Does argan oil and argan oil products have a shelf life? Found several items purchased last year and would like to be able to use them without an issue. Thanks for your expertise! 

Honored Contributor

@Sam Gammy wrote:

Does argan oil and argan oil products have a shelf life? Found several items purchased last year and would like to be able to use them without an issue. Thanks for your expertise! 

@Sam Gammy 

Some sources suggest a 2-year shelf life for pure argan oil.  That's unopened.

Looks like 6 months once opened which means my bottle is ancient.  It's one reason some prefer jojoba -- a much longer shelf life.

There are indicators of a bottle that's gone bad (scent, texture) but I guess if you don't notice a change you can use it 'til you do. Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I purchased Josie’s supersized oil last year.... Never opened and remained in the box in a dry, dark place (linen closet). Opened it 3 months ago and it was rancid. I think it depends if the product is fresh when you receive it. I now purchase my oils locally in smaller sizes. Lesson learned.

Honored Contributor

I like to pour off a small portion into another small amber dropper bottle then store the majority of the rest in the fridge. The smaller bottle stays in my bathroom for everyday use and when that gets to the bottom, I toss it in the dishwasher then refill it after that....or you can just use another clean bottle if you have one while the other is in the washer.

Respected Contributor

I buy Shea Moisture brand argan oil when it's on sale (I use JM if I get a good deal on it.). 

I use it mainly for makeup remover.

The last couple of bottles that I got of the Shea Moisture have a stronger smell than usual, but I don't get to Ulta (I order online) very often.

I have used them as makeup remover, since I just rub it on to break up my makeup & then wash it off with FAB Face Cleanser.

I noticed that they have new packaging so I probably got some old stock.

I do keep my spare bottles in the refrigerator.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I like to pour off a small portion into another small amber dropper bottle then store the majority of the rest in the fridge. The smaller bottle stays in my bathroom for everyday use and when that gets to the bottom, I toss it in the dishwasher then refill it after that....or you can just use another clean bottle if you have one while the other is in the washer.

@SilleeMee   That’s what I usually do once a product is opened. I thought I would be safe with an used bottle.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee   That’s what I usually do once a product is opened. I thought I would be safe with an used bottle.

I know what you mean. @Shanus  Products that are 100% pure, with no preservatives, are destined to spoil...and sooner than you might think. Wish I could fit a small fridge in my bathroom. Wouldn't that be nice!

Valued Contributor

purchased for me on amazon it was imported./