Honored Contributor

Re: Article: Long Hair Over 50

I've always wore my hair in a short, spikey, pixie style even when it wasn't popular. My hair is fine, thin and poker straight. It looks its best short. My dh has always told me he likes longer hair on women. Oh well, too bad. I had my hair long and stringy way back in high school. Then just a few years ago I grew out my pixie and wore it in an inverted bob. Yuck, it looked horrible! It really pulled my face down and made me look so much older. I couldn't wait to have it all chopped off again! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

No long hair after 50? Tell that to Goldie Hawn, Diane Keaton, Gloria Steinem. I've had long, short, and in between. Now long again. I'm 57. My hair is past my shoulders and I intend to let it grow as long as it can go! It's thick and healthy with blonde highlights in reddish-brown. Yes, I have it touched up every 6 weeks or so but it's worth it right now. I keep my hair curled with the same hot rollers I used in high school and get many compliments -- even from strangers! It's fun to use hair accessories or just twist into a bun to get it off my face on a hot day. People think I'm younger, too, so the long hair isn't dragging down my face.

Short hair on me looks matronly and I'm not ready to go there. But there are a lot of cute shorter styles that look great on others!

Who writes these rules, anyway????

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

At my age I prefer shoulder length hair. It's easier for me to take care of. My hair was waist length forever. I finally got up the nerve to start cutting it until I got it mid back. One day I just cut it shoulder length & thought why did I wait so long to do this. It's so much easier to wash & condition. My hair is thinning now so long hair no longer looks good. I doubt I will ever cut it where it's what I call an up do. I think those styles make you look older then you are.

Esteemed Contributor

As soon as "society" pays my bills, raises my children, cleans my house and secures my retirement.....I'll give a care what they think is correct for me.

Honored Contributor

For myself, there is nothing worse than a woman with a great figure and dressed very young, waist length hair and she turns around to exhibit a face that shows she is no young woman. It can be startling and smacks of a woman who can't get past her glory days of high school.

Once a woman reaches a certain age it just looks like she is desperately holding on to her youth. And I highly doubt that thought hasn't crossed the mind of many people who see very long hair on a woman past 50...may not tell her to her face though. They will clamor how it's fine to do what you want but with it comes a price.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

For myself, there is nothing worse than a woman with a great figure and dressed very young, waist length hair and she turns around to exhibit a face that shows she is no young woman. It can be startling and smacks of a woman who can't get past her glory days of high school.

Once a woman reaches a certain age it just looks like she is desperately holding on to her youth. And I highly doubt that thought hasn't crossed the mind of many people who see very long hair on a woman past 50...may not tell her to her face though. They will clamor how it's fine to do what you want but with it comes a price.

The other side of the coin is the woman wearing matronly clothing and a short, no-style hairdo.  From the back she looks 60+. When she turns around you see she is 30.

The moral of the story is that women should wear clothing and hair styles that flatter them. Not what society deems "proper" for some pulled out of the air age group, but flattering to her own unique body and face. 

It's also helpful to reassess your hair and clothing choices every now and then.  What was flattering on you 5 years ago may need tweaking 5 years later.

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same like with "age appropriate" make-up, determining the hair length also greatly depends on a few factors.

To me, first comes the beauty, quality, and health of her hair - if woman has great hair to show off, it can look quite classy, if kept and cut nicely. Why not? 

It also matters, how well woman's skin is taken care of - long hair would not beautify an unkept, old-looking sagging, wrinkled face. And most importantly - if  woman has a personality and an attitude to carry if off!

Here is a few. Quite inspiring to me, I think, these women don't look too shabby with their long hair styles....

Long hair can look good on anyone as long as it is in good condition ...

Long hair can look good on anyone as long as it is in good condition ...

df67a6f06cf25551d7a2197cb1e63ef8.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

p.s. I also want to add - with longer hair a woman has a multitude of possibilities, when she is not feeling up to letting her hair down! She can tie and pin it up anyway she wants! Unlike with short cuts, with long hair she is open to many choices. She can create many different looks for herself - every day! She can make herself to be "very age appropriate" if she so chooses! Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

if you enlarge my avatar, that's me..Imturn 58 this week, though I was only about 54-55 in that photo..I still have long hair, and God willing will let my freak flag fly forever....

I am no beauty like those lovely ladies in the above post, but I never was...even in my youth when I had the Hamill cut!LOL!

Do what you like!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

if you enlarge my avatar, that's me..Imturn 58 this week, though I was only about 54-55 in that photo..I still have long hair, and God willing will let my freak flag fly forever....

I am no beauty like those lovely ladies in the above post, but I never was...even in my youth when I had the Hamill cut!LOL!

Do what you like!

I have opened your avatar, @Mothertrucker, and I LOVE! You are an inspiration to me, my hair is getting longer and healthier with a product I am using for a year and a half.

Before, my only choice was no lower, than chin length. Now I have it finally touching my shoulders and proud of of my shiny healthy hair! My hair is so nice now, that I even completely stopped covering my gray for about 10 month now. Hair looks so much better with lots of gray in it, than it ever was colored/highlighted.

Yes, @Mothertrucker - you are beautiful and enough with this carp already. These ladies were taking pro photos, while looking and posing at their best! I am sure, they don't always look this "lovely", but it's besides the point, keep your hair and your skin at their best, and you'll look fab at any age.