Respected Contributor

Re: Apparently you cannot talk about irresponsible comments, POOF

On 4/9/2015 LipstickDiva said:

IMO it doesn't matter if you would take advice from a shopping channel host or not. To me that's not the point. She wasn't really giving any advice. Had she said it was okay for you to take 1 week and worship the sun, that would be advice. She was giving you her own experience, not telling others what to do. It's her business.

Does anyone remember Morgan Shick and her cosmetics on HSN? She used to sell a cream that had no SPF in it at all and she would stand there and tell viewers that with that cream, you didn't need an SPF, you could put it on and go out in the sun all day long, that's what she did and never burned, etc. This was before social media but back when the HSN boards were quite active and the boards lit up over her comments. She was gone not too long after that.

That to me was irresponsible because she was giving outright false information that could have gotten HSN in a lot of trouble. She was making false claims about products and you can't do that.

TY

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

On 4/9/2015 Karnerblue said:
On 4/8/2015 CrystalBlue1 said:
On 4/8/2015 Crisso said: Why not start a post about the subject, minus the host comments? I did not see the post.

a host last night made a comment she is a melanoma survivor and allows herself one vacation per year to worship the sun and the rest of the time it is self tanners. I thought that was an irresponsible comment. I am not host bashing just calling out someone making such an irresponsible comment to millions of viewers who might believe that is acceptable.

I can't imagine why a viewer would take a comment like that and take it as acceptable advice. A viewer should clearly come away with the idea that a medical expert would be the best person to consult about such a condition.

I honestly think the thread was directed at slapping down the host.

Yes, your post is logical but have you read the forums much? Why do posters on these forums ask ANONYMOUS STRANGERS for medical advice? It baffles the mind, really, but they do all the time. Many will even forgo their own doctors' advice for that of an anonymous poster's. It is very, very scary but certainly does happen. Just take a look around here....

Esteemed Contributor

Well, Citrine....I guess not...I like the host who made the statement as said but I had a skin cancer not as bad a melanoma but a step away and I was a sun worshiper, love the Caribbean and I changed my feelings about that part of my lifestyle....I have friends that had melanoma and they would never go bake in the sun for a cosmetic purpose, a sun tan...so either you Lack understanding or it was as you stated. And as Iluvacop stated, it just wasn't necessary to sell the product.
Honored Contributor

On 4/9/2015 patheticcosmetics said:
On 4/8/2015 SandyLouWho said:
On 4/8/2015 suzyQ3 said:

But a few months back, I heard this one, while presenting some anti-theft wallet, say something to the effect of how, yes, and in Europe, you really have to look out for Gypsies.

Now, either she is ignorant of the fact that she slurred an ethnic group, or she doesn't care. Can you imagine if she had said some other ethnic, racial, or religious group? No matter...it was totally inappropriate.

Have you been to Rome? Tourism is their number one industry, and theft is the second. It is sad, but the host is exactly correct. You would likely not believe what I saw in just a few hours waiting in line to get into The Vatican. The thieves set up distractions of many kinds, and then wait for a tired tourist to be less vigilant than they were warned by the tour agents to be. The thieves are exactly who she said they were ~ sad but true.

Inappropriate? Not in my opinion. I wish I'd been warned about this very issue before I got on the tour bus so that I could have been better prepared with just such an anti-theft wallet before arriving in the midst of the best con artists on the planet. I understand your shock and dismay; if I had not seen these things if for myself, I wouldn't have believed it, either.

The truth isn't always pretty, nor appreciated. That doesn't make it untrue, just a hard fact about life.

My sons & I got the same warning, same wording, with very explicit instructions on what to look for & not to be alone if possible while we on a tour of northern Italy. In Florence & particularly Venice we were warned again before we got off the tour bus to be vigilant, especially at night. Quite a few of us were approached, each time with different tactics, but we were prepared. Calling it a racial slur doesn't change the facts of life or lessen its' effects. The tour bus driver didn't pull any punches about who we had to be wary of. Some also follow the tour bus routes. We saw the same group in the same places we were touring & we were approached again. It is what it is.

My husband and I traveled in Italy, including Rome. I am not ignorant of the dangers. But the only close call we had was on the train, and it was not Gypsies, but local hoodlums, who faked a fight to distract everybody so that one of them could try to grab my husband's wallet. The Gypsies I recall were beggars.

No one is denying that the there are some in the group who may be thieves. And the bus driver was probably giving good advice about a subset of a group that is known for some petty criminal activities targeting tourists.

But my original post on this topic was about a shopping host who denigrated the whole group. Again, substitute another racial or ethnic or religious group and ask yourself would it be acceptable for a shopping channel host to mention the name of that group in such a derogatory way?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 4/9/2015 HappyDaze said:
On 4/9/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 4/9/2015 patheticcosmetics said:
On 4/8/2015 SandyLouWho said:
On 4/8/2015 suzyQ3 said:

But a few months back, I heard this one, while presenting some anti-theft wallet, say something to the effect of how, yes, and in Europe, you really have to look out for Gypsies.

Now, either she is ignorant of the fact that she slurred an ethnic group, or she doesn't care. Can you imagine if she had said some other ethnic, racial, or religious group? No matter...it was totally inappropriate.

Have you been to Rome? Tourism is their number one industry, and theft is the second. It is sad, but the host is exactly correct. You would likely not believe what I saw in just a few hours waiting in line to get into The Vatican. The thieves set up distractions of many kinds, and then wait for a tired tourist to be less vigilant than they were warned by the tour agents to be. The thieves are exactly who she said they were ~ sad but true.

Inappropriate? Not in my opinion. I wish I'd been warned about this very issue before I got on the tour bus so that I could have been better prepared with just such an anti-theft wallet before arriving in the midst of the best con artists on the planet. I understand your shock and dismay; if I had not seen these things if for myself, I wouldn't have believed it, either.

The truth isn't always pretty, nor appreciated. That doesn't make it untrue, just a hard fact about life.

My sons & I got the same warning, same wording, with very explicit instructions on what to look for & not to be alone if possible while we on a tour of northern Italy. In Florence & particularly Venice we were warned again before we got off the tour bus to be vigilant, especially at night. Quite a few of us were approached, each time with different tactics, but we were prepared. Calling it a racial slur doesn't change the facts of life or lessen its' effects. The tour bus driver didn't pull any punches about who we had to be wary of. Some also follow the tour bus routes. We saw the same group in the same places we were touring & we were approached again. It is what it is.

My husband and I traveled in Italy, including Rome. I am not ignorant of the dangers. But the only close call we had was on the train, and it was not Gypsies, but local hoodlums, who faked a fight to distract everybody so that one of them could try to grab my husband's wallet. The Gypsies I recall were beggars.

No one is denying that the there are some in the group who may be thieves. And the bus driver was probably giving good advice about a subset of a group that is known for some petty criminal activities targeting tourists.

But my original post on this topic was about a shopping host who denigrated the whole group. Again, substitute another racial or ethnic or religious group and ask yourself would it be acceptable for a shopping channel host to mention the name of that group in such a derogatory way?

For your poor noggin':

Image result for emoticon with an icepack on his head

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Hahahaha....thankfully, it's as hard as the wall on which I keep banging it. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 K9buddy said: Who cares who's monitoring the moderators? Do you think when you find out who monitors them that suddenly they are going to hire new monitors to make sure the boards are being monitored to your satisfaction? It amazes me how seriously some people take these forums. Really ridiculous waste of time,

True. People smoke, people drink and some worship the sun. Those might all be stupid things to do, but it is all perfectly legal.

Honored Contributor

On 4/9/2015 AuntG said:
On 4/8/2015 K9buddy said: Who cares who's monitoring the moderators? Do you think when you find out who monitors them that suddenly they are going to hire new monitors to make sure the boards are being monitored to your satisfaction? It amazes me how seriously some people take these forums. Really ridiculous waste of time,

True. People smoke, people drink and some worship the sun. Those might all be stupid things to do, but it is all perfectly legal.

I really don't think anyone is questioning the legality of tanning.

Super Contributor

On 4/9/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 4/9/2015 AuntG said:

Same person?

Valued Contributor

Skin cancer is not something to be taken lightly and her comment was irresponsible. The last beach vacation I took was in 1991. My legs had not been exposed to sun since then as I always wore slacks, jeans or long dresses from that point on. Imagine my surprise when I was diagnosed with skin cancer of the leg in 2012. I spent 12 days in the hospital and have a very large scar as a daily reminder. My doctor said that this type of cancer can lie dormant for years and then suddenly become a problem. A tan of any kind is not worth the possible consequences. So, yes, someone hearing that comment could think " well, I quess it is okay once in a while to get a tan".

Honored Contributor

On 4/9/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 4/9/2015 AuntG said:

Sorry I didn't make my point more clear. Of course we aren't debating if tanning is legal because anyone with a brain knows it is. My point was that there are some things we just can't regulate so it becomes an individual decision.