Frequent Contributor

I use a good cleanser and a non alcohol toner (sometimes to get the rest of my makeup off) and no matter what kind of serum I use it feels tight. I use all non fragrance and good moisturizers... Cerave, Josie Maran, Olay Regenerist, etc. When I stop using the serums my skin feels good. I don't even clean my skin in the morning (I"m retired)...just a splash of warm water and my Cerave sunscreen. My skin is combination.I would like to use a good serum that doesn't dry....thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are serums drying?

[ Edited ]

What serum(s) are you using? @catsgalore5354

When I was using argan oil my skin got very dry and I was confused about that. So then I found out that certain kinds of oils, even some moisturizers, can make your skin shut down it's natural production of oil leading to dry skin.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No. Generally they are hydrating. As I'm sure you know, just avoid ones with plain alcohol or denatured alcohol. Look for hyaluronic acid in the ingredients instead.

And always top with some sort of moisturizer. Most serums are not meant to be worn alone without a moisturizer on top. If you live in a dry area, make sure your moisturizer has good conditioning oils in it, like shea or jojoba.

Also consider switching your cleansing routine to a double cleanse and replacing your toner with a hydrating essence. That will ensure your makeup is removed and it takes away the pointless toner step. (Toner isn't needed anymore because all quality modern cleansers are ph balanced.)

However, if you still don't like how your skin feels when you use serums, go ahead and stop using them. Always go with what makes your skin happy and comfortable.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Frequent Contributor

Right now I am using Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance, No 7 Lift and Derma E (vit C). I trade off now and then. Will be checking into First Aid Beauty as they have one that looks interesting.....  or just back off on the serums for awhile.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another big possible cause of dry skin is the use of harsh cleansers. Maybe try changing that part of your routine first and see how you do. @catsgalore5354

Don't wash with hot water either. Keep it as comfortably cool as possible.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@catsgalore5354 wrote:

Right now I am using Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance, No 7 Lift and Derma E (vit C). I trade off now and then. Will be checking into First Aid Beauty as they have one that looks interesting.....  or just back off on the serums for awhile.

@catsgalore5354 I think it is because these serums are intended to soften the lines and wrinkles, which is probably why you experience tightness.  

I looked up the ingredience. Both Claudalie and the No 7 serums contain fragrance.  Or maybe the fragrance is bothering you.

Or maybe your skin just craves a simpler routine.  Maybe backing off the serums is a good choice for you.

Respected Contributor

You might need to add an oil to your skin that you could mix with your moisturizer. I agree with @SilleeMee who mentioned it might be your cleanser. Make sure that's not the culprit. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Another big possible cause of dry skin is the use of harsh cleansers. Maybe try changing that part of your routine first and see how you do. @catsgalore5354

Don't wash with hot water either. Keep it as comfortably cool as possible.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee....or too much exfoliation (Clarisonic, Retin A, acid peel pads, etc.). My Vit. C serum that I use in the morning can cause dryness or flaking around my nose, corners of mouth or outer corners of eyes. When that occurs, I just back off to every other day and then return to daily application avoiding those areas. My serum is a strong, medical grade.