Honored Contributor

Re: Applying Makeup. One Hand or Two?

KarenK, I couldn't imagine swirling and blending my eyeshadow or putting on false lashes on the left side if all I use was my right hand.
It would be like trying to rub my stomach and pat my head and chew gum at the same time lol
Honored Contributor

Pure n simple,
Well like I said every single beauty YouTuber I watch, which is a lot, use their dominant hand for everything. I've been meaning to ask this question for months.
Honored Contributor

I have to hold a high-power mirror in one hand....

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@monicakm wrote:
I've been trying to think of what else I do with my left hand. Vacuum is all I can come up with.
What's the reference to Laura Geller?

@monicakm   Laura's the only QVC vendor that poses kinda unusual beauty questions like "do you apply your makeup standing up or sitting down."  Your question just reminded me of that.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:
KarenK, I couldn't imagine swirling and blending my eyeshadow or putting on false lashes on the left side if all I use was my right hand.
It would be like trying to rub my stomach and pat my head and chew gum at the same time lol

@monicakm   On a daily basis, I only use a light shade of shadow and swipe a bit of my bronzer or blush across the crease, so very little blending needed. False lashes? Never use them.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

ok

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I use one hand only. My other hand barely works.

LOL  I was just going to say my left hand (I'm right-handed) is pretty useless when it comes to applying makeup.

Valued Contributor

I can use my left hand as an assist but use my dominant (right) hand for all application.  There are some techniques that are better on my left eye than my right.  The outer portion of my left eye is easier than the outer portion of my right eye yet the inner portion of the left eye is not as easy as the inner portion of the right eye, and I do think it has to do with the different angles being used to create the same look on each side. 

The first time  I ever saw someone switch hands was Lisa Robertson doing her liner on QVC, I was stunned.  I called my best friend and asked her if she ever had done that and she said sometimes.  What?  I've actually seen many people doing their makeup and hadn't ever seen anyone switch hands.

libby's folly
Esteemed Contributor

Well, @monicakm , you're ambidextrous and my hat goes off to you!  All makeup is applied with my right (dominant) hand.  The only things I do with my left hand are typing and applying nail polish to my right hand. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@persiflage 

I tried NOT changing hands last Sunday when putting my eyeshadow on. Wasn't happening Smiley Surprised