Honored Contributor

Re: Article ... Gray hair is hot again

My mom lived to be 94 and colored her hair up until the day she passed away. She always said she did not care for white hair, but silver was pretty.

Esteemed Contributor

When Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon go gray then and only then will I think of it as ""hot"". There are some (not too many) that really look good with the gray. They usually are very attractive and have great style and are lucky of the shade and texture of the gray. That leaves me out.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

My mom doesn't color her gray but she is a natural redhead and the gray has just made her hair look lighter all over. But for someone like me who has always had a high contrast between my light skin and nearly black hair the silver just makes my face look drab and monotone IMO. In my 20's I was a blonde for a few years and it took a professional to get me that light. Everyone thought I looked better in my natural color.

My daughter says that she can't wait until she gets silver hair so she won't have to bleach her hair to use manic panic lol. She got my natural color. Now I color mine brown black with Natural Instincts, roots only.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

I gave up dying about 10 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done - love my salt & pepper hair! A lot of women stop me and say how much they like it and would do it if they knew it would look like mine. I laugh and tell them I had no idea what mine would look like either as I had been dying for so long - give it a try - you may just love it! It's liberating not to worry about those pesky roots peaking through - lol.

Honored Contributor

I started finding white hairs in my teens and had been dying my dark hair for over 40 years. Once I retired and came down with RA, I no longer had the desire to keep doing so, so I cut it very short and let the white grow in. It is now quite long and completely silvery/white and I'm satisfied with it. I would never go back to dying it. It's healthier than it ever was all those years, although it has thinned considerably.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Contributor

Gray hair can be beautiful. I've been going gray for some years now and really like it. I think what makes a woman with gray hair look old is the cut and style, or a bad perm. Healthy well-styled hair no matter the color makes a woman look beautiful. (Plus, I love having one less thing to worry about or pay for.)

Esteemed Contributor

bull!!

Respected Contributor

LuLuBelle, My experience is the same as yours. After I retired, I decided to go gray as I had been coloring it myself. I got my hair cut short and let it grow in. I too get compliments on my gray hair, some people think I had it streaked. Now I have a chin length bob. My view is that people can tell from your face your approximate age, no one is fooled by your hair color.
Trusted Contributor

On 3/6/2015 Nancy Drew said:

When Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon go gray then and only then will I think of it as "hot". There are some (not too many) that really look good with the gray. They usually are very attractive and have great style and are lucky of the shade and texture of the gray. That leaves me out.

I agree. The color is staying on my hair, lol. The salt & pepper color of my hair is very aging and not at all attractive. My mother had the same, and never colored her hair. She always looked much older and her face always looked washed out.

My original color was very dark brown/black, as my father was Italian with coal black hair. I color my hair a lighter brown shade now, at 56. Because, even though my hair was dark, my skin was light. I think a little color warms my complexion.

My hair stylist has promised me that he will tell me when my color should be changed. I think that, when I decide to go gray, I will probably go with a more platinum color.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Super Contributor

I think women with cooler-tone complexions look better with gray hair. I am fair with golden undertones and I think gray hair would look hideous with my coloring. Yes, I am a slave to the hair salon! My hairdresser jokes that gray is his favorite color (translation: more business for him).