Honored Contributor

Re: As You Know, I Don't Wear Sunscreen

The only sunscreen I wear on a daily basis is the sunscreen in the Elemis moisturizer I'm currently using on AD.  Once the AD runs out, I'll probably go back to M Asam which doesn't have sunscreen in it or maybe M Asam will have an AD special again. 

Now, when I plan to be outside working in the yard, which is mostly shade, I do wear sunscreen.  However, I'm bad not to reapply.  So, I'm here to tell you that yes, you will tan through sunscreen.  I have been using exfoliating lotion on my arms trying to get rid of farmer tan, and now that I have finally gotten rid of it yardwork season is back.  Didn't think about the difference between sunscreen and sunblock.  I just bought some Neutrogena 70 Dry Touch. 

That's the other thing.  I hate the feel of sunscreen, so if the sunblock feels yucky like most sunscreens do, I wouldn't wear it anyways.  The Dry Touch feels better than most.  And if I have to choose between bug spray and sunscreen, bug spray wins.  I will not wear them both at the same time. Blech!  I usually try spraying my clothes and hair first.  Glad I have a DynaTrap. It helps a lot.

Honored Contributor

I live in the PNW and do not wear sunscreen, other than what's in my foundation. on a regular basis.  I would rather wear a hat that shades my eyes and protects my neck.  Surprisingly I do not have age spots.  

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@bmorechick 

I'd sit out there a little longer but I don't like heat and bugs.  I found a black mamba on the patio the other day.  OK, it might have been a chicken snake but a snake is a snake to me.  I don't like the outdoors.  Mosquitos love my type O blood I don't like the outdoors.  I like snow!  I wish I did like the beach scene but I'm just not cut out for it.

Yeah we are all different in our preferences.  I have a sister in law who doesn't like outside either and she grew up in the country!  Hubs and I and kids have always been outdoor sports enthusiasts so that's our thing. Now we HATE fall and winter because it cools off so while we do try and get outside on nice days, we are inside a lot in winter.  I've been a bikini beach babe since I was 15 months old and my parents trekked us all to the beach every summer.  Developed a love for the ocean.  No bikini anymore (yikes) but I do wear the tankini and I do swim in the ocean. Hubs doesn't because he said there's "creatures" in the water 🥹.  Mosquitoes love me too and that's why we have a screen porch.  We can sit out on those hot, thick steamy nights with no bugs.   

Honored Contributor

@monicakm.  I don't remember where I saw you posting on getting a pedicure while you are recovering from a knee replacement.  I am going to nag you, okay?  It's a bad idea in case you get an infection which can then travel to your new joint.  That could turn into a royal pain.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live at high altitude and it would be foolish to go w/o sunscreen around here b/c the UV comes in at 10-15% stronger than at sea level. There is less air to filter the UV plus we are closer to the sun.

It helps to pay attention the what is called the UV INDEX which changes throughout the day usually peaking around midday when the damage from the sun is the greatest.

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I live in the PNW and do not wear sunscreen, other than what's in my foundation. on a regular basis.  I would rather wear a hat that shades my eyes and protects my neck.  Surprisingly I do not have age spots.  

@tansy 

Live in Seattle and skin cancer happens to people here too. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

DOES IT WORK ON THE DEADLY JUNE BUG???

I am scared to death of June bugs that start in late March or early April around here.  If one bombards me, I beat myself up trying to get it off, get my clothes off and scream bloody murder.  The grandbabies used to delight in nothing more than putting a June bug in my face or just literally throwing the thing on me.   It's safer to just stay indoors.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Is the Dyna Trap like the old bug zapper?

Honored Contributor

@bmorechick 

It sounds like a perfect life if you're cut out for it.  I'm glad you enjoy it Smiley Happy

I've been in the country since I was 13. And believe it or not, I LOVE the ocean.  I love water.  I love cruises to tropical destinations, but, I'm one of those that would be happy to never leave the ship lol  How does anyone like hot steamy weather?

Honored Contributor

@tansy 

Oh no no no.  If I said I was getting a pedi after my surgery, I didn't mean it.  I'm getting one prior to my surgery.  My PT guy told me with the first knee surgery not to get a pedicure and what COULD happen.  He is solely responsible for me going around with nekkid piggies for months after my knee replacement.  I don't let the techs do the cuticle thing.  First, I don't need it and when they did do it, they hurt me so I just shake my head no when they try.  Thank you tho for caring Smiley Happy