Respected Contributor

Re: Are You an Ulta Fan or a Sephora Babe?

I've always been a Sephora shopper. I've only visited an Ulta once and was astonished at how much real estate was dedicatd to hair products.  Anyway, for those of you who have never been to a Sephora, my advice is STAY AWAY!  There is so much temptation to buy things you didn't come in looking for.  Expecially the impulse structure (filled with pricey smaller sizes of things) bulit around the checkout line. It is truly like a candy store for adults.  I just shop online in a targeted way only picking up exactly what I need.  If you're a beatuy junkie like me, you can land yourself in hot water during a Sephora trip.  To the tune of well over $100, sometimes.  

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx ours is a mini Sephora.  But, I'm a sucker for all those little bottles.  The only thing that saves me is the moving line.  Ulta has some of that too, but not to the extent that Sephora does.  

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx 

But if I hadn't picked up that little mint green $20 sample size of Tatcha's Water Cream at the counter, I would probably never tried the products, much less own 5 of their products!  It's a curse and a blessing Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

What is a "moving line"?  I had to go to Ulta yesterday due to better access and my knee pain.  But I'll just deal with it from now on.  I missed Sephora!!!

Honored Contributor

I actually like them both, but probably like Sephora better. I only have an Ulta near me, the Sephora is further away and inside a JCP.....I order online from both, but probably a bit more from Sephora!

Pre Covid I shopped at the Ulta near me all the time! It was very neat and clean and sales people very friendly and hlepful! Haven't been in it now in person for about 5 months!   

Honored Contributor

Most of my beauty products are bought at drugstores or discount stores. I’ve shopped at both Sephora & Ulta a few times though. Usually, it’s because I want to try something new that isn’t carried by my usual stores. I received good service at both stores when I shopped in person. I haven’t been inside either store for several months. 

Honored Contributor

@monicakm My Sephora has all thier trial size bottles set up like a maze to get to checkout.  The moving line is the checkout line.  As people progress I feel like I need to move on too so I don't hold up the people behind me.  

Trusted Contributor

Sephora is superior to me it has so many more high-end brands, but I do shop both when needed.

Honored Contributor

If and when I need to go to one of those stores--whatever is closest is the one . We have a new Ulta in my town, so thats where I go .

Honored Contributor

I have never been inside an Ulta store but have ordered on-line.  The nearest Ulta to me just isn't convenient for me to get to and Sephora is in a beautiful outdoor mall that I love to walk around.