Honored Contributor

Are You an Ulta Fan or a Sephora Babe?

I've always preferred to shop at Sephora even tho my dinky Sephora is inside Pennys.  I just stood in AWE when I visited the Las Vegas Sephora!  

Tomorrow I'll be headed to the city for a MRI of my spine.  If I'm not too woozie from the sedation, I plan on going to Ulta since it's easier to access.  Our Ulta has always had a  reputation for the salesladies being snarky/snooty.  

Which store do you like better and why?  You might convince me to try to hobble into Sephora.

I wish these cosmetic/skincare stores would some hire older women to help with older women's skincare and beauty needs.

Respected Contributor

Re: Are You an Ulta Fan or a Sephora Babe?

I really don't shop much in either.  Pre-Covid, I was likelier to go to Ulta as it was more conveniently located.  

Super Contributor

Don't like either store.

👎

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like shopping at Sephora better than Ulta. I like the choice of products at Sephora, although choices at Ulta are getting better. I do not rely on the help in either store although I find them much more professional at Sephora. I do my own research before trying a product. Sephora's samples (before Covid) were very generous. I like the fact that I have so many points at Sephora I am getting $10 off products. They are quick to make refunds, even when returning by mail.

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely Sephora.  We have both close by so it is not a matter of convenience,  just that Sephora has a better selection IMO.  Now that being said, I do also run into Ulta here and there too.

Honored Contributor

Both my Ulta and Sephora are in the same shopping complex, so convenience isn't really a factor.  There is another, newer Ulta nearby in the other direction, but I wasn't really happy with it when I went in  I had much more trouble finding items there and it just seemed like they didn't carry all the same stuff.  

If my Sephora was a full-sized Sephora instead of a mini store I would probably prefer it.  I was just in a couple of weeks ago to pick up foundation and some Lancome Bi-facil.  Since Ulta did not carry NARs foundation at the time I bought my first bottle and since they helped me with the color matching, I go back there any time I need foundation even if Ulta now carries it.  But, that is not that often at the rate I use foundation once a week.  And I don't use near as much as I see anybody demo'ing foundations using.

But, I like Ulta equally well.  They have more of the hair products that I use.  I like having the option for low-end cosmetics too.  I'm a sucker for all the trial size bottles in both stores even though I know they're more expensive per oz than full-sized.  I bought a travel-sized Hourglass finishing powder and as far as I'm concerned that's better for my makeup wearing habits than a full size would be.  

Most times I would just as soon the staff just leave me alone to do my browsing and I guess I prefer Ulta for that.  I don't feel like I'm being watched.  If the Sephora is busy, then all the better.  I don't have to worry about picking something up to look at it closer, or look at the ingredients and feel like someone is going to come over and "help" me.  

Respected Contributor

I shop in neither because I probably have enough make up to use until death. 

I think they are very fun for younger girls, however, and those true make-up fans who can never get enough.  I do not find anybody snooty there, just full of youthful impatience.

Here and there I may pick up a new perfume or lipstick at a department store make-up counter, which I find more relaxing, private and with better service.

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely Ulta. The shopping experience is superior. Sephora is loud, crowded, dark, has loud bad music, and has unhelpful staff. Ulta is pretty much the opposite of that and, therfore, far better than Sephora.

Honored Contributor

BIGALOTZ  suits me

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Ulta, their their rewards program has allowed me to purchase some very high end hair tools!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield