Super Contributor

Re: Apparently you cannot talk about irresponsible comments, POOF

On 4/8/2015 ShellBell said:
On 4/8/2015 A Walker said:
On 4/8/2015 Klm said: My beloved sister passed away almost three years ago from melanoma, after many disfiguring surgeries and usless chemo. The doctors told me they had nothing to treat it. Melanoma is terrifying. I heard what the host said and just thought it was sad and irresponsible. Melanoma can occur any place in the body, even those areas never seen by the sun.

My heart goes out to you!! My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma 4 years ago and they gave him a 10% chance of survival. After 4 surgeries and a brutal round of chemo, his cancer remained. His surgeon told us he had 6 months at best. It was so heart wrenching!! His oncologist suggested we try a new form of chemo called Yervoy that had just received FDA approval. It was extremely expensive (thank goodness for insurance!) but it worked!! He's now two years in remission!! I'm so thankful!! And you are so right: Melanoma is terrifying and deadly! My husband never EVER goes out in the sun unless he's completely covered!!

OMG that is amazing and fantastic!!! I hope more and more success is obtained through these newer treatments! What a great story, unlike so many more we hear about melanoma.

It was incredible!! My husband never lost his sense of humor and I think that played a big role is his recovery too. They are coming up with amazing new drugs every day.

After all Klm went through with her sweet sister passing away from melanoma, it was uplifting to read about your dear husband's survival of a very serious stage 4!!!! I mean the devastation that brought to your family and then his recovery!!! Oh my gosh how wonderful! You're right... with the new drugs and new discoveries and things they use (like that HSV1) - it's just crazy that something right in front of our noses one day might be THE cancer cure! For him to have a sense of humor going through all of that...you had to be in constant tears FOR him being so brave. Okay I'm gonna stop now. Smile

Awww....thank you! I'm not sure my husband would call himself "brave" but he decided from the get go that the cancer wasn't going to beat him no matter what the doctors said. And, even though it was horrible it also had a silver lining: I learned that I was stronger than I thought and I also realized that, yes, I could deal with blood and vomit and not feel the need to vomit myself! LOL!! and I no longer sweat the small stuff. Both of us have a different view of life now and we cherish it so much more. Yes, that sounds so cheesy but it's true. And, while going through chemo, we met so many people that had it much harder than we did and that certainly can put lots of things in perspective.

I don't know how going through something as horrible as that could NOT change you both. I know you think it sounds cheesy but that's why they have country music, right?!? Wink Cheesy things like that are what gives hope to many people out there suffering. Without the miracles like your husband's, there would be no hope. Your husband made up his mind and it worked. So, be as corny as you like; appreciation for life has many faces!

PS - blood, vomit without vomiting = major accomplishment {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/8/2015 Crisso said:
On 4/8/2015 stevieb said:
On 4/8/2015 depglass said:

CrystalBlue1 was performing a public service calling out the person who implied one vacation's worth of sun was OK for people who have had Melanoma. I've been happy with the new kinder gentler moderators, but they are in error poofing this subject.

And I'm thinking they've gotten a little poof happy... One thread was deleted earlier today that violated absolutely no standards and contained absolutely no snarky remarks, no disagreements and no mention of hosts or vendors. It was simply a discussion of handbags currently sold on QVC. It appears as though the moderator misjudged the title and cut it loose without even looking... Not a huge issue, but QVC needs to ensure their moderators are held accountable and make reasoned, reasonable and informed decisions about what stays and what goes. At the end of the day, who's monitoring the monitors?

I may be in a position to answer this very question tomorrow.

I'll be very interested in hearing about that CrissoSmile

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 betteb said:
On 4/8/2015 Crisso said:

CrystalBlue1 was performing a public service calling out the person who implied one vacation's worth of sun was OK for people who have had Melanoma. I've been happy with the new kinder gentler moderators, but they are in error poofing this subject.

And I'm thinking they've gotten a little poof happy... One thread was deleted earlier today that violated absolutely no standards and contained absolutely no snarky remarks, no disagreements and no mention of hosts or vendors. It was simply a discussion of handbags currently sold on QVC. It appears as though the moderator misjudged the title and cut it loose without even looking... Not a huge issue, but QVC needs to ensure their moderators are held accountable and make reasoned, reasonable and informed decisions about what stays and what goes. At the end of the day, who's monitoring the monitors?

As would I!

Regular Contributor

On 4/8/2015 suzyQ3 said:

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have been to Rome.

Your post is disgusting in its painting a whole ethnic group with such a broad brush. It reminds me of all the stereotypes about blacks and Jews and Hispanics, etc.

I did not paint a whole ethnic group with anything. I said specifically that the people running the cons around The Vatican were of that group, and that was the truth.

Some people just can't handle the truth.

Respected Contributor

On 4/8/2015 Clover29 said:

Maybe it wouldn't have been poofed if you'd said "a host" rather than naming names? It did come across as host-bashing, whatever your intent.

Sometimes it isn't "bashing," but commenting on what someone in particular actually said.

It struck me as blatantly stupid to spend any time in the sun if one has had melanoma.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/8/2015 Klm said: My beloved sister passed away almost three years ago from melanoma, after many disfiguring surgeries and usless chemo. The doctors told me they had nothing to treat it. Melanoma is terrifying. I heard what the host said and just thought it was sad and irresponsible. Melanoma can occur any place in the body, even those areas never seen by the sun.

My heart goes out to you!! My husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma 4 years ago and they gave him a 10% chance of survival. After 4 surgeries and a brutal round of chemo, his cancer remained. His surgeon told us he had 6 months at best. It was so heart wrenching!! His oncologist suggested we try a new form of chemo called Yervoy that had just received FDA approval. It was extremely expensive (thank goodness for insurance!) but it worked!! He's now two years in remission!! I'm so thankful!! And you are so right: Melanoma is terrifying and deadly! My husband never EVER goes out in the sun unless he's completely covered!!

OMG that is amazing and fantastic!!! I hope more and more success is obtained through these newer treatments! What a great story, unlike so many more we hear about melanoma.

It was incredible!! My husband never lost his sense of humor and I think that played a big role is his recovery too. They are coming up with amazing new drugs every day.

After all Klm went through with her sweet sister passing away from melanoma, it was uplifting to read about your dear husband's survival of a very serious stage 4!!!! I mean the devastation that brought to your family and then his recovery!!! Oh my gosh how wonderful! You're right... with the new drugs and new discoveries and things they use (like that HSV1) - it's just crazy that something right in front of our noses one day might be THE cancer cure! For him to have a sense of humor going through all of that...you had to be in constant tears FOR him being so brave. Okay I'm gonna stop now. Smile

Awww....thank you! I'm not sure my husband would call himself "brave" but he decided from the get go that the cancer wasn't going to beat him no matter what the doctors said. And, even though it was horrible it also had a silver lining: I learned that I was stronger than I thought and I also realized that, yes, I could deal with blood and vomit and not feel the need to vomit myself! LOL!! and I no longer sweat the small stuff. Both of us have a different view of life now and we cherish it so much more. Yes, that sounds so cheesy but it's true. And, while going through chemo, we met so many people that had it much harder than we did and that certainly can put lots of things in perspective.

I don't know how going through something as horrible as that could NOT change you both. I know you think it sounds cheesy but that's why they have country music, right?!? Wink Cheesy things like that are what gives hope to many people out there suffering. Without the miracles like your husband's, there would be no hope. Your husband made up his mind and it worked. So, be as corny as you like; appreciation for life has many faces!

PS - blood, vomit without vomiting = major accomplishment {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

On 4/8/2015 betteb said:
On 4/8/2015 Crisso said:

Yes, Crisso, your comment caught my attention as well. Very interesting.....

The particular host that we are alluding to here-----when I began yelling at the tv when she was on.....that was when I knew that it is time to change the channel. One of the Qvc vendors is the 'dermatologist that she sees every-time she's in NY." I'm sure he will be thrilled with her comment.

Totally inane, irresponsible and immature.

I am so sorry for all of you who have suffered, and filled with happiness in the stories of survival.

Bless to all!

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 SandyLouWho said:
On 4/8/2015 suzyQ3 said:

Yes, as a matter of fact, I have been to Rome.

Your post is disgusting in its painting a whole ethnic group with such a broad brush. It reminds me of all the stereotypes about blacks and Jews and Hispanics, etc.

I did not paint a whole ethnic group with anything. I said specifically that the people running the cons around The Vatican were of that group, and that was the truth.

Some people just can't handle the truth.

Let's talk about this "truth."

My post was referring to my shock that a host would say something to the effect that you had better watch out for Gypsies when traveling.

She didn't say SOME Gypsies or "specifically that the people running the cons around the Vatica were of that group." She simply said "Gypsies."

That's the truth, and no, I can't handle it. It's pure bigotry in the same way as if she had slurred any other group based on some members.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Reading the amazing stories of survival and of tragic loss from the disease gives me a better sense as to the basis of outrage some people are having towards the flippant comment like that from a survivor. I find it very disturbing and normally I wouldn't say something like this but I truly think that she should go onair and make a statement that her comment was reckless and irresponsible. I really feel that strongly about it. It will never happen but she really should.

Trusted Contributor

Who cares who's monitoring the moderators? Do you think when you find out who monitors them that suddenly they are going to hire new monitors to make sure the boards are being monitored to your satisfaction? It amazes me how seriously some people take these forums. Really ridiculous waste of time,