Honored Contributor

Re: As You Know, I Don't Wear Sunscreen

@Tinkrbl44 

If I ever become more of an outdoor person, I would wear sunscreen.  I am not going to worry about walking from a car to a store and back.  I pick up groceries and prescriptions at a drive-thru and sit in my car for WM pick ups.  I buy everything else online.  I go out to eat (in the evening) once or twice a week.  I feel there is some credence to the sunscreen explosion.  And that has given sunscreen manufacturers all they needed to run with this.  They are making 100s of millions of dollars and have even convinced some to apply sunscreen when they are inside their house.  So far, my lifestyle doesn't require sunscreen.  IOW, I'm not influenced.  I don't have a typical lifestyle.  And yes, every single skincare pro/advocate/Dr/enthusiast starts with "apply your sunscreen".

Honored Contributor

@monicakm   I think you'd know I have to weigh in here. Not bashing, but just common sense especially for you... someone so into skincare, makeup and looking tops every day.

Why would you take the chance of getting skin cancer much less the premature wrinkling, volume loss, spots and general damage done by being in the sun...even just riding in the car?

I don't understand the 5 extra minutes it takes to apply sunscreen every morning can save you premature aging. Watch any of your YT derms or videos and SPF is a must.

Respected Contributor

I have a cruise coming up.  Started using Jerfgens Natural Glow to put a little color on my legs and make my spider and varicose veins less noticable.  I've used it only twice so far, but liking it so far.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

premature wrinkling, volume loss, spots and general damage done by being in the sun

I don't have ANY of those things.  My complexion looks at least half the age it is.  Note, I said my complexion.  I'm not saying I look 32.  The proof is in the pudding.  I don't call out anyone that uses things I don't, I've never understood why some here call me out because I don't do what they do.  I'm using Tretinoin for two reasons.  First are the there again/gone again flesh colored tiny bumps on top of my cheekbones and second is for prevention.  Volume loss?  I don't even know what that is so maybe I do have that.  My face is plump and firm, so maybe I don't.  Because of my MS and intolerance for heat (living in Texas), I don't have the sun exposure that the average person does.  Nowhere near it.  Of all the things that could kill me, skin cancer isn't going to make the list.  Thanks for "not bashing".  We've come too far.  And yes, I know that every single YTer will advise first and foremost sunscreen but I'm not influenced by everything YT tells me.  I am not disputing its importance tho.  My situation is not average.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

Where are you going on your cruise?  We've always done the Caribbean because we're close to the port.  And always go in January because of my heat intolerance.  DH is ready to go again.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@ScrapHappy 

Where are you going on your cruise?  We've always done the Caribbean because we're close to the port.  And always go in January because of my heat intolerance.  DH is ready to go again.

It's just a 4 night cruise on the Disney Wish, the new ship.  The Wish only does 3 and 4 nights out of Port Canaveral with stops at Nassau and Castaway Cay (Disney's private island).  We sailed on the Fantasy in December on a 7 night to Tortola, St. Thomas and Castaway Cay (been on there before).  

Honored Contributor

@monicakm   Just friendly advice I've anyone who does not use SPF. Now that you're using Retin A espcecially important since it makes your skin even MORE sensitive. 

Of course, always your decision whether it's me, women here or YT, but everyone who wants to preserve their skin's looks and prevent skin cancer uses a sunscreen.

If it doesn't bother you knowing the facts, derm recommendations, be free and go out without using one.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm , Please say why you do not wear sunscreen, i honestly do not understand ,you are so much into skincare i find this  odd.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Well----I am one that wears sunscreen pretty much during the warm months I am out and about  ---am in the PNW where it rains and is grey during most the months ---I apply it , especially on my face. Those harmful rays can still get to your skin no matter how short a time you are outside and in the shade and they get thru cloudy skies as well. Thats why I wear it. I know people who say and feel the same way about spf and they have had skin cancer sugery, some a few times---not bashing or preaching---just the facts. Not a fan of tanning anymore. Self tanner makes me smell like dirty feet--have heard drs say tht 20 minutes max ,during the day gets you over 20,000 IU of vitamin D----where I live we are lucky to be able to get 20 minutes of sunshine in a week--this time of year. And I get color using sunscreen--I tan very easily. You do you, friend!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

So, I've already said I don't wear it daily except that it is in my moisturizer, but I've also heard the experts claim the amount you get in skincare is not enough.  As to why I don't wear more than that since I see people asking.  The number one reason is becuase I HATE the feel of it.  I'm accustomed to a bare face without a lot of stuff on it.  The other reason is, like @monicakm , I don't feel it's necessary for quick trips outside.  I did go to the dermatologist last year to have a mole removed and she did an all over look see of my skin with no issues.  

Yesterday, I spent most of the day outside, so it was 70 spf on my face and arms even though I was in the shade and 99% of the time bent over with my face facing the ground as I dug leaves out of plants.  

Now, for my question to those of you who wear spf daily.  Do you wear it all over daily, or just on your face?  The same UV rays that are coming through the windshield are hitting your bare arms, and the same UV rays bouncing off the sidewalk are also hitting your arms and legs.  For me, the stuff for the body feels even worse than the stuff for the face, even the Dry Touch.