Honored Contributor

Re: Are You an Ulta Fan or a Sephora Babe?

@monicakm  - I purchase most of my makeup goodies online, but I have been to Ulta occasionally.  They usually have what I'm looking for.

As far as a matte medium to full coverage product, have you tried the IT one below?  I brought it recently when it was a TSV and I like it.  I also use the regular IT CC Cream (spf 50).  

(I also just placed an order for the Tarte Shape Tape TSV.  Can't wait to try it)

IT Cosmetics Oil-Free Matte CC Cream SPF 40

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal 

Shape Tape..love it if I have enough hydration on my face.  I'm dry and so is the TS but it's good stuff!

No, I've not seen that one!  I sent back (to IT) the regular CC+ cream.  It was just too yellow.  Sephora have the Matte CC+

I purchase most of my makeup and skincare on line too since my knee is keeping me from driving and it's 50 miles one way to get to the city.  Have a MRI tomorrow and I'm SO looking forward to seeing everything in person and if hubs stays in the car, that's even BETTER! Smiley Happy  Last time we did this I walzted out of Sephora $220 poorer and that was with 20% off Smiley Surprised  He never asked me what I bought or how much I spent.  GOOD man! Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

I love Ulta due to both high end and more affordable makeup and skin care.  Their reward system is great.  I save up my points and when you get 2000 points, you get $125 off.  It takes me a while to get to 2000 but I watch for when they have 3X or 5X points on everything which happens every now and then.  I shop at Sephora only when they have something I want that Ulta doesn't carry.

Honored Contributor

I've ordered from Sephora twice.  I don't shop Ulta often, maybe twice a year or so.  

Honored Contributor

I shop exclusively online, mostly from Sephora and QVC.  

Respected Contributor

@monicakm I have never been in a Sephora store.  I live in a small town with about 3000 people and travel  about 30 miles one way to an Ulta.  The Ulta had people lined up to get in when it opened last year.  Our closest Sephora is about 80 miles away and I have not felt compelled to drive that far yet for the experience.

Respected Contributor

I prefer Sephora.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Benefit Gimme Brow is what I've used for years.  It's not real good at filling in holes tho.  I spent so much time in Ulta today, I ran out of time before settling on a brow product. 

My experience in Ulta today was very good Smiley Happy  I had a young man helping me and he seemed to be very knowledgable and willing to stay with me as long as I needed.  Still missed Sephora tho Smiley Sad  I'm going to look into the  Maybelline Brow Precise Fibre Volumizer.  Thanks for the tip!

The Too Faced product is indeed a highlighter

The other palette is by Ofra and is a highlighter, bronzer and blush.  Available at Ulta...

Everyday Cheeks Midi Palette Item 2569834
Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Icegoddess 

Benefit Gimme Brow is what I've used for years.  It's not real good at filling in holes tho.  I spent so much time in Ulta today, I ran out of time before settling on a brow product. 

My experience in Ulta today was very good Smiley Happy  I had a young man helping me and he seemed to be very knowledgable and willing to stay with me as long as I needed.  Still missed Sephora tho Smiley Sad  I'm going to look into the  Maybelline Brow Precise Fibre Volumizer.  Thanks for the tip!

The Too Faced product is indeed a highlighter

The other palette is by Ofra and is a highlighter, bronzer and blush.  Available at Ulta...

Everyday Cheeks Midi Palette Item 2569834

@monicakm the Brow Precise is like the Gimme Brow.  For filling in holes you might look at Maybelline Tattoo Studio Brow Pomade.  That's what I use to fill in and add my tails back in.  It's in a little pot sorta like gel eyeliners come in.  I really liked that they actually had an Auburn shade that wasn't orange.

Regular Contributor

Pre-Covid, I went to Ulta at least once a week.  I like the fact that they always have discount coupons/% off purchase, plus rewards points.  Sephora does not have a great rewards program unless you spend a lot of money, and they mostly just offer sample-size products in exchange for points.  I would rather have Ulta's discounts than Sephora's "goodies."  I have ordered a lot from Ulta during the pandemic and will continue to do so.

As far as browsing goes, I LOVE walking through a Sephora store.  Seeing individual displays for so many different lines is like being a kid in a candy store.  I always felt excited walking into a Sephora store (as well as to a Nordstrom cosmetics counter!).  I don't feel the same excitement walking into Ulta, yet I buy much more there.

I look forward to safer times when shopping inside a store will be fun and exciting again . . .