Honored Contributor

Re: Are you scared of make up?

Afraid of makeup?! Smiley Surprised. I aDORE makeup Smiley Happy Life without it would be a scary thing tho.

To the person who felt the need to point out the misspelling of "a lot". I've encountered more than one public school teacher who taught their students to spell the phrase"a lot", allot. Sad, but true. Even sadder that the poster had to be called out 4 a very very common misspelled phrase.
Trusted Contributor

No, Makeup is one of my best friends. LOL

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ncascade wrote:

No, I am not afraid of makeup. As some else said it can be washed off the skin or face. What is there to be afraid of?

@Group 5 minus 1

I have no idea .....  it's a rather strange question, IMO.

@Tinkrbl44

NAT:  I think my fear of new products is because we grew up with very few brands and we knew from word of mouth or personal experience which worked best for us.  With so many things on the market it is hard to know which one to use for what or to stick with one brand for everything and if so, what brand.

Having a fair complexion, which can wrinkle easily, yet oily areas with a recent secondary infection following shingles, acne which was another gift post shingles, (said to be related to some of the medications I used), it was difficult for me to find right products.  So, off to the dermatologist.

Now, I am depending on my dermatologist for things I never knew existed, either prescription skin care or brands of makeup.  I know not everyone has same or similar issues but I think some of us ladies who came up with the limited brands fear putting something on our aging skin that might age it more.  Oh, Heavens.  We cannot afford that.  

@Nonametoday

I've read your post three times and my first reaction was you grew up in the 1800s .... or on some remote desert island!    

Very few brands?   Know only from "word of mouth"?   Stick with only one brand?  

Makeup has got to be one of the easiest things to learn about ... there are so many sources and all kinds of information to be had.    I suppose there are people who use only one brand, but I don't know anyone that does that  .... I'm referring to makeup, not skin care.   I know some people like to stick with one brand for that, but I'm not brand loyal for very many things.  

Granted, it sounds like you have specific concerns, but there's such a wealth of information out there, it's really yours for the asking.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not afraid of makeup at all. There are certain items that don't look good on me anymore including eyeshadows that are too matte powders or too shimmery powders.

I will try on products and buy them since I never spend a lot on any one item and if I don't like it eventually it gets tossed or donated.

I am still on the search for the perfect undereye concealer that looks good in all lighting including store florescent lighting since that seems to be when it looks like my undereye concealer has disappeared!

I also recently had a white benign mole or growth removed from my right inner eyelid close to the tear duct and I'm glad I had it done. The white mole or whatever was obvious so I would have to disguise it with a brown powder and not wear eyeliner and now that it's gone I'm experimenting with colored eyeliners.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ncascade wrote:

No, I am not afraid of makeup. As some else said it can be washed off the skin or face. What is there to be afraid of?

@Group 5 minus 1

@Tinkrbl44

NAT:  I think my fear of new products is because we grew up with very few brands and we knew from word of mouth or personal experience which worked best for us.  With so many things on the market it is hard to know which one to use for what or to stick with one brand for everything and if so, what brand.

Having a fair complexion, which can wrinkle easily, yet oily areas with a recent secondary infection following shingles, acne which was another gift post shingles, (said to be related to some of the medications I used), it was difficult for me to find right products.  So, off to the dermatologist.

Now, I am depending on my dermatologist for things I never knew existed, either prescription skin care or brands of makeup.  I know not everyone has same or similar issues but I think some of us ladies who came up with the limited brands fear putting something on our aging skin that might age it more.  Oh, Heavens.  We cannot afford that.  

@Nonametoday

I've read your post three times and my first reaction was you grew up in the 1800s .... or on some remote desert island!    

Makeup has got to be one of the easiest things to learn about ... there are so many sources and all kinds of information to be had.    I suppose there are people who use only one brand, but I don't know anyone that does that  .... I'm referring to makeup, not skin care.   I know some people like to stick with one brand for that, but I'm not brand loyal for very many things.  

Granted, it sounds like you have specific concerns, but there's such a wealth of information out there, it's really yours for the asking.

@Tinkrbl44, re the brands, she said "grew up with." I understand that perfectly. When I grew up, there were two big guns in makeup, Max  Factor and Revlon. Cover Girl was a lesser light. I don't think Neutrogena had gotten into the game. Maybelline was there, of course, but only for eye makeup, chiefly mascara and brows, IIRC. (My earliest mascara was a little red box with a cake of brown stuff and a little red toothbrush-type thing with black bristles. You wetted the cake or the brush, rubbed in the color, and applied it to your lashes.) Yardley became a presence for me as the 60s came into flower, but I don't think they were a full-makeup brand at that point, chiefly lips and eyes.

The person has developed skin issues after medical problems and apparently as an after-effect of some meds, and is now under doctor's care for her skin. She's taking her information and advice on products there, if I understand her right; consequently, her choices are limited. She's afraid of using products outside this advice because of what could happen to her skin. That seems quite wise.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@ncascade wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1

@Tinkrbl44

@Nonametoday

I think if my post were read once,it would be obvious that I said, "things I grew up" were scarce.  They were.  I grew up in a small town in the 1950s and early 1960s.  We did not have tVs with 500 cable selection.  I am sorry you think I grew up in the 1800s but anyone who knows any history whatsoever would know that anyone born in the 1950s was not born with a silver-laden TV or tablet in their hand.  I got my information from my mother, my girlfriends.  My mother wore Charles of the Ritz and Alexander du Markoff and she was not going to spend $75/bottle on make-up for a teenage girl.