Honored Contributor

Re: Apple Cider Rinse for Hair

@Desertdi wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Apple cider vinegar is so smelly!.... I can't imagine putting it on my hair no Matter how good it might be. That stuff is foul!

@Goldengate8361    And, if you live in a humid climate, you end up smelling like a SALAD........

@Desertdi LOL! (and probably true!)😄

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 

You may smell like an Easter Egg while using it but from what I've read, the odor goes away as soon as you rinse it out and definitely when your hair is dry.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

I also have the "soap" gene when it comes to cilantro.  It seems if you don't have the "soap gene"  you like it.  YUCK

Honored Contributor

@monicakm,

It's weird isn't it? But interesting for sure!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

An apple cider vinegar rinse should make your shinier.  However it's not the same a using a clarifying shampoo, it's not strong enough to remove silicone buildup.  And while they say it won't strip color treated hair, I'm personally not 100% sure of that.

Honored Contributor

@candyagain    I also hate the taste and smell of cilantro.. it smells like cat pee to me.  It is a genetic thing.. when I did my DNA test for genetics it said that I most likely would not like cilantro.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf wrote:

An apple cider vinegar rinse should make your shinier.  However it's not the same a using a clarifying shampoo, it's not strong enough to remove silicone buildup.  And while they say it won't strip color treated hair, I'm personally not 100% sure of that.

@decaf   The "Curly Hair Community" swears by it to remove silicones before beginning the CGM and if you use any "wrong" products while trying to let your hair go to its natural curly state.

I personally used Neutrogena Clarifying shampoo. It smells great, to me. It's easier to use, too. When I did it  years ago, my hair was shiny and manageable just as they described the vinegar would be. Even with my short hair now, that I don't wear curly, I use Neurogena to clarify once a month. 

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I found this short article interesting regarding an apple cider rinse.

• Science supports the use of apple cider vinegar as a hair rinse. It could help strengthen hair and improve luster by lowering hair and scalp pH. It may also keep pesky scalp infections and itchiness at bay. However, it shouldn’t be relied on to reduce inflammation or solve diseases or issues of the scalp, like dandruff .

It also has vitamins in it so next time you reach for the creamy conditioner toss it aside and grab that apple cider vinegar and mix with water.  I actually used it today and it is helping.  I sometimes have an itchy scalp (not dandruff) but probably somewhat dry or buildup so I am going to rinse with apple cider vinegar and water for a few weeks and then every 2 weeks or so.

The only vitamins that will improve your hair are those you take by mouth.  Putting vitamins on your hair is too late. It would be like putting vitamins on your nails.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@candyagain    I also hate the taste and smell of cilantro.. it smells like cat pee to me.  It is a genetic thing.. when I did my DNA test for genetics it said that I most likely would not like cilantro.

@SeaMaiden  I have never heard of the cilantro gene.  I just learned something new from you (again Woman Wink).  I hate cilantro (must have the gene, too).  Do you like the smell of patchoulli? (hate) Do you like basil? (a little goes a long way) One last question:  can you smell skunk? (never have)  I wonder if these are tied to a gene.....? LOL

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't like cilantro either. Also oregano, basil, marjoram and parsley....no.