Honored Contributor

Re: Article ... Gray hair is hot again

In the Devil Wears Prada, Meryl Streep was silver and another woman on her staff was salt & pepper in a meeting. Gray hair is attractive when taken care just like any other color and a great hair cut. I love my salt & pepper hair and receive compliments on it's color all the time.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Well, if 'they' whomever decided it is hot again, could take one look at my head and see all of the gray from where I haven't had it colored in awhile, they'd changed their mind really quickly.

It will/would no longer be "in" by anyone.

Esteemed Contributor

Gray still doesn't look good on me and I have neutral/cool coloring. I am naturally brunette, but these days, it comes from Clairol Root Touch Up.

Super Contributor

Two of my friends with dark hair ... in their early 60s ... have decided not to color their gray. When we get together for lunch ... we do a gray hair check to see which of them got grayer since our last lunch! Their hair is dark brown their gray "sparkles" (Jhirmak shampoo).

Two others are natural blondes ... can't even see any gray hair. And, I'm a bottle blonde.

We all have our individual preferences ... one size doesn't fit all.

Frequent Contributor

This might sound crazy to some, but I want gray hair! I stopped coloring my hair about six years ago. I wear my hair quite short and have gotten many haircuts since then. My hair is still only about 25% gray! It is graying at a snail's pace. Lately, I have been looking at old photos of people in my family and I notice that my father and some of the people on his side of the family never got very gray. They left this earth with hair like...well, a lot like I have now. This got me thinking, and now I am not sure I want to live the rest of my life with this kind of hair. Not to mention it looks really awful under the fluorescent lights of my office! So I'm thinking about going back to color. The question is: what color?

Honored Contributor

On 3/6/2015 LuLuBelle said:

I gave up dying about 10 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done - love my salt & pepper hair! A lot of women stop me and say how much they like it and would do it if they knew it would look like mine. I laugh and tell them I had no idea what mine would look like either as I had been dying for so long - give it a try - you may just love it! It's liberating not to worry about those pesky roots peaking through - lol.

My experience is the about the same. I have a good haircut and people are always complimenting me on my hair. I have had several people ask what I put on my hair to get that color. I did not know gray hair dye existed or I would have definitely used instead of the long grow out process!!!

Honored Contributor

On 3/6/2015 KittyLouSoutenu said:

Not on my head it's not!

Ditto!!!

Contributor

I am going white beneath my deep brown hair that I dye to keep its former natural color. Could you please tell me what you ladies do to soften your graying hair? My texture has changed so much and its long...(I am a longer haired girl and always will be)..and it feels so dry and itchy. I have tried coconut oil, argan oil, ....but are there any treatments available to make if feel softer?

Thank You. I will be ever so grateful for any and all of your suggestions. (with the exception of cutting my hair!) Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

On 3/6/2015 colliegirls said:

bull!!

^^^^^This

Helen852
Esteemed Contributor

Nope. Gray hair would make me not only look old, but I would feel old too. I've been coloring my brown hair for nearly 20 years and it's not a big deal for me to do a root touch-up every week as I do it at night time when I'm watching tv.

Yes, my hair texture has changed underneath the color as my hair is coarser and it's wavy now, especially in the back. So no matter what color my hair is, that texture isn't going to change. My hair is gray resistant to it doesn't want to hold on to color easily but that isn't going to change my mind.