Respected Contributor

Re: Are Perms Back in Style?

I wouldn't worry if they are in style or not. If you want one, get one.

Respected Contributor

OK .. I have a mullty tierd answer ..... have to have something in my

hair for body .. it is straight and very flat .... used to color ... mainly

highlights ... got very pricey ... almost 200 dollars ... let hair grow

out ... its an ashy grey color ... love it .. do not want to color .. but

still need the body ....

In the midst of considering what to do .. along comes the pandemic ...

no hair cut ..... now its shoulder length ... still no body .. its a hot

mess .....

Yes ... I am considering a perm .... I have a gal close by a trust ...

if she is doing them ....my hair has always been a pain .. and I

hate to do it .. hate a dryer ... and really need wash and wear ...

so I think its a perm and up in a pony ......

Respected Contributor

I had one at an Aveda salon a few years ago.  The stylist did not give me the uber curly one I wanted and it didn't take. I was told by my new stylist that my hair is fine and that's why. He won't give me a perm.  But he does cut my hair the way I want it. That's an accomlpishment in itself. LOL

Honored Contributor

@coco14 wrote:

@Sooner

I suggest you look up the definition for the word Horrible - I stand by my statement - COVID 19 is horrible - not perms, regardless of what you think.

Thankfully, we have choices in this country - to get or not to get a perm.

To like, or not to like, perms - but horrible?  I think not.

@coco14 Yes.  I think perms are horrible.  My right to say that and YOU related it to COVID NOT ME!  You are 100 percent off base with this attack on me and what I said. 

I NEVER related it to COVID.  

Honored Contributor

Hopefully, perms have drastically improved.  One thing perms do -- DRY OUT  YOUR HAIR!  I never had a perm that wasn't frizzy.  I would never have one now unless they actually have one that only adds body and wave.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819  I too loved the curly perm look back in the 80's and wore them frequently.  I had my hair layered and curls galore.  If I wanted a perm, I would get one.  You only live once and life is short, so make yourself happy.

Trusted Contributor

omg i love my perms.. love curls. i get a perm every 4 - 5 months.. my hairdresser does quite a few depending. she said they're not as popular as the 80's - 90's... but spme people still get them.. i will always get them.. been getting for at least 15 yrs.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Hopefully, perms have drastically improved.  One thing perms do -- DRY OUT  YOUR HAIR!  I never had a perm that wasn't frizzy.  I would never have one now unless they actually have one that only adds body and wave.

@Katcat1   Even for body and wave, wouldn't it use the same solution? Wow, that stuff smelled bad. I used to go with my Mom when I was little & she got perms. The entire salon smelled like eggs. It's always funny to me how everyone always wants the opposite of what they have naturally. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Katcat1   Even for body and wave, wouldn't it use the same solution? Wow, that stuff smelled bad. I used to go with my Mom when I was little & she got perms. The entire salon smelled like eggs. It's always funny to me how everyone always wants the opposite of what they have naturally. 

Believe me ... no one would want what I have naturally ... but I know what

your saying ....and I agree ....

Esteemed Contributor

My stylist said perms are much better now. I have a mid-length bob with layers and asked her about perm. My hair used to be so thick and wavy. Now it's less so and straight. She said a lot of people get perms when they no longer have color on their hair - could be a plan in the future.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau