Honored Contributor

Re: Are you embracing the current trend of short fingernails?

I don't think short, manicured, painted nails are anything new. I like the look though I tend to use natural shades myself rather than the bright ones. I think one reason the shorter look is popular is that it works well for most people & especially those with busy, active lifestyles.

At one time in past history, the longer the nails, the more prestigious & wealthy the person. They were a sign that one did not have to work & lived a life of leisure with servants waiting on them. These days looking like one sits around all day doing nothing is not the image most people want to project.

Years ago I wanted long nails but could not grow them. When I finally got them to grow (thank you Andrew Lessman Healthy Hair Skin & Nails!) I discovered long nails did not suit my lifestyle. They just got in the way & the upkeep was too time-consuming.

I don't care for very long nails & feel they are dated looking. I keep my nails fingertip length but a bit longer than than that looks good, too. But, at that length, they start clicking on my keyboard at work and it annoys me.

Respected Contributor

I prefer to keep mine short for practical reasons. I have never been into long nails - they simply don't work for my lifestyle. In the past I have admired the look, but I'm happy with mine they way they are.

Honored Contributor

I've never liked long nails. But apparently I am "on trend" because I always keep my nails kind of short, usually just to wear the nail reaches the peak of the finger (close to Just bee's first picture, maybe slightly longer at times). Since using the rosehip seed on them almost every night, I have actually had to trim them more often, which is new for me. But I prefer shorter nails for many reasons.

Super Contributor

Shorter nails have been ""in"" for quite some time.

Honored Contributor

I like short nails. I have artificial nails but they are kept short. However, I have to have some free edge to my nails because I have very small nail beds. I envy people who have long nail beds and so even if they don't have a free edge on their nails, their nails look longer. Mine look like stubs. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the "this" in just bee's post!

As a musician, short nails are always in style! Except I never color my fingernails. Toes, though, are always an understated pink, blush or coral.

Honored Contributor

Toes....what freaks me out is when I see the tips on toenails! Or a French manicure on the toes...it's like their little fingers or something. Am I the only one that's geezed out with that? =:0

Regular Contributor

My finger nails are strong, healthy and grow fast. I enjoyed these many years ago, but I never went for ultra long nails, but classic medium for many years. I started cutting my nails short many, many years ago before the trend occurred. I loved how they felt even though my nails could grow as long in length as I desired. I still cut, file my nails every 2 weeks and get a manicure only several times a year just because I can. A nice treat! Now on the opposite side, I have very fine hair and must work with that! Not always easy. Can't have everything, I guess.
Honored Contributor

On 1/16/2014 sidsmom said:

Toes....what freaks me out is when I see the tips on toenails! Or a French manicure on the toes...it's like their little fingers or something. Am I the only one that's geezed out with that? =:0

It doesn't freak me out but I'm not a fan of the look.
Regular Contributor

On 1/16/2014 willdob3 said:
On 1/16/2014 sidsmom said:

It doesn't freak me out but I'm not a fan of the look.
I have never cared for anything that looks like I am trying too hard to be fake and really not natural enough. I don't care if anyone else loves that look and I appreciate their choices. My style and choices are for me only. On the other hand, one of my sisters loves French manicures and her nails are gorgeous and so is she. Not much that I "hate" , but much that I decide for my personal individuality likes that only works for me, I guess.