Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone use the mildest strength of retin A?

I was able to start at higher levels, but now have to use the lowest strength every other night.  My skin got drier and I couldn't tolerate the higher levels.  I have even had to go a couple weeks not using it.

I used to use it on my neck, decollette, and under my eyes.  I have had to go to non prescription strength in those areas.

I have also read the opinion that the lower strength is just as helpful for anti-aging.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

I have been using Retin A for about 25 years and I am 68 years old. Mine is not the lowest strength but I am actually going to talk to my derm and see if I should lower it. I have not had any adverse reactions. It bothers my neck so I don't use it there but do use it on my face and backs of my hands. Make sure that you don't get near the corners of your mouth or nose. At night I don't use anything else other than Josie's Divine Drip and a dab of her Reserve. I do this in the winter months when my skin is exceptionally dry. I agree that so many of these serums that we have fallen prey to, don't do much of anything. Another important component is wearing sunscreen daily. Retin A will cause hypersensitivity so SPF is a must. Sunscreen in makeup is definitely not enough coverage so make sure that you use a separate SPF. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
@Nadine wrote:

I saw my Dr today and asked about it. I'm just tired of buying one thing after another and not really getting results. I'm ready to try this but wondered what to expect and does it really have anti-aging properties. I have really dry sensitive skin .

Tretinoin (Retin-A) makes you look younger because it basically does three things:

1- promotes cell growth at the molecular level

2- inhibits a skin enzyme found to break down collagen, resulting in thickening of the skin

3- inhibits the production of melanin produced by melanocytes, resulting in fading dark spots.

No other substance can do all of these things in one step. I use a 0.050% cream. I started with a retinol cream first then after about a year when my skin got adjusted to using a retinoid, that was when I started using tretinoin. I found some internet articles that mentioned a 1% retinol has similar affects to about a 0.025% tretinoin. But this info is not scientifically backed so it probably will vary greatly from person to person.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all so much! I took notes and this has been so helpful. I wondered about the moisturizer first, that won't creat a barrier so the retin A won't absorb? I need to go back and read this thread again, I know there was mention of different serums etc to use. I'm thinking I shouldn't use anything with actives or awhile, not even in the daytime, is that correct?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nadine The retin a will still absorb with a normal moisturizer and will temper the retin a a bit. It’s a good technique to try as you’re easing into tretinoin and you’re worried about sensitivity and irritation. I would lay off other actives (acids, scrubs) until your skin adapts, and instead incorporate things that will help with sensitivity and increase hydration.You’ll find that retin a reduces oil production which also can exacerbate sensitivity. Do not forget about sunscreen, don’t just rely on what’s in makeup.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

After a mix up at the pharmacy They finally filled my script so I'll start tonight. I'll apply moisturizer and then wait wait 30 minutes to apply the retin-A . I use perricone nueropeptide serum and night cream and wondered if I should continue with that on my off nights. I also use Ordinary Buffet and B serum in the mornig . Should I continue with those products? Also wondered which moisturizer would be best to use?  I read through some threads and using a moisturizer first seems to be the best way to go. I wondered if a lighter moisturizer would be best or does it matter? Also what is a good sunscreen?  I realy wonder if I'll need to continue with the perricone products at all.

Respected Contributor

@Nadine

I think you'll be fine continuing the moisturizers and serum that you're using but remember to start the Retin A slowly, don't use it every night. I'm sure your dermatologist gave you instructions on how to use it.

As far as a sunscreen goes, a good sunscreen is one that you'll use so you have to like the consistency and ease of application (and reapplication) because sunscreen is not negotiable, it's a  must while you're on Retin A. If a chemical sunscreen doesn't sting your eyes, you could use that kind. The mineral sunscreens are great but can be thick and greasy and most will leave a white cast. I get around this by using one that's tinted. In any case, you need to use a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 DAILY, rain or shine. HTH

Respected Contributor

wrote:

I was able to start at higher levels, but now have to use the lowest strength every other night.  My skin got drier and I couldn't tolerate the higher levels.  I have even had to go a couple weeks not using it.

I used to use it on my neck, decollette, and under my eyes.  I have had to go to non prescription strength in those areas.

I have also read the opinion that the lower strength is just as helpful for anti-aging.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003

I started on the lowest dose last August but lately, I have found that my skin has gotten very dry as well. I've kept on using the Retin A nightly and just bumped up to a thicker moisturizer but my face still feels like it's shrink-wrapped under my tinted sunscreen by the end of the day. I've been contemplating incorporating a facial oil to combat the dryness but if I use one and still have dry skin, I may have to cut my use of the Retin A to every other night, as you have.

Valued Contributor

I read a couple of blogs today, one said she used it once a week for a month, then 2 times a week for a month and so on, each month she would add an extra day. Another blog said she has been ustin retin-A for over twenty years and has never used a moisturizer first because she wanted the full effect of the product. It does get confusing.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003

I started on the lowest dose last August but lately, I have found that my skin has gotten very dry as well. I've kept on using the Retin A nightly and just bumped up to a thicker moisturizer but my face still feels like it's shrink-wrapped under my tinted sunscreen by the end of the day. I've been contemplating incorporating a facial oil to combat the dryness but if I use one and still have dry skin, I may have to cut my use of the Retin A to every other night, as you have.

@Texasmouse

I would back off using it every night.  Maybe go to twice a week, then every other day if you tolerate it twice a week.  I only use it every other night now.  Your skin doesn't look very good if you get redness or flaking, like I did.  I have had itching if I use it too frequently.  Every other night is as much as I can tolerate.  I have even skipped it for 1-2 weeks in the winter.

Hyacinth