Respected Contributor

I'm one of those high-low kind of people who uses and has high end products and the lower end too. I have one Artis brush that is kind of "meh" to me. Just picked up a clearance set of Wet n Wild Holiday brushes (10 brushes) 50% off that are fabulous! I paid 15 dollars for them. So it just shows you, "who knew?" !!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

I bought the 3 piece set from HSN last year.  I love the oval 6 brush and use that for applying my foundation.  It makes the makeup go on very smoothly and I think I use less foundation with it.  It has been worth the money to me.

The two smaller brushes I have not used much.  I don't really like them for putting on eyeshadows.  As of yesterday, they had the 3 piece set with cleaner on sale for $90 and a 5 piece (different shaped) set with cleaner for $110.

I clean mine around once a week and have noticed no problems with that. 

Honored Contributor

I bought an inexpensive knockoff set from Amazon a little over a year ago - ten brushes for about $15.  They range from very large down to eyeliner and eyeshadow brushes.  I used them for awhile when I first bought them and then proceeded to forget about them.  After reading this discussion last night, I pulled them out this morning to give them another try.  I used powdered foundation this morning and was happy with the results.  Tomorrow I'll try them with a different foundation.

Honored Contributor

I have never tried the Artis brand before but I did try dupes of them. For me I prefer more of a flat-top on my foundation brushes and these Artis-type brushes have curved tops on them so I did not like them at all. I wear mineral powder foundation and I think I have tried every kind of brush out there. A few years ago I bought a Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Kabuki brush, now discontinued, and it has been the best brush I have ever used. I hate to say it but I am not liking the Michael Todd Sonicblend brush anymore. I have returned to using my PF buki.

images.jpg

images (1).jpg

If you can find one of these buy it!  Pressed and loose powder foundations never looked better.Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

I have the Artis brushes and they are very good at applying foundation.Not so much for eyeshadows.Don't use normal soaps or shampoo but specific cleaners.My favorite is Cinema Secrets.

Great dupes for Artis are Real Technique and Caitlyn brushes.

When I buy Artis brushes from HSN I use coupons,

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have never tried the Artis brand before but I did try dupes of them. For me I prefer more of a flat-top on my foundation brushes and these Artis-type brushes have curved tops on them so I did not like them at all. I wear mineral powder foundation and I think I have tried every kind of brush out there. A few years ago I bought a Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Kabuki brush, now discontinued, and it has been the best brush I have ever used. I hate to say it but I am not liking the Michael Todd Sonicblend brush anymore. I have returned to using my PF buki.

images.jpg

images (1).jpg

If you can find one of these buy it!  Pressed and loose powder foundations never looked better.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee- Funny you should say this.  I've fallen out of like with it too.  Kinda wish now that I hadn't bought it, but I "had" to have it, so live and learn.  I went back to my regular brushes, but now am going to give my Artis dupes another shot.  

Honored Contributor

@Bibione

I don't wear foundation so my concern was the eyeshadow brush mainly.  The shape doesn't seem conducive to a smooth application. Seems awkward. I  just don't imagine being able to sweep in both directions?

Honored Contributor

@tototwo   No brush is worth an inflated price.  I found that the only brush I use is for finishing powder.  I prefer the sponge by Real Techniques that is a light orange color in the shape of an egg with a point.  No matter what you use, brush or sponge both products do soak up a little product.  Real Technique also has excellent brushes and the prices are reaonable.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

I bought a set for $29 (that shows you how over priced they are) from an online discount place. During holidays, at the end of talk shows, Extra, the View and so on have these "best gift buys" presentations.

There was a set that "was $195.00, and now only $29"! (audience goes wild). I figured I would try them.

I am not overly fond of them. For first application of anything (foundation, blush, eyeshadow or whatever), they are very hard to work with. I am not sure if it is because they pick up too much product or the product just clings to the brushes hairs unevenly or what it is, but I make a mess.

What they are good for is blending everything out at the end. They do make a nice finish.....but not for the high prices I have seen them at.

Meh, $29 and I still don't pick them up as my first choice of brush.

Funny you mention that @gabstoomuch, I have been using the Doll 10 foundation brush to buff out my foundation.  Otherwise, it seems my foundation really shows every imperfection, and I'm getting more and more as I get older.

Esteemed Contributor

Kind of what @Andreatoo said.... that the shape of these brushes doesn't seem conducive to smooth application (is there an echo in here?).  Since these brushes are shaped like a fat toothbrush, how do you buff foundation around the edges of your face and into the corners, like around your nose and eyes?  

If they ever get down to about $10, I'd like to try them.  But at their current prices, absolutely not.  I'll keep my IT double-ended brushes - but I'll take a look at the Real Technique and Caitlyn brushes.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt