Valued Contributor

Anyone use the mildest strength of retin A?

[ Edited ]

I saw my Dr today and asked about it. I'm just tired of buying one thing after another and not really getting results. I'm ready to try this but wondered what to expect and does it really have anti-aging properties. I have really dry sensitive skin .

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone use the mildest strength of retin A?

I will be making my yearly checkup visit to my dermatologist and think this time I will actually follow up on filling the prescription for Retin A.  For years now she has stated that it is the only thing that will offer help.  She swears against any of the cosmeceutical offerings that promise anti-aging that so many of us purchase at very high prices.   Try it.  The low doses are good. Sometimes you need to go slowly and adjust how often and what strength you use. Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, ladies, I, for one, use the mildest strength.  If you use the search bar above, there are numerous retin-a threads on this board, and you can learn a great deal.  You can also find many good tutorials on Youtube.  

I used retin-a continually for about a year and a half, then took a 6 month break last summer/fall.  I happened to find that I had a Walgreen's dupe of Roc a couple of months ago that I had forgot I had, and gave it a try.  I could see a difference overnight.  I believe I have become sensitized to retinols from previous use and may actually need LESS now.

I added back the 0.025 Tretinoin, and mixed it in with the Studio 35 retinol and acclimated back to retin-a. 

Someone on here stated that the lowest dose is actually as effective as the highest, and I went from the strongest down to the lowest this fall without irritation.  

You will see results if you give this a chance.  Go slow, moisturize, and don't forget your sunscreen. 

And thank you to all the lovely ladies who have posted their experiences on how to use retin-a here on the boards.

Honored Contributor

@Nadine@GrailSeeker@kjae

I like to use the lowest strength Renova... .025% tretinoin.

i can use it more extensively on more areas of my face. I never, ever have used a pea-sized amount. I find it is too much.

Enjoy using the film left on fingertips on areas like neck or hands.

I also use nothing else with it and use it at night.

By using this product every night for 30 years, I feel this small amount keeps stimulating collagen production. Crinkles are kept away.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Regular Contributor

I've been using Tretinoin .025 for about 10 years.  I am 76 and I think my skin looks pretty good. I use it at night, in the morning I use IT CC cream, its wonderful and has a spf of 50 !  I used to get my tretinoin at Costco but their price doubled to $80.00 a tube ! I use a pharmacy in Canada that's $40,00.  Of course  your doctor has to fax script to Canada. Tube lasts about 3 months.  Good luck !  Felinemom

Valued Contributor

Thanks so much for the replies. I'm anxious to get started with it. I'll look up the comments. I want to make sure I use it the correctly.

Valued Contributor

I’ve been using rx retin a since 1986 and yes it works. I’m 51 and look like I’m in my late 30s (even the young guys at work we’re shocked that I was in my 50s). I have no wrinkles at rest and no age spots on my face.

You are smart to start at the lowest strength, apply once every three nights for the first few weeks to ease your skin into it, gradually add more nights in until you’re using it every night. Be sure to wait about 30 min after cleansing before applying it as wet or damp skin increases the absorption. If you get irritation use something calming (I like replenix power of three serum) before applying the retin a, and as your skin acclimates switch to applying it after the retin a. Red LED will also help soothe irritation. When you can handle the .025% nightly with no irritation then you can step up to .05%. But even if you never step up you will see a big improvement eventually. If you search dr Cynthia bailey’s blog, she has a few old entries about how to use retin a and it is great info.

A good sunscreen is a must every day, and lay off anything irritating (other acids, scrubs, etc) until your skin adapts.

I find the ones with the very emollient bases (renova, refissa) were too heavy for me, the original works best for me. All day chemist is a good source for cheap retin a, I bought lots of tubes of the .05% (retino a made by Johnson & Johnson) for use on my forearms, hands, calves and upper arms. I’ve never had a problem with all day chemist . I use .1% on my face
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

i forgot to add that my skin was oily up until last year (menopause) and it’s combo now. I also live in FL, lots of heat and high humidity. If I lived in an arid climate I doubt I’d be able to be as aggressive as I am (I use glopro before retin a and don’t wait 30 min after cleansing my face to dermaroll and apply retin a). I did have to incorporate Dr. Denese hydroshield this winter though.

Super Contributor

I agree most with fluke67 she is correct on everything. I wish I started years ago. I will be 58 tomorrow and started Retinol a year ago and then started Retin a about 6 months ago with renova at .025% and now moved up to Refissa .05% that I love. It is a process and you need to go slow. I wash my face then put on Paula’s choice toner and then Josie milk then wait 30 mins and then put refissa on. It is true  Retin a , spf and moisturizer to protect skin barrier is the only thing that works. I went to utube and educated myself and it helped a lot. Dr dray is excellent.  Refissa is emollient so I would work up to that. Sometimes I put it on day after day and I have to back off a day or two. 

Super Contributor

Also I forgot to mention your face will look worse before it gets better but be patient and over the years your skin will be flawless. Also if you have dry sensitive skin make sure you use a moisturizer first and wait for it to dry 30 mins will help buffer the irritation.