Honored Contributor

Re: Are you scared of make up?

@blankette,   No.  Every so often, I like to try a cosmetic brand that I have not tried before but one that offers interesting products.  Right now I am interested in Becca.  I like the balm lipstick, lip gloss and luminous blush so far.  I never liked lip glosses but their lip gloss is not extemely sticky like most and the pearl with gold is very natural and pretty on lips.  Cat Very Happy 

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Image result for not scared

And that would be me without my "warpaint" as DH calls it.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Kardi wrote:

I've been wearing makeup since I was about 14.  Always wear it when leaving the house.    I remember when I first wanted to use it as a young teen way back in the early 60's and my mother wasn't happy.  She wore it , but back then the moms would freak and tell us we would look like "street-walkers" (nicer word for prostitute).  All these years later I believe my skin is better for having worn it.  I think perhaps it provided some sun protection even before it contained sunscreen.  Most of my friends who never wore makeup look more wrinkled than my friends who did. Just my opinion.

@Kardi . I agree with you on all points!  Yes come to think of it those who never wear makeup seem to have more wrinkles.  

I'm also around your age and wanted so badly to wear makeup in jr high but I had to wait until high school.

I think it's possibly as likely that the people who wore makeup also took better care of their skin in general, and that may be why they're less wrinkled in older age than women who didn't. All the women I know with very aged skin were either smokers for decades, lived in very sunny regions, and didn't use any product. I mean NO MOISTURIZER. I don't think they wore block, either.

In my extended family, we've also made another observation. The women who did not have children have much younger skin than those who did--far fewer lines and wrinkles. 

To the topic of the thread, I'm not "afraid" of makeup. What I fear is my favorite products being discontinued and having to find replacements. It can be a good thing, but I find it more annoying than rewarding. I'm a tried-and-true person, not an experimenter.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I were to advise a woman who was afraid to try make-up, I would suggest a tinted moisturizer, a little blush, and a soft colored lip balm color such as Burts Bees.  Mascara would be nice, too if your lashes are on the thin side...otherwise just a thin coat of Vaseline can make them stand out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I'm not and more women should wear something on their faces when going out (errand running) lipstick, blush and mascara for starters.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was a makeup artist and I have had clients that were afraid of makeup.

Some people grew up with parents that believed it was "sinful" to wear it and many other reasons. 

Maybe their boyfriend or husband didn't like it.

I would start them off slowly and kept it very light and natural.

I let them progress at their own pace.

I had a neighbor that came to my store afraid of makeup.

She bought a very light lipstick that I started her out with.

Several months later she came back looking like a clown so she must have gone somewhere else for advice and cured her phobia LOL! Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Come to think of it, I'd be really askeered to try some of the makeup applications they suggest!

So, make my no a yes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

No, I'm not and more women should wear something on their faces when going out (errand running) lipstick, blush and mascara for starters.

Why @JustJazzmom?

Esteemed Contributor

No. I love to just sit and put on makeup.  It's very relaxing for me.

Honored Contributor

No just tired of doing it.  Been putting on since I was about 13 and am 55 now.   None on the days at home on the week-end or vacation days so when I retire I will retire from that application as well.  Then I will just scare the public more often.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."