Respected Contributor

Are La Mer skin care products worth it?

I recently bought La Mer The Soft Cream and The Tonic. I got them through Zulilly and paid over 3 months. I think it was $250 for both items. I really liked the product, especially the moisturizer, but I'm balking at the price as I need to replenish.Is this line worth the investment? Anyone use it long term?
Honored Contributor

Re: Are La Mer skin care products worth it?

Not worth anything to me, I find it to be glorified mineral oil. I did try the oil free version, nothing special. 

Esteemed Contributor

If I was going to spent $180 an ounce, I for sure would not waste it on something which had these first 3 ingredients:

”Elixir” of sea weed - hand harvested at that

A cone - with an exotic name

and last, but not least

Vaseline

Trusted Contributor

I don't think it's worth it because it doesn't permanently remove wrinkles or lift saggy skin.

Valued Contributor

@bathina  

Hi over the years I tried samples of them but I have oily acne prone skin so they were a no for me . I am a fan of the dermatologist Dr Dray . She has a YouTube channel .She has a full review of the whole line and breakdown ingredients It was very informative. 

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried for the longest time to get something from that line to work for me and nothing did. In fact, I found it more greasy and irritating than anything else. Actually the serums felt great but no way was I paying the prices they were asking for the full size.

Once I made the "mistake" of trying some things from the La Prairie Caviar line and it was absolutely fantastic. Their prices, however, are insane. It just wasn't a sustainable choice. 

Having said all of that, only you will know if it is worth it for you to continue with La Mer.

Valued Contributor

I second Dr. Dray, on YouTube.  She is a young dermatologist and has many many videos on on kinds of skin questions.  You can watch her evaluation of La Mer.  Basically, no, it is not worth it, based on medical evaluation of the product.   It has the "elixer" which is basically a seaweed concoction that many moisturizers have now.  It also has fragrance, which is a no no. 

Honored Contributor

@bathinaI have no idea because I've never tried it, but I have used expensive products and I feel only the user knows if it's worth what we paid.

One of the best thoughts about expensive skincare I ever heard from a dermatologist:   "There's no magic in the expensive products, but if you feel there is and then use it daily because you paid so much for it, then it's worth it."

I've been using expensive for a long time now and just today as I walked my neighborhood, I said hello to a man weeding along his curbside.  Ended up in a long conversation during which, among other things he seemed totally shocked when I told him I would turn 78 this week.  He'd been sure I was younger than he (71).  

Just when I'd decided time had come to spend less on my face, but if I do, I'm taking that derm's advice -  whatever you buy -  use it consistently.  Only way to know!

Super Contributor

I rarely use it. But when I have a cold and have blown my nose so much that the skin on my outer  nostrils is red and raw, Cream de la Mer Moisturizing Cream is the one thing that soothes the raw, inflamed skin and takes away the redness.

Respected Contributor

Thank you ladies! All good advice. I will check out the Dr. Dray videos. From what I understand, the elixir or "broth" is an ingredient that was first used on burn patients. I find the cream very soothing to my dry skin. Thanks again. Off to check out Dr. Dray.