Honored Contributor

Re: Are Professional Salon Hair Care Products Superior to Drug Store?

We can't get outside of our bodies and look objectively at the condition of our hair.  I have been told by several stylists that products which ended uo on store shelves were reformulated and could cause damage, Pantene being the example by one hairdresser.

A bottle of shampoo and a conditioner lasts a long time.  I'm not cutting corners and possible hair damage being the result.

Honored Contributor

I've used both, it's a mixed bag.  If the salon pushes it, I ask for a sample.  If it works great, I go back and buy.  I look for the features of the product.  A great smell always helps.

Respected Contributor

I'm looking for a good shampoo for my hair that is short, fine/thin and permed.  Any suggestions? 

Honored Contributor

I find that Professional Salon Hair Care products are better for my hair. I have light blonde hair that can change color and become damaged unless I baby it. I need sulfate free hair care specifically made for color treated hair. It keeps my hair soft and shiny and the color stays consistent until I do my roots every 4 weeks. My haircolor never changes now and it consistently looks nice.

I did try Pantene but it seemed drying and my color started to change when I experimented with it. Any and all other products I tried from the drugstore have been problematic.

Esteemed Contributor

Not in my case.  I  just make sure I rotate what I use.  I buy from box stores, drug stores, dollar stores, whatever is on sale. I see no difference.  But then I only use shampoo, hairspray and some sort of mousse.  

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

I prefer salon shampoo and conditioner, but I don’t notice a huge difference in hairspray. When Ulta has a sale, salon products are much more expensive than drugstore brands.
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

We can't get outside of our bodies and look objectively at the condition of our hair.  I have been told by several stylists that products which ended uo on store shelves were reformulated and could cause damage, Pantene being the example by one hairdresser.

A bottle of shampoo and a conditioner lasts a long time.  I'm not cutting corners and possible hair damage being the result.

Sadly Pantene is not what it used to be when it was exclusive, I still miss it.

It had a very faint almond scent, loved that stuff!

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

Sadly Pantene is not what it used to be when it was exclusive, I still miss it.

It had a very faint almond scent, loved that stuff!

@software Actually, I don't use Pantone.  I now go to an Aveda shop and LOVE their products. My hair (and I have quite a bit), has no breakage.

I don't find Aveda more expensive than Redken which I bought at the other shop.

I use ISO Daily Shape hair spray which brushes out!  No helmet hair or buildup!  I got it from my former stylist and now buy online.

Image result for iso soft hairspray

Honored Contributor

i don't think so,   I actually like the Suave in the gold bottles

but right now using some chi argan stuff

and sulfate free  stuff is terrible