Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone using Sisley Black Rose oil? Results?

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

Bella

The mark up is huge, but all skin care in Dept stores is.  Sisley is an exclusive product, made in one place in France.  Besides Neimans, Sak and, Barneys,Nordie,  only a few other places sell a few pieces from the line, like Costco. Costco sells about 8 products of sisley to members online only,  They are authorized.  I would not buy Sisley from Amazon or 3rd parties.  Most of the products sold on Ebay are gifts with purchase and samples.  Neimans gives free samples.

Dept stores pay commissions to sales associates, they pay high booth fees. I think the mark up is 500%, by the time it leaves the distributor.  Wow!

One thing is true, Europeans use more plant based products without all the anti aging bells and whistles than we do.We shy away from essential oils here, but they use them like crazy there. Sisley is the most coveted skin care in most of Europe and Korea and Japan .  I have been told that it is concidered high end there, but the prices here in the states are triple what they used to pay in Europe.

I say use what works. Cost doesn't have everything to do with quality or what works.  With me, I go so far with cost...then a line is drawn ...and not on my face either. LOL!

shoekitty, I had no idea that the markup was so high!! Wow!!

if Sisley is that expensive and it's so much less expensive in the EU maybe the OP could try to purchase it there and have it mailed back to the states. Alternatively, maybe a friend could bring it back if they were planning a trip to Europe (especially since these are small items).

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Montana wrote:
What does it do? Is it good for sensitive skin?

Very expensive but I would like to try it.

Shoekitty wrote

Montana, I have never used this oil.  I myself am so super, duper sensitive to oils.  I know this oil is totally absorbed into the skin, and users report it isn't oily, but IDK.

Here's hoping someone with sensitive skin has tried it, and can give you a review.  I do know if you are near a Saks, Neimans, or Nordie's they should be glad to give you a sample, or a couple samples.  I have to try things out for at least 2 weeks to decide

Respected Contributor

@bebe777

I am so sorry I just saw this!  Did you make the cleansing oil?  I will try to find the post.  Don't know if I'll succeed but I'll try or post again.  

Again, so sorry!

Honored Contributor

@Bella Carro wrote:

@bebe777

I am so sorry I just saw this!  Did you make the cleansing oil?  I will try to find the post.  Don't know if I'll succeed but I'll try or post again.  

Again, so sorry!

@Bella Carro , thank you, that was so thoughtful of you. Smiley Happy

I posted that on the day you got back to the QVC forums. Then I decided that you might not see it so I started the cleansing oil - I'd like feedback on ingredients (for oily, acne prone skin) thread which you were kind enough to reply to. -- The information was great and now I'm going back to the Internet to do so additional searching.

One of my best friends is an excellent massage therapist and she has also offered to help me out with this. lol, she and I have been talking about this for the past year but I didn't take action until almost all of my Rosewood Wonder Drops were gone. She's fairly sure that she has all the ingredients except for the (very expensive) rose oil. 

She's out of town until Labor Day, but she's loaned me her Essential Oils Desk Reference (by Essential Science Publishing). This process is going to take some time but I'm hoping that,  in the end, I'll have a customized cleansing oil for my face which I will know how to tweak in the future if I need to.

I'll probably make the first formulations without the rose oil and see how that goes. I think that Daniel Pry's acne zapper ingredient was probably the rosewood oil, so it may work out alright. 

You had mentioned where you had gotten your oils (competitively priced but not friendly). I wanted to mention that she gets all of her oils from Young Living because she feels they have the most effective active ingredients in them. There is a discount available for people in the industry. 

I'm sure I will have some questions in September so, if you are around then, I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks again!!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@bebe777 wrote:

@Bella Carro wrote:

What does it do and is it good for sensitive skin?

Here are the ingredients:  squalane, prune kernel oil, camelina seed oil, avocado oil  unsaponifiables, tocopherol, padina pavonica thallus extract, rose extract, pelargonium graveolens oil, michelia alba leaf oil, rosa domascena flower oil, caprylic/capric triglyceride, simmondsia chinesis seed oil, hydrogenated soy bean oil, (linalool, citronellol, limonene, eugenol).  

Squalane, yep, good for skin and a very light feeling oil.  This is what PTR uses in his "no oil" oil.  

Prune kernel, yep, good for skin.  Lots of omegas, high in oleic acid.  Def skin loving stuff.

Camelina seed oil, yep, another one great for skin with omegas, etc. 

Avocado oil unsaponifiables - of course, we all know avocado oil is great for skin. The unsaponifiables is the part of the oil that won't make soap.  Really not a big deal, but, it sure sounds fancy!

Tocopherol - ie Vit E

Padina pavonica thallus extract - a brown algea found abundanly in the Mediterranean.  There are some type of claims that it rejuvenates itself therefore it must follow that it will rejuvenate skin (?).  I could not find any peer reviewed research to back this up.  Personally, I'll go all day long with sea kelp bioferment from the north Atlantic and its reviewed research.

Rose extract - yeah, but really no great shakes and very easily found for not much cost.

Pelargonium graveolens oil - geranium essential oil.  Not especially great for skin and some may be very sensitive

Michelia alba leaf oil - supposed to smell really, really good and at one time was used in an Asian culture death ritual.  Everything I found states this is often a skin irritant.  But, it supposedly smells really good and it is costly.  

Rosa domascena flower oil - very expensive and smells fantastic if you like roses.  

Caprylic/capric triglyceride - a triester of glycerin and coconut oil fatty acids.  Very emollient, very light, very inexpensive

Simmondsia chinesis seed oil - jojoba oil (wax).  Closely resembles human sebum

Hydrogenated soy bean oil - why heat it with hydrogen and lose the benefits of the fatty acids?

$235 for under an ounce.  .84 of an ounce to be exact.  That works out to about $10 per ml.  For some very nice but not exactly remarkable oils, some prolific Mediterranean brown algea, sweet smelling but possibly irritating essential oils, and fairly common extract.  

That is some darn good marketing.

Bella Carro, thank you for taking the time to run down all these skin care ingredients. Your explanation were great and very helpful!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

P.S. I'm on the hunt for new cleansing oil to replace my Rosewood Wonder Drops. I came across a possible recipe this week and I'm thinking of trying to make a product myself. I've posted a new thread on this and I'd really appreciate your take on it. Thanks!!!

Bebe, I know you mentioned you were going to make a cleansing oil but there are a couple that I've read rave reviews on recently: Eclos Daily Facial Cleaning Oil carried at Ulta and runs $10.99 and The Body Shop's Camomile Silky Cleansing Oil which runs $19.00. If anyone has had any experience with either of these two products, I'd really appreciate your opinion on them. TIA

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Trusted Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

My HG with Sisley was the Global Anti Aging cream.  I started out paying 200 in 2003, by 2013 it is selling for 495.  Talk about increase.  I gave it up for another product, but  Costco sells it for 280, and I keep a jar on hard and use it once in a while.

Products I still use are the Sisleya eye lip cream,I cannot live without the Eau d Campagne  body lotion, and the bath gel.  Nothing compares, and I have tried.  I keep a bottle of Radiant Immediate Lift always.  Over or under make up fine lines  disappear.  It is magic.  Dies what it says.

One product of theirs that is excellent and I use everyday is the Phyto Extreme Mascara.  It gets great reviews everywhere.  Their stuff is just so dang expensive.  But these few products I have used for years (except mascara, it is only 2 years out in the market)  For me they work like nothing else.  I am 67, and I do have great skin if nothing else, LOL!

ShoeKitty, I think they changed the formulation of the Global Anti-age cream too. In 2011 I was given a six week supply and loved it, really debated about buying it. My skin looked really good. But recently I tried another sample and it immediately broke me out. When I read the label, it had dimethicone in it. I don't think the older version had it in it as I certainly didn't break out then and dimethicone has always broken me out. Dimethicone is a manmade silicone, definitely not a plant based ingredient which is what I thought Sisley used in all their products

What product did you switch to when you gave up the Global anti-age? I love their eye cream for moisture but I don't think it does anything for dark circles, bags or lifting the eye lids. I also occasionally use the Eye Contour Mask and I did love their Phyto Extreme Mascara but have stuck with Tarte's Lights Camera Lashes for the most part. I also have Sisley's Phyto Eclat Dark Circle Under eye concealer but I haven't been using it as I didn't find it to be that effective. I'll eventually use it up as I go through my stash though Woman Surprised

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!