but I think I remember putting sunscreen on my face at some point and getting the same reaction...burning and tingling.  Many many years ago, I bought some Coppertone suntan lotion just to wear it for the fragrance.  I've always loved that smell.  I have one teeny brown spot on the top of my right hand, beneath my thumb.  It hasn't improved over the 3 years I've been putting skincare on my hands but it hasn't gotten bigger or darker either.  Other than that, my hands (and face) are clear.  

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife 

Is your dad from Texas?  LOL

I have to get my God-given Vit D

from a bottle.  I need a lot of it because of 

my MS but out in the actual sun is out of the question.

Did you get anything from the Sephora sale?  

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Trinity11 

I want to use what you use.  You look GREAT for 70 (g)  It's been many decades but I think I remember putting sunscreen on my face at some point and getting the same reaction...burning and tingling.  Many many years ago, I bought some Coppertone suntan lotion just to wear it for the fragrance.  I've always loved that smell.  I have one teeny brown spot on the top of my right hand, beneath my thumb.  It hasn't improved over the 3 years I've been putting skincare on my hands but it hasn't gotten bigger or darker either.  Other than that, my hands (and face) are clear.  

I will be 70 in May. Thanks for the compliment @monicakm . I think staying out of the sun helps, though. 

Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

LOL!  No, both Mama and Daddy were born Okies, but they moved down to Texas as quick as they could!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife 

This reminds me of a t-shirt that my daughter bought my husband.  Texas has a large influx of CA residents moving here because of our good economy and CA's not so good economy.  And being a home contractor, DH has done a lot of work for CA refugees (g).   There are also requests to "close the borders" (Texas borders) Smiley Surprised

Don&