Trusted Contributor

Are Professional Salon Hair Care Products Superior to Drug Store?

[ Edited ]

I go back and forth with this question all of the time.  My stylist tells me to use only professional salon shampoo, conditioner and styling products. I've purchased many and never have found a brand I knew was the one.  I have spent $$$ on some and they left my hair looking terrible.

I read on blogs, forums and in magazines about "great" shampoos that I've seen on the shelves in Target, Walgreens and CVS. 

I have dry, coarse hair and always buy sulfate-free products. Beyond that, does it really matter where they come from?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are Professional Salon Hair Care Products Superior to Drug Store?

There is a huge markup in salon hair care products, so I think that's the main reason the pros want you to buy them. That being said, I think they are superior to drug store brands. Have you tried WEN, maybe that line can help with your coarse, dry hair.

Honored Contributor

I go back and forth I have Oribe products and Pantene's new Rosewater sulfate free shampoo that works amazing.

It is not all in what you pay, it is how your hair reacts

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

There was a lady who, recently on the Beauty Forum, discussed her gray  hair situation and she was using high end products in conjunction with some Suave (very low end) for great results.  I think it is what works best for you, regardless of price.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it depends on your budget and your hair.

Eons ago I used Tresemme and loved it, it stopped working for my hair.

Used Paul Mitchell for a couple of years and it started drying out my hair.

I tried a salon brand and ended up tossing it.

THEN I tried Suave about 10 years ago and have been with that ever since. Have used different forumlations and when one stops working (depends on my age and hair texture) I switch.

I really love Suave.

Honored Contributor

For me, the answer is no. One time I took the advice of a hairdresser to buy a shampoo/conditioner set that she said would improve the condition of my hair. It was expensive and the worst stuff I ever used.

Honored Contributor

@Quinny  I can tell you one shampoo that you can buy around $10 at their website or $8 & change at iherb.com.  Acure Mega Moisture shampoo delivers instant moisture with argan oil and pumpkin and you would probably benefit from the conditioner too.  Acure has excellent products and this shampoo is my favorite.  At iherb if you spend $20 shpg. is free.  All their products are cruelty free, sulfate free, paraben, and whatever free.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

No!! My hair dresser of 30 years told me a long time ago to save my money.

Valued Contributor

@Quinny I, too, have dry, course and wavy hair.  Here has what has helped me to have healthy, long hair.  I NEVER, EVER USE a hair dryer on my hair.  EVER.  I use moisture based shampoos (moroccan oil, etc.) then I use a leave-in conditioner then finish my damp hair with hair oil.  Once weekly, I do the same shampoo but use a moisture based hair masque for the required time with a plastic cap over it.  Rinse out.  Apply the hair oil.  And my hair is soft, healthy and manageable. 

We have the same kind of hair...try it.  It should work.

Honored Contributor

There was a time when it was true, that salon products were better, but not anymore.

Many years ago you could only buy Pantene at a salon.    It was my favorite

You might find 1 or 2 specialty products that are better, sold only in salons

I love a good leave in conditioner, 20 years ago it was hard to find anywhere but at a salon..

There are just too many choices today.

I often use Sally Beauty for specialty products, good prices