Honored Contributor

Re: Are Perms Back in Style?

No right or wrong answer. Personal preference, everybody's hair is different and not all perms are the same. 

Honored Contributor

Perms never went out of style for me.  I get one once or twice a year.  She uses the largest rods that my hair will handle and therefore, as it grows out, it's not even noticeable.  Most people actually think I have curly hair.  And for me, nothing is MORE low maintenance than a perm.  I can let it mostly air dry and then use a diffuser on it.  A little product and I'm good to go.  No round brush and blow dryer, no flat iron, no curling iron.  I'm way past spending a lot of time on my hair. 

Honored Contributor

Got one last week, my hair drives me nuts when it's straight.

Respected Contributor

(I do not think so, not from what I see around this area anyhow...)

But, do what you want and what makes you happy with your own hair!!

I think - your hair, your choice, no one else's business.....

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I have been getting perms for 30 years for wash and go hair with not having to heat style daily!   Saves time and actually protects hair from daily heat damage!  Not the same as they used to be and formulas are not damaging as they once were.  I don't care if no one else ever gets one.

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

The style is natural hair.  Maybe that is why you are seeing so many curls and full body styles.  The trend is towards for products are clean, gentle and stylers  that hold your natural shape and give volume. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819   Well, let me say this about that .......

Like you, I had perms all through the 80's.  Of course, everyone did.  I loved the look.  My natural hair is poker straight and past my shoulders in length.  About 8 years ago, just for s***s and giggles, I thought I'd get one.  I was tired of the straight hair look and thought it would be fun.  Ugh.  It wasn't.  I felt very dated and weird having that curly hair again.  I couldn't wait for it to grow out!  

If you decide to do it, I hope you are happier than I was.

Respected Contributor

Mine is naturally curly and I wear it natural. So some of the comments are a bit harsh 🤨 I don't think perms ever went out of style. I think more it's the type of perm that may go in and out. My hairdresser does perms she has had some places she rented be really rude about the smell. Some people can just be inconsiderate. Now my hairdresser has her own little shop. 

Valued Contributor

@Sooner

I suggest you look up the definition for the word Horrible - I stand by my statement - COVID 19 is horrible - not perms, regardless of what you think.

Thankfully, we have choices in this country - to get or not to get a perm.

To like, or not to like, perms - but horrible?  I think not.

Super Contributor

I get one twice a year. I hate my hair straight. But i let it air dry. No hair dryer