Honored Contributor

Re: Are You A Rinse And Repeat Girl

Back in the day, I realized shampoo would last longer if I diluted it by 35-50%, depending on how concentrated it was ....  the shampoo works into the hair much easier, as well.

These days, I dilute my WEN by about 50% and get the same results.

Honored Contributor

No and I never have. I would use shampoo on  my scalp only and let the rest drip down to the ends (I have long hair) unless I was doing a coconut deep condition and then I'd add a dab for the ends too to make sure I got it all out. I've never bought into the rinse and repeat mantra that use to be on most shampoo bottles and still is on many although now I think it says "if desired" for the repeat part.

Honored Contributor

I don't always but usually do especially in the summer and when I do a conditioning treatment.  Now that I'm using Tweak'd there seems to be no need to as you put it on dry hair for 5-10 min then wet it and rake through and add more and then cleanse.  So far I'm impressed with the results. Hair products are one thing I will never skimp on because if my hair isn't clean or is flyaway or strawlike or too greasy looking, why go cheaper if you don't like the look.  I know many who can throw anything on their hair and it is always manageable but I'm not one of them!

Esteemed Contributor

I have been a wash, rinse and repeat girl my whole life. Way before I started using WEN a few years ago. This was just how I was brought up to wash my hair. Even when I go to my hairstylist they always wash, rinse, and repeat as well so i do not believe it to be odd.

Super Contributor

I have been using WEN for the past year religiously.  I always wash, rinse and repeat.  When you use a cleansing conditioner, the first wash is to cleanse the hair and scalp.  The second cleanse is to condition the hair.  I leave the second cleanse in for the duration of my shower.  I always leave the shower with clean tangle free hair that smells amazing.   With WEN you use alot of pumps also but it is truly worth it for the results you get. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm with you @icezeus, I have never had my hair done without a cleansing to get rid of dirt and products , a repeat to make sure the hair is clean then a conditioner to ease detangling.  Mother, every beautician I've ever visited , shampoo, repeat, treat, condition.  It seems slovenly to skip a proper cleansing.  Even the washing machine does a repeat automatically.  You can see , feel the difference a second cleansing makes.  

. How many times has Chaz emphasized the importance of a repeat ?  When using WEN my hair requires many times the recommended amount for each step. The fabulous Redkin All Soft traditional shampoo I swear by instructs the same process.  Why skimp ?  Why cheat yourself of the given benefits of the product you've chosen ? That is what I don't understand.  Why short change yourself ?

Contributor

The only time I wash twice is if I have been ill and not washed on my regular schedule, or, if I have done an oil treatment to my scalp the night before.

I have lupus and have had hair loss problems, so once a week or so I part my hair and use a combo of 2-3 oils and rub a tiny amount into my scalp, part again and repeat throughout my hair. 

The next day I wash the first time with a biotin shampoo I found and add some baking soda, which is great to cleanse the hair and it keeps it quite soft as well. The second shampoo is a small amount of  just the biotin shampoo. I cannot take any b-vitamins orally, so I found a shampoo that has biotin as the second ingredient after water, which, essentially, makes it the first ingredient as 95 per cent of any shampoos, conditioners and lotions have water as the first ingredient.

Which is why I like to buy the pure oils to use on my scalp. Emu oil has been particularly great and can be used on hair, face, body---need so little and it has done wonders for my skin and especially cuticles.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JBSH wrote:

The only time I wash twice is if I have been ill and not washed on my regular schedule, or, if I have done an oil treatment to my scalp the night before.

I have lupus and have had hair loss problems, so once a week or so I part my hair and use a combo of 2-3 oils and rub a tiny amount into my scalp, part again and repeat throughout my hair. 

The next day I wash the first time with a biotin shampoo I found and add some baking soda, which is great to cleanse the hair and it keeps it quite soft as well. The second shampoo is a small amount of  just the biotin shampoo. I cannot take any b-vitamins orally, so I found a shampoo that has biotin as the second ingredient after water, which, essentially, makes it the first ingredient as 95 per cent of any shampoos, conditioners and lotions have water as the first ingredient.

Which is why I like to buy the pure oils to use on my scalp. Emu oil has been particularly great and can be used on hair, face, body---need so little and it has done wonders for my skin and especially cuticles.

Rosemary oil is stimulating and super-healthy for your hair and scalp, especially for new hair growth.

You can massage it in or just add a few drops to your shampoo.

Super Contributor

8 pumps may seem like a lot but it depends on the actual amount dispensed.  I use Wen and use fewer pumps when I pump from a 32 oz bottle than from smaller bottle.  As someone pointed out, the amount needed varies based on hair length, etc.

Respected Contributor

I was always a shampoo x1 girl then my stylist gave me some advice. She said if you don't shampoo everyday (as we should not do) and use a lot of products, then you should shampoo twice. So I do use a texturizing paste and hairspray so now I do shampoo everyday. Most days I shampoo only every other day. Now that the cooler weather is coming, I may even be able to stretch it sometimes to 3 days. It also depends how much I sweat when I workout.