Honored Contributor

Re: Apparently you cannot talk about irresponsible comments, POOF

On 4/9/2015 violann said: In reference to the Roma people, the term "gypsy" is, in fact considered derogatory. I'm sure we are all aware of the fact that this popularion was part of Hitler's lists. Perhaps it is because of the numerous televised programs about the lifestyle that we feel more comfortable referring to "them" as "gypsies" than is probably a good idea. Any language that implies "them/us" thinking is probably a mistake anyway, as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you, violann. I feel as if I was just banging my head against a wall trying to make my point. Yes, they are the Roma people, and they have been mercilessly persecuted for centuries.

I was fortunate to be able to take a course in college from a famous professor in the field of Gypsie (yes, that was the title, at least back then) Folklore. Their history and culture were fascinating.

Because some Romas prey on tourists does not give anyone the right to slam a whole group. We certainly wouldn't appreciate doing the same with regard to other ethnic, racial, or religious groups.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 4/8/2015 SandyLouWho said:
On 4/8/2015 suzyQ3 said:

But a few months back, I heard this one, while presenting some anti-theft wallet, say something to the effect of how, yes, and in Europe, you really have to look out for Gypsies.

Now, either she is ignorant of the fact that she slurred an ethnic group, or she doesn't care. Can you imagine if she had said some other ethnic, racial, or religious group? No matter...it was totally inappropriate.

Have you been to Rome? Tourism is their number one industry, and theft is the second. It is sad, but the host is exactly correct. You would likely not believe what I saw in just a few hours waiting in line to get into The Vatican. The thieves set up distractions of many kinds, and then wait for a tired tourist to be less vigilant than they were warned by the tour agents to be. The thieves are exactly who she said they were ~ sad but true.

Inappropriate? Not in my opinion. I wish I'd been warned about this very issue before I got on the tour bus so that I could have been better prepared with just such an anti-theft wallet before arriving in the midst of the best con artists on the planet. I understand your shock and dismay; if I had not seen these things if for myself, I wouldn't have believed it, either.

The truth isn't always pretty, nor appreciated. That doesn't make it untrue, just a hard fact about life.

My sons & I got the same warning, same wording, with very explicit instructions on what to look for & not to be alone if possible while we on a tour of northern Italy. In Florence & particularly Venice we were warned again before we got off the tour bus to be vigilant, especially at night. Quite a few of us were approached, each time with different tactics, but we were prepared. Calling it a racial slur doesn't change the facts of life or lessen its' effects. The tour bus driver didn't pull any punches about who we had to be wary of. Some also follow the tour bus routes. We saw the same group in the same places we were touring & we were approached again. It is what it is.

Respected Contributor

On 4/8/2015 CrystalBlue1 said:
On 4/8/2015 Crisso said: Why not start a post about the subject, minus the host comments? I did not see the post.

a host last night made a comment she is a melanoma survivor and allows herself one vacation per year to worship the sun and the rest of the time it is self tanners. I thought that was an irresponsible comment. I am not host bashing just calling out someone making such an irresponsible comment to millions of viewers who might believe that is acceptable.

I can't imagine why a viewer would take a comment like that and take it as acceptable advice. A viewer should clearly come away with the idea that a medical expert would be the best person to consult about such a condition.

I honestly think the thread was directed at slapping down the host.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Frequent Contributor

On 4/9/2015 Karnerblue said:
On 4/8/2015 CrystalBlue1 said:
On 4/8/2015 Crisso said: Why not start a post about the subject, minus the host comments? I did not see the post.

a host last night made a comment she is a melanoma survivor and allows herself one vacation per year to worship the sun and the rest of the time it is self tanners. I thought that was an irresponsible comment. I am not host bashing just calling out someone making such an irresponsible comment to millions of viewers who might believe that is acceptable.

I can't imagine why a viewer would take a comment like that and take it as acceptable advice. A viewer should clearly come away with the idea that a medical expert would be the best person to consult about such a condition.

I honestly think the thread was directed at slapping down the host.

I do not take advice from shopping channel hosts but there are people who may so she should be mindful of what she says, that my friend is not host bashing or slapping down a host it is simply speaking truth

Esteemed Contributor

I did not want to be unkind, but I was thinking along the lines of Citine and I just can't accept that anyone who has had melanoma would advise people to go in the sun for a week to tan. It is not only irresponsible but quite stupid. I am a fan of the host but my opinion of her has dropped a bit.
Honored Contributor

IMO it doesn't matter if you would take advice from a shopping channel host or not. To me that's not the point. She wasn't really giving any advice. Had she said it was okay for you to take 1 week and worship the sun, that would be advice. She was giving you her own experience, not telling others what to do. It's her business.

Does anyone remember Morgan Shick and her cosmetics on HSN? She used to sell a cream that had no SPF in it at all and she would stand there and tell viewers that with that cream, you didn't need an SPF, you could put it on and go out in the sun all day long, that's what she did and never burned, etc. This was before social media but back when the HSN boards were quite active and the boards lit up over her comments. She was gone not too long after that.

That to me was irresponsible because she was giving outright false information that could have gotten HSN in a lot of trouble. She was making false claims about products and you can't do that.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree but there are many viewers who get very involved with a host and their lives....sensible people would just ignore the remark but everyone isn't sensible. it just wasn't necessary to make the statement.
Respected Contributor

It amazes me that in the year 2015, that Shawn has no idea the dangerous condition she had. Melanoma kills. I had a friend who died in 9 months even with treatment and it is certainly not to be taken lightly.

I don't know what the state of Shawn's mind is....she has had a very rough few months but she really needs to get real. Apparently, she has no idea what a risk she is taking and it is disturbing that on air she said such a thing...

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/9/2015 stray770 said: I did not want to be unkind, but I was thinking along the lines of Citine and I just can't accept that anyone who has had melanoma would advise people to go in the sun for a week to tan. It is not only irresponsible but quite stupid. I am a fan of the host but my opinion of her has dropped a bit.

I guess someone doesn't agree with us, stray770. I see my comment that you are referring to has been deleted. Hmmmmm

Respected Contributor

I don't feel as though she was giving medical advice. I don't think any well-informed shopper would take it as medical advice. It's a comment she made about her personal life. Two different things.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."