Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone use the mildest strength of retin A?

I use .025% Tretinoin cream every night.  However, I buffer it. I don't put it directly on cleansed skin.  I found that was too irritating for me. I have normal/oily skin that can easily become dehyrated and reactive/sensitive.  I put on my serum, moisturizer, .025% Tretinoin cream, then tap in some argan oil or other lipid oil. I have been using Josie Maran products and First Aid Beauty products because they are simpler and not too many anti aging ingredients.  I let the Retin A and my SPF 47 be my anti aging ingredients.  Once or twice a week I will use a physical scrub exfoliant along with my gentle La Roche Posay Toleriane Hydrating Cleanser.  I use gentle pressure and this works well for exfoliation.  I do not use acids on my face. I feel that the Retin A is the star of the show and works very well. 

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003

Yes, I think that's a good idea.  I'll probably cut back to every other night and see how that goes.  Thanks for your input!

Respected Contributor

@mbee1967

I also use my Retin A over a moisturizer but I hadn't been putting anything on top of the Retin A.  Maybe an oil would help.  I do use 2% BHA alternating mornings with a Vitamin C serum so maybe that's too many acids too.  I'm not going to continue with the Vitamic C serum once it's gone because I don't see any results from it, but I'm going to continue with the BHA because it has done wonders for the blackheads and pores on my nose! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I need to get a good sunscreen, what do you all use? I think I want a tinted one.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NadineI use Josie Maran SPF 47 Tinted Protect and Perfect mixed with Australian Gold Botanical SPF50 Tinted Face Lotion. This gives the perfect amount of moisture for my skin but dries down very nicely mixing with the Australian Gold product which is more matte.  I use 3-4 pumps of Josie Maran SPF 47 and equal amount of Australian Gold SPF50. Mix them togehter on my fingers and rub in and then press all around.  Wait 30 minutes and put on a cream blush and cream bronzer by IT Cosmetics.  This routine is perfect for my skin!! I like a dewy look not matte and dried out.  

Frequent Contributor

@Texasmouse I find that the "less is more" approach is best when using Retin A.  The Retin A does so much for the skin.  Too many acids can really irritate the skin when using such an active ingredient like Tretinoin.  You may end up hurting your skin more then helping when you put too many "active" ingredients.  Awhile ago I thought that Retin A was too strong for my skin but it was not the Retin A but all the other anti aging ingredients in my routine along with it that was causing problems. Just my experience. Perhaps you can wash your face with a BHA cleanser instead of a leave on product.  I do this sometimes in the summer months.  Adding in a exfoliating cleanser could be better because it does not stay on the skin too long.  Give it a try.  The one I like is Zapzyt 2% BHA cleanser or Cerave SA Cleanser.

Valued Contributor

I ordered another jar of Atopalm. I've been having good luck with it. Whenever I have a reaction to something that's the product that clears it up. I'm still wondering if I should contune with the Ordinary Buffet. I'm going to start with retin-a only twice a week. Anyway I'll be using Atopalm as my moisturizer.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

I need to get a good sunscreen, what do you all use? I think I want a tinted one.

@Nadine

It just so happens I picked up some Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream today because I remember trying it before and liking it.  It's a tinted moisturizer that's not too heavy and leaves a dewy finish.  It has an SPF of 30 and is rated highly on Beautypedia. I had moved on to other, more expensive tinted sunscreens but found them too drying. HTH

Valued Contributor

Thanks, I'll    take a look at that one