Super Contributor

Are we expecting results to soon?

I am one of those people who expect immediate results from various skin care lines. If I dont get them within a week or two, I am on to the next thing. Hence, I have various bottles of different potions and some, I dont even remember buying (!?). While on a website for a skin line, and reading about the products, this website says that noticeable results, from their products, can take 4 to 6 months of consistent use if you are talking about at a cellular level. If you get immediate results, they are most likely temporary. Does anyone else feel that sometimes we are just to impatient and unwilling to stick with products that dont impress us in the short term and maybe we are not giving perfectly good lines the time they need to show results at a cellular level?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are we expecting results to soon?

But doesn't skin renew itself every..28 days? A Dermotologist once said we don't use enough product to make a difference....the cost of the product prohibits us from using as directed, so we skimp & skimp...and get frustrated when we don't see results.

Honored Contributor

yes, most people on these forums hardly give a product a chance before they move on. I truly believe you should wait at least a month to start to see a change.

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are certain ingredients and products that you may not necessarily see any big changes, especially if you already have pretty good skin to begin with, but they are working within your skin by helping to increase collagen production, fighting off free radicals, anti-glycation, etc, all which are important in keeping your skin healthy and supporting it from within which will help prevent more wrinkles from developing or wrinkles from becoming deeper, sagging (or more sagging), hyperpigmentation from developing or worsening, etc. So many women don't "get" this part of skincare and it is too bad because, honestly, supporting the skin to prevent further damage/wrinkles is just as important as trying to correct damage that has already occurred.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/12/2015 sidsmom said:

But doesn't skin renew itself every..28 days? A Dermotologist once said we don't use enough product to make a difference....the cost of the product prohibits us from using as directed, so we skimp & skimp...and get frustrated when we don't see results.

It normally takes 4 weeks but can take up to 75 days depending on age and condition of the skin.

Source:
http://www.dermalinstitute.com/us/library/28_article_Skin_Exfoliation_101.html

Super Contributor

Sidsmom, I think skin does renew itself every 28 days but the treatment needs to take place at, I believe, a deeper level. Then the new skin, over a period of time is improved when it comes to the surface. I am going to pick a good skin care line and stick with it and quit always chasing the "next best thing." I think that alot of good skin care lines that are dismissed as not doing anything are actually not being given the time to do what they say they will do. Just something to consider.

Super Contributor

Yes, I think too many people expect instant gratification. It is also seen in reviews of exercise equipment. Some people use it once or twice and then return it saying it had no effect. I use a whole bottle of something before I make a judgement unless it is irritating.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, some do expect instant results.

I actually saw a review one time for a wrinkle cream from someone who said something like "I just got this cream. I tried it last night and this morning I still had wrinkles, so I am sending it back".

I was like, do some people really expect results in one night? Apparently they do.

For myself, I give any new product at least a month to two months, or even more, before making any judgments at all.

Changing products every few days would wreak havoc on my skin anyway.

Respected Contributor

Yes, many people expect results too soon.

I had tried Lancome Genifique when it first came out. Now, they do say you will see results in like a week. I didn't. But, for some reason, kept using it.

At about the 7th or 8th week, without thinking about it, I looked in the makeup mirror and was astounded by how good my skin looked.

I had heard some dermatologist say it takes 7-8 weeks for complete turnover. Probably depends on age too.

I read reviews on things like NuFace or LightStim (both of which I have) and am puzzled by reviews. They give extended return policies because they TELL YOU it takes several weeks to see results usually. The reviews will say "I used it for 2 weeks, saw nothing, and sent it back." Did you not read the info or hear it presented on television?

Same with skin care products. Even prescription ones. "I got some flaking with Retin-A, so I stopped using it." Duh?

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Respected Contributor

I think the manufacturers think WE want fast results and tell us what we want to hear in hopes we will like the feel, smell, etc to continue to use the products until they DO make a difference. We are talking about non-prescription products.