Frequent Contributor

Argan Oil & sensitive acne prone skin...??? for any who may have had reactions at 1st but then could use?

I tried argon oil (Josie Maran) in the past and had small pimples pop up so I stopped.

I'm just wondering if others had this happen but with continued use, it cleared up? I really want to be able to use this as I need moisture!

I seem to be sensitive to every moisturizer out there!

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Argan Oil & sensitive acne prone skin...??? for any who may have had reactions at 1st but then could use?

I only use it at night. I didn't like it at first---not because I broke out, though. Just felt it was heavy---but now I do appreciate it. In the morning I use a moisturizer with spf (not hers, because I don't like the scent). I use the Clarisonic and cleanser, then the oil. I do like it---especially when my skin needs a break from all of that anti-aging stuff.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Argan Oil & sensitive acne prone skin...??? for any who may have had reactions at 1st but then could use?

Thanks KateChopin!

Anyone else?

Trusted Contributor

The regular AO is the only product I have used in many yrs. that has broken my face out..I have dry skin.

I use it on my body and a little on hair and lips....I can use the AMilk without any breakouts at all, and the argan Infinity does not break me out either.... the rest of the line is ok for me to use too.

I have not tried to use the Alight...I may at a later date. I do use many products in her line though...make up and body, and hair. It's one of my favorite lines.

I did try to use it on my face a few times over the past few yrs. and it always broke my face out ?

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Super Contributor

I can't use the regular argan oil, but I can use the light.

Esteemed Contributor

My skin is oily and acne-prone and I have never had a reaction to argan oil which resulted in a break out. Like so many I jumped on the total oil-free bandwagon of the 80s and 90s, but in fact, since I brought oil back into my skincare regimen my oil secretion is more controlled and I have had fewer breakouts. It's a scientific fact that oil is good for oil. The reason oil glands over secrete is that your body chemistry is signaling dehydration and they go into overdrive. If you feed your skin oil, those overactive oil glands tend to lay low. For me that over secretion was one of the biggest culprits which caused breakouts as I had to use more makeup -- specifically for touch ups while wearing makeup. With my oil secretion under control I can go for hours and my makeup stays put, and although I'll still get a pimple now and then, it's no longer the endless cycle.

Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 Trix said:

My skin is oily and acne-prone and I have never had a reaction to argan oil which resulted in a break out. Like so many I jumped on the total oil-free bandwagon of the 80s and 90s, but in fact, since I brought oil back into my skincare regimen my oil secretion is more controlled and I have had fewer breakouts. It's a scientific fact that oil is good for oil. The reason oil glands over secrete is that your body chemistry is signaling dehydration and they go into overdrive. If you feed your skin oil, those overactive oil glands tend to lay low. For me that over secretion was one of the biggest culprits which caused breakouts as I had to use more makeup -- specifically for touch ups while wearing makeup. With my oil secretion under control I can go for hours and my makeup stays put, and although I'll still get a pimple now and then, it's no longer the endless cycle.

Not necessarily true. The main reason oil glands go into overdrive is because of hormones, not dryness, which is why so many teenagers going through puberty develop oily skin. On the flip side, hormonal changes can cause dry skin when women become menopausal.

If the oiliness is caused by dry skin, then oils can help balance it out. However, if oily skin is caused by hormones, oils can make things worse by contributing more oil. It totally depends on the individual. That's why people have such different reactions to oils. Oils don't work well for my combo/oily skin, they clog my pores, make my skin greasy, and break me out. I can use JM light argon oil, but not in my t-zone and only when my skin gets very dry in winter.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/28/2014 cassiem said:
On 8/27/2014 Trix said:

Not necessarily true. The main reason oil glands go into overdrive is because of hormones, not dryness, which is why so many teenagers going through puberty develop oily skin. On the flip side, hormonal changes can cause dry skin when women become menopausal.

If the oiliness is caused by dry skin, then oils can help balance it out. However, if oily skin is caused by hormones, oils can make things worse by contributing more oil. It totally depends on the individual. That's why people have such different reactions to oils. Oils don't work well for my combo/oily skin, they clog my pores, make my skin greasy, and break me out. I can use JM light argon oil, but not in my t-zone and only when my skin gets very dry in winter.

I'm not a scientist, but when I "was" a hormonal teen and then later as an adult in the 70s dermatologists always suggested that I use an oil to help combat my oil glands over secreting. We weren't inundated with skincare as we are now, but most lines included some type of oil product for oily skin. At that time even the "then progressive" Clinique had an oil for the super oily skin type IVs when they didn't offer such a product for any of the other three skintypes. What is unquestionably true is that cosmetic results will vary regardless of the product -- even for those of us who have the same or similar conditions.

Respected Contributor

It broke me out when I first used it enough that I didn't think I could use it. I stopped and then let some time go by and started again and now have no problems whatsoever. I use it at least twice a day someways more. Love the stuff!!
Trusted Contributor

My skin is sort of dry/combination with acne prone, so I think of it as sensitive skin. I do get oily around the t-zone midday. I cannot use argon oil all over my face, but I use it around my eyes in e evening and to take off eyeshadow residue (raccoon eyes) in the morning - I put a drop on a q-tip and it works great. I haven't tried the milk, but I did get a sample of the light argan oil and I didn't feel it was any better (but I only used it for half a day at home and washed it off, paranoid I'd be a pimply mess by end of day).