Honored Contributor

Are there any aesthetician's on the boards?

I have a question....I need to use an. 8x magnified mirror to apply make up, so I see EVERYTHING on my face!!  For quite a while I noticed little bits of skin mainly around the corner of my eyes and toward the eyelid and on my nose...those areas are the most 'flakey' and not attractive.  My skin looks fine on the 'regular'/non magnified side of the mirror

I do exfoliate (Dr Denese pads) 2-4x a week.  I do not think I over do it.  I also use a good moistureizer as well as a serum or argan oil.....do I need to use something else to rid my face of the flakes, or are the flakes just normal and I am seeing them really close up?  Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Are there any aesthetician's on the boards?

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I have a question....I need to use an. 8x magnified mirror to apply make up, so I see EVERYTHING on my face!!  For quite a while I noticed little bits of skin mainly around the corner of my eyes and toward the eyelid and on my nose...those areas are the most 'flakey' and not attractive.  My skin looks fine on the 'regular'/non magnified side of the mirror

I do exfoliate (Dr Denese pads) 2-4x a week.  I do not think I over do it.  I also use a good moistureizer as well as a serum or argan oil.....do I need to use something else to rid my face of the flakes, or are the flakes just normal and I am seeing them really close up?  Any advice appreciated, thanks!

@Mom2Dogs   Using a magnifying mirror to apply makeup or tweeze eyebrows is fine. To examine every pore at that magnification, everyone will find at least "something". If you're using acid peel pads, a serum (not sure if you're referring to Vit. C) & you don't say what type of cleanser you're using, your products may add up to overkill.  For example: I use a gentle cleanser (Cetaphil), Vit. C serum, moisturizer and an SPF in the morning. At night, it's acid pads a few nights a week after cleansing makeup off w/ an oil cleanser. Then Retin A several nights a week alternating w/ moisturizer. Here's my point. In a normal makeup mirror, my skin/pores look great. If I greatly magnify the image, not perfect. Unless these areas are itching you or red and irritated (which a derm should examine), I'd suggest just cutting back on the acid and stronger products, keep them away from nostrils and eye areas where the skin is sensitive and the products can collect & see if the flakes lessen. No one sees us 8X magnified...Thank God. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions. 

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs, if you like the way your skin looks other than the few flakes dont change anything, just wipe a warm moistened microfiber cloth over your face or those areas after you have cleansed a few times a week.

Honored Contributor

@SeaGal wrote:

@Mom2Dogs, if you like the way your skin looks other than the few flakes dont change anything, just wipe a warm moistened microfiber cloth over your face or those areas after you have cleansed a few times a week.

@SeaGal   What if the flaking is from using products that are too strong? Also since they are around her nose and corner of eyes, I think it's a good idea to keep acids, etc. away from those more sensitive areas. Of course, it's her decision. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

She said she has a few flakes but that everything else looks fine.

eta~ I probably should have preferenced my 1st post by saying I am not an aesthetician.

Honored Contributor

@SeaGal wrote:

She said she has a few flakes but that everything else looks fine.

eta~ I probably should have preferenced my 1st post by saying I am not an aesthetician.

@SeaGal  No harm done. I just want to make sure that if the flaking continues even after slowing down on some irritants, the OP gets it checked by a dermatologist. It could be allergies, eczema, or reactions to ingredients in her skincare. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am definitely not an aesthetician either.  I have a 20X magnifying mirror attached to my bathroom wall so you can imagine all the creepy things that I see!   It's a jungle out there! I think you might obsess too much on flakes that don't matter.  Just keep your complexion clean and healthy and don't sweat the small stuff..... or flakes.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@tototwo @Shanus  @SeaGal @

Thanks so much for the replies....after your comments I am now guessing my skin is 'normal'...as in no serious skin issues and the flakes are normal.

I don't use any Retin A, or Vitamin c just Peter Thomas Roth pads a few times a week, cetaphil to clean my face and Dr. Denese hydroshield and her moisturiser, one for day and one for night and on occasion I use argon oil when my face feels parched.

I appreciate the replies!