Honored Contributor

It's really odd that this question would get snarky answers because every day people ask ""Will this make me break out?"" ""Does this make my skin oily?"" ""Does this really help those lines around the eyes?"" Then you ask ""Could I die from this?"" and you get accused of being silly. And SOOOOOO it goes!

Super Contributor
On 10/25/2014 RJL-DLL 75 said:
On 10/25/2014 KippyK3 said:

I agree, OP. These boards are for discussing opinions and ideas, hopefully in a mature, civilized, and respectful manner. It is my opinion that Ebola is no laughing matter. To be concerned, and to ask questions, does not mean that I am (we) are becoming hysterical. I have not seen one question on this thread that indicates hysteria. This is extremely serious, and has afflicted thousands of people, in one way or another. I wonder if you would make your jokes to their faces? Or to our troops and doctors, (and their families) who have been sent to help??

So go ahead. Mistake my concern and compassion for hysteria.

Thank You KippyK3, for understanding my concern. I am not in a panic mode over Ebola but, want to take pre-cautions. I don't think anyone is positively sure how Ebola is transmitted and for now I would rather be safe than sorry.

Oh, you are quite welcome! I never thought that you seemed hysterical, nor do I think that questions regarding Ebola are silly. Just because some of us are concerned, cautious, and are reading studies/reports to educate ourselves, does not mean we are hysterical. In fact, I have not seen/heard one single person who is. Of course, this is JMO. I am in Small Town, USA, and people are concerned. Not hysterical. Big difference.

Honored Contributor
On 10/26/2014 KippyK3 said:

I agree, OP. These boards are for discussing opinions and ideas, hopefully in a mature, civilized, and respectful manner. It is my opinion that Ebola is no laughing matter. To be concerned, and to ask questions, does not mean that I am (we) are becoming hysterical. I have not seen one question on this thread that indicates hysteria. This is extremely serious, and has afflicted thousands of people, in one way or another. I wonder if you would make your jokes to their faces? Or to our troops and doctors, (and their families) who have been sent to help??

Thank You KippyK3, for understanding my concern. I am not in a panic mode over Ebola but, want to take pre-cautions. I don't think anyone is positively sure how Ebola is transmitted and for now I would rather be safe than sorry.

Oh, you are quite welcome! I never thought that you seemed hysterical, nor do I think that questions regarding Ebola are silly. Just because some of us are concerned, cautious, and are reading studies/reports to educate ourselves, does not mean we are hysterical. In fact, I have not seen/heard one single person who is. Of course, this is JMO. I am in Small Town, USA, and people are concerned. Not hysterical. Big difference.

I wasn't one who said that people on THIS thread were hysterical, although I do absolutely believe that one post came very close to deserving that label.

But if you think that there hasn't been unwarranted hysteria in this country, you have not been reading the news. Every day there is a new story of unfounded fear and its results. I even referred to one in particular in my last post here.

I think such irrational reactions can cause far more problems here than the disease itself. Sadly, the tragedy in certain African countries sometimes seems to take a back seat to those fears. Hopefully, that will change. Aside from what is moral and right, our own interests lie in controlling and eradicating Ebola in those ravaged countries.

I hope that the OP has been able to decipher an answer to her original question. Personally, I will continue to buy Argan oil from Shea Terra Organics without any qualms whatsoever.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor
On 10/26/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 10/26/2014 KippyK3 said:

I wasn't one who said that people on THIS thread were hysterical, although I do absolutely believe that one post came very close to deserving that label.

But if you think that there hasn't been unwarranted hysteria in this country, you have not been reading the news. Every day there is a new story of unfounded fear and its results. I even referred to one in particular in my last post here.

I think such irrational reactions can cause far more problems here than the disease itself. Sadly, the tragedy in certain African countries sometimes seems to take a back seat to those fears. Hopefully, that will change. Aside from what is moral and right, our own interests lie in controlling and eradicating Ebola in those ravaged countries.

I hope that the OP has been able to decipher an answer to her original question. Personally, I will continue to buy Argan oil from Shea Terra Organics without any qualms whatsoever.

Hi suzyQ3. I was not quoting you. In fact, I do agree with many of your posts. I enjoy reading them across these boards. IMO you have the ability to see both sides of an issue, and articulate your replies accordingly. Please forgive me, if I haven't. My response was mainly to support OP. And the question. IMO it is not laughable. Not at all. Through education, we can help quiet the fear. To be concerned, to ask questions does, in no way, IMO, mean panic. I have not seen evidence of this (panic) locally, either. That is what I meant. I absolutely agree that irrational fear and reactions are not good. Once again, through questions/answers and education, we can, (hopefully) stop the fear. I feel very strongly that questions regarding something as serious as Ebola, should not be met with ridicule. I agree with you also, that we must control and eradicate Ebola in those countries. Hopefully through education, caution and profound dedication from medical personnel we can, and will do this.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your reply's. I found most of them very helpful and polite. As I mentioned I am not in a panic about Ebola but, just have questions about the safety of products coming from Africa and how they are processed. I own and help operate a cleaning business where I am at risk of coming in contact with bodily fluids, and am not concerned at all at this point but, do take precautions to be on the safe side. I can't say that I am more careful than I ever was because I have always used rubber gloves and bleach when cleaning. The way I see it is, life goes on and we can't live in fear of something that may never effect us but, just wanted some input and hear concerns that others may have when buying products from Africa.

Honored Contributor

KippyK3, thank you for your thoughtful reply to me. I know that you had not quoted me, but I mostly just wanted to state that even if any of us have not personally encountered any irrational responses in our our locales, they have been broadly publicized. Much of what has occurred seems to be directly related both to ignorance of the nature of the virus itself but also ignorance when it comes to the geography of the African continent and the countries most affected.

Here is an excellent overview from the NYT: Ebola Facts

As important as it is to be forewarned and prepared, it is also important that we keep a good, balanced perspective. This is in no way related to this particular thread in which the OP was asking a legitimate question in a calm tone but just a general point of view that I have.

To date, only one person that I'm aware of has died on our soil. I think that's something that we should keep in mind because if we become too focused on what is highly unlikely to harm us personally, we might overlook all those more immediate risks.

Again, thanks for your reply and your very kind words.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Hello, RJL-DLL 75. Smile

Just go with your instinct and what will work for you. If it turns out you're right, you avoided something bad. If it turns out you're wrong, then the products that you're thinking about buying will still be there to purchase. Smile

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder