Valued Contributor

Re: Are You an Ulta Fan or a Sephora Babe?

If the brand I want is at Ulta along with the specific item, I am more likely to go with a Ulta because their points system allows me to rack up a real generous dollar amount. One year I had recked up so much points due to their promotions I had $30 off in no time to apply towards my order and that really helps during the holidays. Sometimes I am forced to go with Sephora because they carry more high end brands but you have to buy a lot more dollar-wise to get the new $10 off that they have started. Also, I have flash shipping with Sephora that allows me to purchase any amount and get 2day shipping, but that now costs me $15 a year, as it used to be $10. But if you buy twice it basically pays for itself. I can't do that at Ulta, right now it's free ship at $35 but normally (pre-Covid) it was $50 much of the time. So, it really depends on what and how much you're buying I'd say. Both have their pros & cons...

Honored Contributor

Ulta has more of the brands I use and their stores are pretty large here. If Ulta would carry Sol de Janiero I would be quite happy.

Now with the pandemic, I've been doing online shopping more frquently rather than go in person for items I am quite familiar with.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone!  There are pros and (some cons) to both stores.  Personally I would much rather shop Sephora.  I just seem to find more things that interest me in that store even tho it's a baby size store compared to a stand-alone store.  I do on-line shopping most of the time but sometimes you just need to SEE a product IRL.  

On my list for tomorrow is to look for a new foundation (med to full coverage, matte...in case anyone has some suggestions).  Cost is not so much an issue.  This Too Face palette and this Ofra blush/highlight/bronzer palette.  I'll need help with a brow product.  They are starting to get thin so I need a product that will help with color AND fake hairs Smiley Wink  Any suggestions on a brow product?

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

Honored Contributor

@monicakm   ULTA always carried the average brands where Sephora had the top line brands.  I actually prefer Nordstrom because I get free shipping and they carry a variety of brands.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Thanks everyone!  There are pros and (some cons) to both stores.  Personally I would much rather shop Sephora.  I just seem to find more things that interest me in that store even tho it's a baby size store compared to a stand-alone store.  I do on-line shopping most of the time but sometimes you just need to SEE a product IRL.  

On my list for tomorrow is to look for a new foundation (med to full coverage, matte...in case anyone has some suggestions).  Cost is not so much an issue.  This Too Face palette and this Ofra blush/highlight/bronzer palette.  I'll need help with a brow product.  They are starting to get thin so I need a product that will help with color AND fake hairs Smiley Wink  Any suggestions on a brow product?

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

@monicakm for brows look at Benefit Gimme Brow. It has fibers in it.  However, I had to have help picking out a color since it is done by numbers unless the website shows colors with the numbers.  A cheaper but also nice alternative is Maybelline Brow Precise Fibre Volumizer.  I'm currently using that since I was already using it before I got the Gimme Brow.  The Gimme Brow has a tiny brush much like a mascara brush.  The brow precise is a one-sided flat brush.  I use Maybelline Tattoo Studio pomade first to fill in, but it may not be necessary.

What is the Too Faced palette?  Highlighers?  Looks interesting.

Respected Contributor

Lately I hate the Sephora by me, in jcpenney.   ALWAYS, out of stock, and only one girl on...help or advice is terrible.  I stopped there today for an eye pencil only because Mac didn't have what I like.  So lately I'm shopping more in Ulta.   Today I was back at Mac in Dillard's returning my eye shadows and got all new ones...the help at Mac is great, they're really good make up artists.  I don't think they are make up artists at my Sephora.   I used to shop at a huge Sephora in Jacksonville  and I loved it there.  Really difficult to shop now, no testers or samples to view, but Dillard's has everything out, just can't try on your face, which I never did anyway  but I need to see and try on my hand sometimes. 

Respected Contributor

I am a huge Ulta fan.....love that store.

Esteemed Contributor

I am a HUGE Ulta fan, but enjoy shopping at Sephora on occasion.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I like both. They have different vibes. I wouldn't go inside either one right now. There's no point since I wouldn't be swatching. I get my beauty stuff online.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I tend to shop in person (pre-pandemic) at Ulta but I shop more online with Sephora...I get free shipping and two day delivery.

However there is a brand new Ulta about to open in my local shopping center soon so I will no longer have to travel half an hour to get to one.