Trusted Contributor

Re: Are you embracing the current trend of short fingernails?

On 1/16/2014 sidsmom said:

Toes....what freaks me out is when I see the tips on toenails! Or a French manicure on the toes...it's like their little fingers or something. Am I the only one that's geezed out with that? =:0

Me too.

I play the piano so have fairly short nails.

Super Contributor

I did acrylic nails back in the day, but ended up seriously resenting them. The expense adds up and I really hated taking the time out to have them done. When I had them taken off, my own nails were a MESS: yellow, fragile, and prone to breakage. It took a long time to overcome that. Mine have been short for years, which is much easier for work (which involves a lot of typing) and life (which involves contact lenses and that sort of thing, lol).

I love that short French manicure look. However, I rarely paint mine because they chip so easily. What kind of polish/process do you use to avoid chipping?

Respected Contributor

Actually, what is the very latest trend is long pointed nails. I think they're awful and love a dark polish with short nails. But, the newest trend is long filed to a point nails. Short has become a classic.

Super Contributor

On 1/16/2014 BellaCarro said:

Actually, what is the very latest trend is long pointed nails. I think they're awful and love a dark polish with short nails. But, the newest trend is long filed to a point nails. Short has become a classic.

I have been noticing pointy nails. Not my cup of tea. Also, I have noticed "almond" shaped nails.

Respected Contributor

On 1/16/2014 Rochester Shopper said:
On 1/16/2014 BellaCarro said:

I have been noticing pointy nails. Not my cup of tea. Also, I have noticed "almond" shaped nails.

Yes, those, too, are what the "current trend" is.

Honored Contributor

I do have short nails but definitely not because it's a trend. If it is a trend. I had acrylic nails for many years and I just got tired of the expense, the trips to the shop, the constant worry about breaking a nail. So, I went back to natural nails and never looked back. I was fortune, years of fake nails had not damaged my own nails. My own nails don't grow long, so short was my only option. For a while, I had weekly manicures at the shop and was fond of bright nail colors. Then I gave up color and started doing my own manicures and buffing my nails to shine. I really love the look of well manicured short nails with a nice shine. For now anyway.

Frequent Contributor

sorry, but to me theres nothing more glamorous than long red fingernails (of course a reasonable length, not fu manchu)..i'd put mine next to lisa or antonella any day..those are butt ugly..

Contributor

Isn't it strange how our perceptions of things change with time? You are right about the shorter nails. They do look very feminine and clean, while the long nails from not too long ago look dated and not so nice. It is like looking at clothes from the past.

Regular Contributor

On 1/16/2014 monicamary said:

Isn't it strange how our perceptions of things change with time? You are right about the shorter nails. They do look very feminine and clean, while the long nails from not too long ago look dated and not so nice. It is like looking at clothes from the past.

I agree since I have gone through trends over many years of finding what i personally, really just for me. Now, I enjoy light natural shades/Coors in different hues, but I also enjoy red for festive times for a day or two, peach, pink tones every now and then when it correlates with my outfit for different occasions as well as seasons throughout the year. But, for everyday, I stick with more natural nails. That is just me, as the saying goes. Isn't it wonderful that we can make choices for us individually and what works for our own personalities and not be a clone to day to day trends, if we choose. My fiends are all so different and that is one thing that I admire and love about them. No one is right or wrong.
Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2014 sidsmom said:

Toes....what freaks me out is when I see the tips on toenails! Or a French manicure on the toes...it's like their little fingers or something. Am I the only one that's geezed out with that? =:0

You mean like...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~